Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

And this is why so many Witches are still in the Broom Closet

Posted by   + Show Post
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/07/16891343-accused-witch-tortured-burned-alive-in-papua-new-guinea?lite=
Accused witch tortured, burned alive in Papua New Guinea

Post Courier via AP

Bystanders watch as a woman accused of witchcraft is burned alive in the Western Highlands provincial capital of Mount Hagen in Papua New Guinea on Wednesday.

Assailants stripped, tortured and bound a woman accused of witchcraft, then burned her alive in front of hundreds of witnesses in a Papua New Guinea town, police said Friday after one of the highest profile sorcery-related murders in this South Pacific island nation.

Some of the hundreds of bystanders took photographs of Wednesday's brutal slaying. Grisly pictures were published on the front pages of the country's biggest circulating newspapers, The National and Post-Courier. The prime minister, police and diplomats condemned the killing.

Kepari Leniata, a 20-year-old who had a child, had been accused of sorcery by relatives of a 6-year-old boy who died in the hospital the day before, police spokesman Dominic Kakas said.

Advertise | AdChoices

She was tortured with a hot iron rod, bound, doused in gasoline, then set alight on a pile of car tires and trash in the Western Highlands provincial capital of Mount Hagen, Kakas said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Simon Kauba on Friday blasted Mount Hagen investigators by phone for failing to make a single arrest, Kakas said.

Follow @NBCNewsWorld

The public were apparently not cooperating with police and police carrying out the investigation were not working hard enough, Kakas said.

"He was very, very disappointed that there's been no arrest made as yet," Kakas said.

"The incident happened in broad daylight in front of hundreds of eyewitnesses and yet we haven't picked up any suspects yet. He was very, very curious about that and he blasted the investigators on the phone," Kakas added.

Kakas described the victim's husband as the "prime suspect." The husband had fled the province, Kakas said. Kakas said he did not know if there were a relationship between the husband and the dead boy's family.

Sorcery has traditionally been countered by sorcery in Papuan New Guinean culture. But responses to sorcery allegations have become increasingly violent in recent years.

Kakas said the death was the first sorcery-related murder in Papua New Guinea in a year.

Police Commissioner Tom Kulunga described the murder as "shocking and devilish."

"We are in the 21st century and this is totally unacceptable," Commissioner Kulunga said in a statement.

He suggested courts be established to deal with sorcery allegations, as an alternative to villagers dispensing justice.

Prime Minister Pete O'Neill said he had instructed police to use all available manpower to bring the killers to justice.

"It is reprehensible that women, the old and the weak in our society should be targeted for alleged sorcery or wrongs that they actually have nothing to do with," O'Neill said.

The U.S. Embassy in the national capital Port Moresby issued a statement calling for a sustained international partnership to enhance anti-gender-based violence laws throughout the Pacific.

The embassy of Australia, Papua New Guinea's colonial ruler until independence in 1975 and now its biggest foreign aid donor, said "We join ... all reasonable Papua New Guineans in looking forward to the perpetrators being brought to justice."

The Associated Press
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Replies (61-69):
Oceana09
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Tell me about it....I had what i like to call "The golf ball" eyes...lol

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Holy shit.

Quoting Oceana09:

I had a friend that had no idea about my spirituality and she started going off one day about how they needed to make it legal to burn all the pagans and the wiccans because they are all "the devils children". I wasn't about to tell her that she had a pagan sitting in her living room.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

And pretty much, if someone didn't like you, you were dead. An accusation was all it took. Most of the time the "trial" would kill the accused. If it did, then they were considered to be innocent, and in God's hands now. If it didn't, you were executed as a witch because only a witch could survive.

Quoting Oceana09:

You know how they used to determine a witch during the Salem witch trials? If they had any "impurities" such as moles. If that were still the case I would be SCREWED. A woman doesn't have to "run around claiming to be a withc" to be considered one. Obviously this didn't happen in a tribe if she was burned on car tires and there were police involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

This was in PHG...where they still have tribes and cannibals....and eat weird big spiders.....wtf?!?!?! Of course they don't want some whacko claiming to be a witch running around!

Brent Jacob
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Jazmyn Rose
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
I am a caring, loving, single mom of two beautiful kids. I firmly believe in the Law of Attraction and I try to help others that believe the same. Come check out our group "Finding the Secret" to find out more http://www.cafemom.com/group/118498.
brebugmom91
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Wow. That's horrible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

It's so bizarre and unfortunate that persecution like this still goes on against all different kinds of people. Hopefully the people that did this will be brought to justice soon.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

If you reprove someone, you yourself get carried away by anger and you are satisfying your own passion; do not lose yourself, therefore, in order to save another

The.Hug.Life
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Well, they weren't exactly picky about what they ate. Cat's good eatin'. Just kidding--first thought in my head.

I swear that our old cat was DH's familiar. It's just something I know, innately. I bought a special pentacle for him with a cat decoration for the first Yule after she passed. 

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Not just Americans. The Burning Times lasted for years and thousands of people were killed all across Europe. It was also one of the main catalysts for the Black Plague, as cats were thought to be associated with Witches and Satan and were killed by the thousands as well.

Quoting vetNmommy:

I am not surprised.  My MIL who is from Mexico swears someone put a spell on her and that is why she is sick.  She sees 'witches" here and they are "helping" her rid the spell.  She also now has all these crazy things in her house to ward off evil spells and spirits. "sigh"

American during the Colonial days went through something very similar.  It was horrible!  History always repeats itself.

raye-chan
by Raye on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Wow.... That is so sad :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The.Hug.Life
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

That's when I would have quietly excused myself and make a run for the exit. Holy shit!

Quoting Oceana09:

I had a friend that had no idea about my spirituality and she started going off one day about how they needed to make it legal to burn all the pagans and the wiccans because they are all "the devils children". I wasn't about to tell her that she had a pagan sitting in her living room.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

And pretty much, if someone didn't like you, you were dead. An accusation was all it took. Most of the time the "trial" would kill the accused. If it did, then they were considered to be innocent, and in God's hands now. If it didn't, you were executed as a witch because only a witch could survive.

Quoting Oceana09:

You know how they used to determine a witch during the Salem witch trials? If they had any "impurities" such as moles. If that were still the case I would be SCREWED. A woman doesn't have to "run around claiming to be a withc" to be considered one. Obviously this didn't happen in a tribe if she was burned on car tires and there were police involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

This was in PHG...where they still have tribes and cannibals....and eat weird big spiders.....wtf?!?!?! Of course they don't want some whacko claiming to be a witch running around!

GaleJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the ultimate result when people cling to medieval religious superstitions rather than understanding that sorcery doesn't affect medical outcomes. It is 2013 and people who are modern enough to have taken pictures of this travesty should be aware that science is what governs the natural world.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Wow....just wow

AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN