Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can someone explain exactly why the mom who put her kid on a diet is getting all this backlash?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
From what I've heard her 7 year old was obese. She weighed 93lbs. So her mom put her on a diet when everything else failed. The girl is now at a healthy weight.

Am I missing something?

The people on Anderson cooper are ripping this woman apart for it.

I think this story went viral.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
wilesmomma
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Well she got that fat somehow. Maybe mom should reevaluate how she was raising her. Instead of a diet, it should have been a lifestyle change.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
She is on Anderson cooper and she seems perfectly OK to me.

I would come across as a bitch tooif I had bitches down my throat

Quoting AmaliaD:

have you seen her talk about it?    she was on some daytime show - dr phil most likely if i was home to see it.   she is a total b.    she is completely cold about the subject.   she didnt let her dd learn from her mistakes and did many things i found emotionally abusive.    the fact of the matter is - the person happens to be a really mean person who comes off as cold and uncaring.    vane and shallow - its not just the diet - its the particular lady -  see if you can youtube her interviews and you will see what i mean.   diets are fine.   getting kids healthy is great.  but she is a b.  just because she behaves that way.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Everyone has a diet or are on a diet. A diet is simply the food we eat...what you just described about healthy choices and portion control that is a diet. Dieting is not unhealthy, only having a bad diet is unhealthy...we all are on diets if we consume any calories at all. Allowing a child to be overweight is what sets them up for body and esteem issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a big difference between teaching your children portion control and to make healthy food choices, and putting your kid on a diet. Dieting in general is unhealthy, but for a child, you are setting them up for a life time of body image and self esteem issues
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I can understand that it can lead to body image issues, but so can deny the fact that a child is obese. Obesity isn't only aesthetically unpleasant, it's unhealthy. So what's so good about telling an obese child to love and accept herself as she is?
Now, I don't know how much a kid that age beefs an actual diet. I know each child is different, but my boys eat full fat, full sugar stuff and they're actually pretty thin. They have a balanced diet with the occasional treats every child deserves and exercise in moderation at school and afternoon swimming lessons and they have no problem staying slim. In fact, I wish my oldest fad a bit more meat in those bones. So I'm wondering what obese kids eat or how little movement they get to get that way.
Having said that, I think that a simple change in eating habits and some daily exercise should be enough, not an actual diet. But I would personally consult my doctor and a nutriologist who knows about children to recommend a good "diet". If my child becomes obese, it's obvious I'm doing something wrong and it's probably out of ignorance, so I would get help from those who know better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM
So if your child was obese and had high blood pressure at 7 years old, you wouldn't put the child on a diet?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont, I dont know the situation at all. I am simply stating dieting for children (in general) is bad

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know that restricted portions and better options weren't what the mom's diet was?

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a big difference between teaching your children portion control and to make healthy food choices, and putting your kid on a diet. Dieting in general is unhealthy, but for a child, you are setting them up for a life time of body image and self esteem issues

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

That mom won't win either way.  To be honest with you, what should the mom do to appease the public?  Maybe her "dieting" was abortion teaching her proper portion control and better options and eating smart.

When I was a kid, I had a friend who was on a constant "diet."  This started when she was about 7 years old.  Why?  Because her mom was obese...her grandmother was obese...her aunts were obese...her cousins were obese.  She was already about 80 pounds at 7 years old and her mom was terrified for her.  She was already showing signs of health issues.  Her mother worked incredibly closely with her doctors to put her on a diet and teach her how to eat healthy and portion control and making smart eating choices.  Her mother did not want her to experience what she experienced herself all throughout childhood and into adulthood...her mother wanted her daughter to live a long, healthy life.  You know what - it worked!  She was taught these things early on and she has carried them throughout her life. 

I think people are going to say something whatever she does. 

miley113012
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
If my child is that weight at that age i would put her on a diet as well as rude and cruel kids are today in society it would drive a kid to disorders as well suicide..i think that was a great move to help your kid make healthy decisions..She should have done it before she got that high on the scale but sum times you don't even realize how big and fast a kid can get i guess..
SillySally83
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I say good on her. She saw a problem in the way she was raising her daughter and made changes for a healthier little girl. Its a big frigging deal when your prepubescent child has high blood pressure; the "diet", which was likely portion control, healthier choices and exercise, probably saved that little girl from a life of heart disease or diabetes. Good mommy. 

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I completely disagree with this. Putting her on a restricted diet (I say restricted because every human that eats food is on a diet) shows her mother cares and loves her enough to help her be healthy. Being overweight can lead to eating disorders.

Quoting Anonymous:

Putting a child that young on a diet can lead to body image problems. It would make the child feel like she wasn't good enough for her mom to love her the way she is. It can lead to eating disorders also.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I wonder what they would say to me  then. My son weighed 62 lbs the day he turned 4. I changed all of our eating habits and in one year my kid has went down to 45-49lbs(he goes between this weight) . :) He was almost obese and I didnt want that for him. I'm the parent and I made a call. Its my choice and responsibility to do so.

Photo: -Randi.Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)