Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

buying the kid guns for his fourth birthday

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

NERF guns anyway.

He loves shooting at targets we draw on the fridge or dishwasher. 

So we are getting him his own nerf gun or two and lots of darts. (plus some clothes and some books for his tag pen, and maybe a couple big boots toys... oh and the firetruck backpack he keeps eyeballing on Amazon, LOL! every time he gets on my kindle he goes and looks at it on the shopping app, its a good thing I disabled one click buying or else we'd already have it!)

Anyway... yeah, buying our kid a gun... *bad mommy*

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM
My five year old has all of those nerf guns I don't see the big deal about buying a kid a nerf gun they are obvi toys n they have fun playing with them. Hope he has a great bday :))
kzuehlk
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Nerf guns are awesome! Unfortunately SO doesn't do toy guns
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Guns are guns and as such, they promote violence.   Get it for him anyway, but put the target on your forehead.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Guns are guns and as such, they promote violence.   Get it for him anyway, but put the target on your forehead.

we could put targets on our foreheads all day long and he wouldn't shoot at them. Because he knows better than to point them at people, he doesnt want to shoot them at people, he asks me to get them out so he can "shoot at the fridge" It is playing for him, but not rambunctious play.

(insert long rant on guns and gun safety) I am pretty confident our son isnt going to go kill anyone because we let him have a TOY

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting ErikaRobin:

we could put targets on our foreheads all day long and he wouldn't shoot at them. Because he knows better than to point them at people, he doesnt want to shoot them at people, he asks me to get them out so he can "shoot at the fridge" It is playing for him, but not rambunctious play.

(insert long rant on guns and gun safety) I am pretty confident our son isnt going to go kill anyone because we let him have a TOY

I could tell by your title that you wanted to talk about this and someone had to be first to take your bait, so let's say I agree with your bad mommy comment.  ;)

Go ahead.  Defend yourself. 

Oh, and make sure you post a video of you with a target on your head and the little man NOT aiming at it, because "he knows better".  lol.  I want to see that.

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting ErikaRobin:

I could tell by your title that you wanted to talk about this and someone had to be first to take your bait, so let's say I agree with your bad mommy comment.  ;)

Oh, and make sure you post a video of you with a target on your head and the little man NOT aiming at it, because "he knows better".  lol.  I want to see that.

you'd be surprised. He actually follows rules very well. Now, DD on the other hand... LMAO, she's the bratty one who'd be shooting everyone, but she doesnt have big enough hands for that yet. I don't think that Nerfs and real guns have any sort of relationship in a home where both live (we don't have any real guns but most of our family does, we were both raised with them in the home and taught safety, and our dads are already looking forward to sharing their gun hobby with DS if he shows interest so there will be guns in his life even though they arent at home)  After all... I had a healthy collection of water guns as a kid, and you bet that I went after my brothers and sisters with them... and then I'd come inside where my stepdad would be cleaning his guns and getting them ready for hunting season (during which they'd almost always just be resting against the door jam (unloaded, but we were always to assume they were loaded)... Out of the five of us kids, not one of us ever handled those weapons without adult supervision and guidance and we certainly never shot anyone! 

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting ErikaRobin:

you'd be surprised. He actually follows rules very well. Now, DD on the other hand... LMAO, she's the bratty one who'd be shooting everyone, but she doesnt have big enough hands for that yet. I don't think that Nerfs and real guns have any sort of relationship in a home where both live (we don't have any real guns but most of our family does, we were both raised with them in the home and taught safety, and our dads are already looking forward to sharing their gun hobby with DS if he shows interest so there will be guns in his life even though they arent at home)  After all... I had a healthy collection of water guns as a kid, and you bet that I went after my brothers and sisters with them... and then I'd come inside where my stepdad would be cleaning his guns and getting them ready for hunting season (during which they'd almost always just be resting against the door jam (unloaded, but we were always to assume they were loaded)... Out of the five of us kids, not one of us ever handled those weapons without adult supervision and guidance and we certainly never shot anyone! 

Whatever gets you to sleep at night. 

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Okay, here we go, let's educate the ignorant toy gun haters :).

Toy guns do not promote violence. I'll agree in the last 50 yrs we have seen an increase in violence. However, can we really pin this increase on toy weaponry? No, we absolutely can not.

Toy weaponry has been around since the weapon was created. Children used to play with toy swords when swords were the weapon of choice, toy bows and arrows, and more recently - toy guns. Toy weapons have been the control in human society. They have always been around - that hasn't changed. In order to determine what HAS contributed to the increase in violence we have seen in the past 60-70 yrs you need to look elsewhere. So - I'll point out a FEW of the variables that HAVE changed the last 60 - 70 years. These variables could easily have contributed to the increase of violence we see in society today. Whereas - the CONTROL - toy weaponry, hasn't changed - these examples HAVE.

- an increase of mental disorder diagnosis. 60-70 years ago if your child was very active, didn't look you in the eyes, or talked back - he or she was just being a kid. They didn't prescribe a pill to fix it, you parented. I'm not saying every child now with these diagnosis, don't have it. I know many many do. But I also know so many do not, they are just normal kids.

- an increase in processed foods. 60 - 70 yrs ago people made their own food. Processed food was much more expensive, and so - you made your own macaroni and cheese. You had your own chickens and gardens - etc. As time went on, processed foods becane more accessible and more people bought them.

- mom started working away from home. Sorry but its true, as mom started working, you saw in increase in violence - drug use, and unwed pregnancies.

- an increase in violence in tv and music. Let's face it folks - we make violence look freakin awesome. A-team, taken, fast and the furious. 70 yrs ago that was not the case AT ALL.

- an increase of financial hardship. Lets face it, the economy has been awful for at least ten years here. When have we seen the greatest increase in violence... People are desperate.

These issues make much more sense to blame than toy weaponry - again those have been around forever and you didt see the violence we do now. If toy guns were the issue wouldn't toy swords have been too? Wouldn't we all be barbarians by now? Everyone killing to get what they want? I'm just saying - according to any study you find - if the control hasn't caused the problem - then its got to be one or more of the variables. Basic science 101 folks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)