Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do YOU have ADD/ADHD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
If so, when were you diagnosed? As a child or as an adult? If as an adult, do you think that an intervention (natural, medical, therapies) would have benefited you as a child? Would it have changed your life at home and at school? If you had you as a child would you do it differently than your parents did?

Just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Bump
bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I don't have either diagnosis and none of my children do either. I don't have experience with it, I'm sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I was diagonsed at the age 15 I was not a problem chile but I did have a hard time staying focused. I was put on adderal xr after my mom did her research first. She didn't want to medicate me yet even when diagnosed. Therapy helped a little not much. My mom did the right thing in my situation. Mainly because my grades went up because I was able to focus more, and it also gave me confidence. Without my meds my thoughts are racing and everywhere. If you had left me alone to complete a task, I would be doing something totally opposite because my mind is always racing or I would get frustrated and fall asleep. But to function as an adult...I have been without meds for a year, mainly because I'm stubborn and feel as if I don't need meds at times, but its possible to live a productive life without meds and be able to work but its very hard to do. I just got to a frustrating part in my life that I don't want to have to depend on meds to complete daily task, trying to(in my own way) reprogram myself to not depend on meds. Its a work in progress but it can be done with dedication. Medication can be used for some people or right for some people but I just don't like the feeling and thought of taking an addictive drug all my life. I have adhd and I'm 24 right now, was diagnosed when I was 15...hope this helps lol
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I was diagnosed ADHD in 1989 when i was 5 years old. I had a few doctors say I was too young to be DX'd. But in the end, my ADHD so bad that I could be the poster child for ADHD. And, while most grow out of it by the end of puberty/young adulthood, I am almost 30 and stil struggle a lot with my symptoms. 

My parents were abusive. And the abuse mixed with the ADHD, mixed with the rape (when i was 11) I ended up with PTSD and RAD as a child, and it made it seem like I had bipolar, and when they medicated me with mood stabilizers, I ended up psychotic, and I wasnt even a teen yet. 

So it was then, at about 11 years old, that my parents started shipping me across the country to Illinois to be with my "REAL" family (grandma and grandpa and  uncles) every summer. 

I had to go back every time summer ended, because other wise my mom would get in trouble for not putting me in school.

(a lot of this is second hand from my grandmother and aunt) 

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I was diagnosed at 8 with ADD. At 12 I got my ADHD. At 17, I had an fMRI as part of a research. I did therapy my entire life growing up and only medicated as an adult. I am a strong believer in therapy. I am currently not medicated!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

everyone has it thats why they smoke pot ;)

momofa24m29
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD in the first grade. I was medicated until I was 17 and it helped me focus. I have been off medication for 9 years and I have trouble focusing somedays but I think its because I have too much going on. I did therapy but not for very long, so I guess it didn't work (therapy was early elementary school and its all a blur, sorry).
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM

yes.  diagnosed at 31.  was medicated (Adderall) for a while but it wasn't working for me.  I just changed my lifestyle to accomodate as best i can.

I think if I'd been diagnosed as a kid and had help in school, I might have actually finished college.  If my kids show signs of it, they will be treated and get services at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
What kind of therapy did you do?

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

I was diagnosed at 8 with ADD. At 12 I got my ADHD. At 17, I had an fMRI as part of a research. I did therapy my entire life growing up and only medicated as an adult. I am a strong believer in therapy. I am currently not medicated!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM
So you feel like as a kid, the medication did help you in school? At least as far as paying attention, being able to focus on assignments, and following directions which improved your grades? I know that a lot of adults are able to function without medication but it seems harder for kids bis it just a maturity thing and being able to realize the behaviors when they're happening?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was diagonsed at the age 15 I was not a problem chile but I did have a hard time staying focused. I was put on adderal xr after my mom did her research first. She didn't want to medicate me yet even when diagnosed. Therapy helped a little not much. My mom did the right thing in my situation. Mainly because my grades went up because I was able to focus more, and it also gave me confidence. Without my meds my thoughts are racing and everywhere. If you had left me alone to complete a task, I would be doing something totally opposite because my mind is always racing or I would get frustrated and fall asleep. But to function as an adult...I have been without meds for a year, mainly because I'm stubborn and feel as if I don't need meds at times, but its possible to live a productive life without meds and be able to work but its very hard to do. I just got to a frustrating part in my life that I don't want to have to depend on meds to complete daily task, trying to(in my own way) reprogram myself to not depend on meds. Its a work in progress but it can be done with dedication. Medication can be used for some people or right for some people but I just don't like the feeling and thought of taking an addictive drug all my life. I have adhd and I'm 24 right now, was diagnosed when I was 15...hope this helps lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN