Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you do if you had economic freedom?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've been listening to this self help program called The Science of Self- Confidence by Brian Tracy. In the section about the importance of setting goals and making plans to achieve them, Brian Tracy poses the following questions:

what would you do if you had economic freedom?

how would you spend your money?

what kind of home and car would you purchase?

how would you spend your free time?

what kind of business would you own?

what would your activities and hobbies consist of?

where would you travel to? Where would you live?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Oh it's too much for my little peabrain.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be like Chapelle Show Cribs.

Wonderwoman1432
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Think about it :) nothing is impossible.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Oh it's too much for my little peabrain.

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would pay off my home and build a stone wall around my property. I would send my children to Ireland to pay respects to their Grandfathers grave. I would take my family to NY by train so I could see my Nana before she dies. Then dh and I would settle in for a comfy retirement. 

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I'd buy a  modest house and car.  Not something huge and expensive, just enough space for me and my son and our dog... and not a total dump.  I like the idea of fixing up something or building my own so I can pick what I want.  I'm  not extravagant so even if I won the lottery I wouldn't be out buying boats and a ton of crap I don't need.

Travel was a hobby when I was younger and child free.  Mine is getting old enough to start taking him on adventures, it's just time and money that is the issue.

If money weren't an issue, I'd probably start a nonprofit school to teach jobless people useful skills to get a job.  You'd be surprised at how many people don't know basic computer skills but want to work in an office.  Bookkeeping is something that will always keep you employed at a liveable wage.  Going back to college and getting a degree is a great goal, but many newly single moms need skills NOW in order to survive.  The stuff offered by the unemployment office is a joke and no one can support their families on minimum wage flipping burgers.

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I'd like to think that I would also be socially responsible as well.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I would buy a complete handicap accessible home--

I would donate my current home to someone in need of a home

I would use lots of the money to get adequate equipment for my son for his extensive special needs

I would hire a full time live in health care aide and have 3 back up

I would open a homeless shelter for families

I would travel to Hawaii

My free time I would be going to coffee shops, getting my hair done, and just enjying my self

We would live maybe Tennessee?  

I would purchase a brand new handicap accessible van 

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

what would you do if you had economic freedom? I would do a lot of things lol

how would you spend your money? I would definitely save more than I spend.

what kind of home and car would you purchase? I am a minimalist, I would buy a bigger house but not much bigger. There was a home here that was perfect for us. It had a yard, a garage, a finished basement, lovely kitchen, a dining room, an office off the dining room, a living room, 4 good sized bedrooms and one bedroom that was good for my husband and foster son to have as an office, 2 finished bathrooms and a half bathroom in the storage area, and a good yard for our two dogs, it was only 100k. For a car I would get a Toyota Camary, I told my husband when we had one as a rental, they are made for chicks with big boobies!

how would you spend your free time? the same way I spend it now, with my daughter or doing charity work

what kind of business would you own? I would own an art studio/gallery with one of my good friends :-) and I would get my husband a better area for his wrestling ring and maybe a bigger one to train it...he's a 6 ft man training in a 12x12 ring :-(

what would your activities and hobbies consist of? same thing as now...my hobbies and activities have always changed. I mean I might eat out at some more expensive places just to try them...I think I would feel more justified if I had some more money.

where would you travel to? Where would you live? Probably just to our homelands...Puerto Rico, Spain, and Germany...the same places we plan to travel now when we are older and the kidlets are older. I think we'd live in the same town we are in now, unless I find better work elsewhere similar to now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I am perfectly happy with the amount of money we have. I have everything I want but I don't desire extravagance. If I was extremely wealthy I would love to donate a huge amount to a children's cancer hospital, set up a scholarship program for a particular private school I love, and actually be a guest at one of the high end fund raisers I volunteer at for once.
kryptomom
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

What is economic freedom?  Can you ever really achieve it?  You can't plan for every future situation.  It's impossible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)