Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can someone explain exactly why the mom who put her kid on a diet is getting all this backlash?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
From what I've heard her 7 year old was obese. She weighed 93lbs. So her mom put her on a diet when everything else failed. The girl is now at a healthy weight.

Am I missing something?

The people on Anderson cooper are ripping this woman apart for it.

I think this story went viral.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear55
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I understand it could hurt a child self image to tell your child they need to go on a diet, but if the goal is too make them healthier, then I don't see the problem

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM
There is a big difference between teaching your children portion control and to make healthy food choices, and putting your kid on a diet. Dieting in general is unhealthy, but for a child, you are setting them up for a life time of body image and self esteem issues
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Putting a child that young on a diet can lead to body image problems. It would make the child feel like she wasn't good enough for her mom to love her the way she is. It can lead to eating disorders also.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
So what do you suggest for a 93 lb. 7 year old?

Quoting Anonymous:

Putting a child that young on a diet can lead to body image problems. It would make the child feel like she wasn't good enough for her mom to love her the way she is. It can lead to eating disorders also.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
But she said nothing else was working. So she had to go extreme.

The pediatrician told her your dd is clinically obese.

Idk. At least she didn't ignore it and say it was just baby fat like so many parents do.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a big difference between teaching your children portion control and to make healthy food choices, and putting your kid on a diet. Dieting in general is unhealthy, but for a child, you are setting them up for a life time of body image and self esteem issues

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Mom Puts 7-Year-Old Daughter on Strict Diet

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:18PM

Dara-Lynn Weiss explained why she decided to put her overweight 7-year-old daughter on a strict diet, and said she did it because of health-related reasons: her child has high blood pressure. Dara-Lynn said she was approached by Vogue magazine to write an article about it, and even authored a book documenting her experience, "The Heavy."

Co-host Kimora Lee Simmons also commented on the situation, saying Dara-Lynn's move to put her story on the glossy pages of Vogue seemed contradictory, since high fashion magazines are covered with rail-thin supermodels.

Dara-Lynn's decision to put her young child on a diet was certainly controversial among our "Anderson Live" audience members and social media fans, with many questioning whether the mom did for her own selfish reasons, or after consideration of her child's best interests. Dara-Lynn revealed that she was also an overweight child, and struggled with her weight for many years.

Other audience members applauded the mom for bravely putting her story out there, and for instilling smart and healthy habits in her daughter at such a young age.

Do you think this mom did the right thing?

Are you concerned about how your child perceives weight and health? Dr. Robyn Silverman, body image expert and author of "Good Girls Don't Get Fat," shares her top tips for raising a child with a healthy outlook on weight.
Quoting Anonymous:

From what I've heard her 7 year old was obese. She weighed 93lbs. So her mom put her on a diet when everything else failed. The girl is now at a healthy weight.

Am I missing something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM
How do you know that restricted portions and better options weren't what the mom's diet was?

Quoting Anonymous:

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

have you seen her talk about it?    she was on some daytime show - dr phil most likely if i was home to see it.   she is a total b.    she is completely cold about the subject.   she didnt let her dd learn from her mistakes and did many things i found emotionally abusive.    the fact of the matter is - the person happens to be a really mean person who comes off as cold and uncaring.    vane and shallow - its not just the diet - its the particular lady -  see if you can youtube her interviews and you will see what i mean.   diets are fine.   getting kids healthy is great.  but she is a b.  just because she behaves that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM
The mom said she also exercised with her and she went from being 93 pounds and clinically obese to a healthy weight.

Quoting Sassy762:

Mom Puts 7-Year-Old Daughter on Strict Diet

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:18PM

Dara-Lynn Weiss explained why she decided to put her overweight 7-year-old daughter on a strict diet, and said she did it because of health-related reasons: her child has high blood pressure. Dara-Lynn said she was approached by Vogue magazine to write an article about it, and even authored a book documenting her experience, "The Heavy."

Co-host Kimora Lee Simmons also commented on the situation, saying Dara-Lynn's move to put her story on the glossy pages of Vogue seemed contradictory, since high fashion magazines are covered with rail-thin supermodels.

Dara-Lynn's decision to put her young child on a diet was certainly controversial among our "Anderson Live" audience members and social media fans, with many questioning whether the mom did for her own selfish reasons, or after consideration of her child's best interests. Dara-Lynn revealed that she was also an overweight child, and struggled with her weight for many years.

Other audience members applauded the mom for bravely putting her story out there, and for instilling smart and healthy habits in her daughter at such a young age.

Do you think this mom did the right thing?

Are you concerned about how your child perceives weight and health? Dr. Robyn Silverman, body image expert and author of "Good Girls Don't Get Fat," shares her top tips for raising a child with a healthy outlook on weight.
Quoting Anonymous:

Am I missing something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I dont, I dont know the situation at all. I am simply stating dieting for children (in general) is bad

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know that restricted portions and better options weren't what the mom's diet was?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN