Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can someone explain exactly why the mom who put her kid on a diet is getting all this backlash?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
From what I've heard her 7 year old was obese. She weighed 93lbs. So her mom put her on a diet when everything else failed. The girl is now at a healthy weight.

Am I missing something?

The people on Anderson cooper are ripping this woman apart for it.

I think this story went viral.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

what that is crazy its not good for children to be obese she is a mother and she was protecting her child that's all there is nothing wrong with taking away ice cream and handing her vegetables lol .

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

That's dumb. That's so unhealthy and if it's mainly from poor food choices, the mom really has no one to blame but herself for that happening. I watch what my kids eat from the beginning, especially while they're young enough that I still can.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

There is a big difference between teaching your children portion control and to make healthy food choices, and putting your kid on a diet. Dieting in general is unhealthy, but for a child, you are setting them up for a life time of body image and self esteem issues

I'm gonna disagree with you here. DIETING isn't unhealthy" in itself. Dieting through starvation, gimmicks, depriving yourself of needed foods (like carbs or healthy fats), or by taking supplements that are useless at best, dangerous at worst is dangerous.
But there are healthy diets out there. I've done Weight Watchers, which is, IMHO, the best diet out there, and it's perfectly balanced and healthy. It teaches you how to eat and portion control so you get the nutrients you need without depriving yourself.
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Idk what story your talking about but anytime a parent intervenes when a child is showing the effects of a poor diet, I think it's a good thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
megm11511
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I don't personally see anything wrong with it. At about 10 years old I started becoming pretty large for my age. My mom had struggled with her weight her whole life and didn't want the same for me. She and I did weight watchers together and I got down to a healthy weight. I have maintained it for the most part since. I did gain some when I went to college but was able to recognize what was happening and fix it. I say good for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I think the mom made an amazing point on Anderson Cooper. When she was talking about telling her daughter to not have another cookie at a party, she made the point that many other parents do the same. She felt that, as a mother of an obese child, she was held to a different standard and people viewed her as publicly shaming her daughter. I think that's spot-on accurate and one of the reasons we have such a problem with childhood obesity. The different standards are not beneficial to anyone, especially the child. I limit my children's sweets, and I've never received any backlash for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meka26
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I put dd on a diet. We both went on one b/c we were both very unhealthy. I blame myself b/c it was my fault. I decided to do something about it. We are now eating healthier and exercising. It's nothing extreme, but we have lost weight and we are both proud of our accomplishments. DD was 7 and I was 26. It was 3 yrs ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Honestly, if any of kids are that big I'll be doing whatever it takes to get them to loose weight. Lets face it, health is a priority but also being fat/obese isnt good for your self steem either. In not teaching my kids its ok to be fat. It isnt! Not only isnt healthy and can give you so many issues down the road but its also not "pretty". That doesnt mean you end up with eating disorders but unless there's a medical reason, eating healthy and exercising will keep you from getting fat.
CountryLayne
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I believe if a child is obese, then the parents have a responsibility to get them healthy. If it requires cutting back on the amount of food they are eating and making them do some sort of physical activity, then so be it.

I am so sick of the "it leads to body image and self esteem issues" excuse. Do you honestly think that being obese doesn't already do that?

KKmommy3
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have not seen or read anything about this article so I am not sure about the details...

My DD needs to be on a diet probably, but the doctors keep telling me not to.  I am not sure how to "not" put her on a diet, but still put her on a diet, KWIM?.  they never really tell me what to do, they just say eat healthy foods, which is what she has alwys done anyway.  She is a growing girl, and she is taller and just a bigger body type than most kids her age.  She is in 3rd grade, but looks like a 5th grader..  She eats the same food as my other two who are average size, if not smaller.  I have her in activities and swimming, and even an extra morning gym class that she goes to every day before school.  But unless the doctor tells me what else to do I might have to put her on a diet too, before it becomes a problem that we cannot handle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured