Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your kids are in sports, dance, karate, or whatever

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

Is it something they do just for fun?  Or is it something they take seriously?  Is it something they practice on their own or just at scheduled practices?  

My kid is a dancer.  She takes it very seriously.  She is always practicing and always coming up with new routines.  She stresses over it. It is her life.  Just wondering if this is normal. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kate80
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

sounds like she might be a bit more dedicated than some, but I don't know that is a bad thing. My dd practices her cheerleading a lot. It is something she is really into. DS doesn't practice his that much extra. Mostly because the dog ate all his soccer balls and we don't have a basket ball hoop. He does practice anytime we go to the Y. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My son bowls on a league and he plays baseball. He takes both sports VERY seriously and tends to get stressed out and frustrated. Seems he only enjoys it when he's winning and doing well.

My daughter also bowls on a league but she does it only for fun.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My boys are in Taekwon Do and they all take it quite seriously. It is a fun class, the instructor is awesome and makes learning the art fun, but when it comes right down to it it is a discipline that does take some dedication. My 10 year old will be testing for his black tag in early March.

CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM
My two older boys are in Taekwondo.

For my middle son, it is just something fun to do. He plays around, and it is pretty much just in it to see the friends he has made there.. lol! it is his "gym" time. (Our boys are homeschooled) he is 7. He has been in it for two years.

For my oldest, it is his life. He takes it VERY serious. When he isn't practicing he is going through the forms book HE made. He saves his money earned from chores, birthdays and holidays to buy training equipment for himself. He has his own plans and goals for the future and they all include his training. He is 9 and has been in it for almost 4 years now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My girls were all in dance.  The older and younger ones did/do take it seriously - on the competition team, traveling, all that.  The middle one - not so much, and she stopped at age 15, and joined the high school drill team. Which was pretty much LIKE dance - but less for costumes, but more practice.

Tree-Tree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My boys are in basketball and martial arts. They take both very seriously but martial arts more so becasue at there age it is much more disciplined than basketball is. They have practices and they practice at home

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM
My daughter does gymnastics and dance. She loves it, no pressure. If she wamts to persue it, she can. I was professional ballet dancer, i started very young. Dancing is great but the dance world can be very brutal and you have to have thick skin. Goodlook to her.
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My niece is now 16 and has been in dance since she was 4. She is VERY into it, she is super competitive and pretty much revolves everything around it. Her grades are pretty much perfect because she does dance, school, and church. She has said she doesn't want anything else because nothing could be as good as dance, so....yeah it might be kinda normal. They find a niche or talent and don't want to stop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
My2 yo is in swimming. She loves out and is really good, they just moved her to private classes. I don't think she stresses about it, but she loves it and does well.
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It should be a part of their lives, I'd be worried if she focused so heavily on it that her self worth etc was coming from her success of that activity. It's easy when they are good at something, but terribly sad when they want to be good at it and just can't seem to make it. 

My kids are little, we do floor hockey, swimming, skating and language classes. We practice what they like to each week and go with it that way. It isn't a set thing yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN