Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do YOU have ADD/ADHD?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If so, when were you diagnosed? As a child or as an adult? If as an adult, do you think that an intervention (natural, medical, therapies) would have benefited you as a child? Would it have changed your life at home and at school? If you had you as a child would you do it differently than your parents did?

Just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Yes as a kid, it helped me a lot as far as school and confidence. I would always feel like I was stupid just because I can't consentrate or focus like my friends, or will have bad grades on my paper so I would hide mine so my friends didn't see it. I think its a maturity thing. But there are others who have a severe case than my own. But with mild adhd its a maturity thing, because I am trying to overcome mine with no medication and I'm doing well...I do have slip ups and when I visit my mother she tells me and says "you need to take your medicine" I tell her no I don't need it. I try harder to stay focused.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you feel like as a kid, the medication did help you in school? At least as far as paying attention, being able to focus on assignments, and following directions which improved your grades? I know that a lot of adults are able to function without medication but it seems harder for kids bis it just a maturity thing and being able to realize the behaviors when they're happening?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was diagonsed at the age 15 I was not a problem chile but I did have a hard time staying focused. I was put on adderal xr after my mom did her research first. She didn't want to medicate me yet even when diagnosed. Therapy helped a little not much. My mom did the right thing in my situation. Mainly because my grades went up because I was able to focus more, and it also gave me confidence. Without my meds my thoughts are racing and everywhere. If you had left me alone to complete a task, I would be doing something totally opposite because my mind is always racing or I would get frustrated and fall asleep. But to function as an adult...I have been without meds for a year, mainly because I'm stubborn and feel as if I don't need meds at times, but its possible to live a productive life without meds and be able to work but its very hard to do. I just got to a frustrating part in my life that I don't want to have to depend on meds to complete daily task, trying to(in my own way) reprogram myself to not depend on meds. Its a work in progress but it can be done with dedication. Medication can be used for some people or right for some people but I just don't like the feeling and thought of taking an addictive drug all my life. I have adhd and I'm 24 right now, was diagnosed when I was 15...hope this helps lol

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

ADD without hyperactivity. I was 15 and he put in the eval that I was "so smart it would not affect me and did not need treatment". This, of course, was complete BS. An example of why: I have great reading comprehension, vocabulary, etc but that doesn't stop me from re-reading the same sentence over and over without taking it in when I'm distracted - and I'm easily distracted, so that turns into a lot of time spent reading the same damned sentence and getting nowhere.

I've never liked medications, but it would have helped when I was in school if I'd been given some means of blocking out the distractions. In the long term, I really wish I had been taught coping skills.

supermom985
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I have ADD and was diagnosed in high school , I would have done better in school if they would have caught it before my junior year of high school. I don't think it was my parents fault because they didn't know much about it then like they do now . My son is ADHD and I knew the signs to look for and we caught it in kindergarten :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Thanks for sharing! We take DD to get evaluated next week. Her dad has ADD and only got medicated at 27. He talks about how it would have changed his school experience because he is very smart but just never did the work. He was very against medicating our daughter about two years ago but she has just got worse and worse at school. After emailing back and forth with her teacher we decided to go get her evaluated. I just don't know about the medication. I see ladies on here bashing it hardcore so it give me pause. But I know how smart my daughter is and how everything else up to this point has failed. I want to give her the best opportunity possible. Do you notice any side effects with your son? Have you noticed an improvement with him?

Quoting supermom985:

I have ADD and was diagnosed in high school , I would have done better in school if they would have caught it before my junior year of high school. I don't think it was my parents fault because they didn't know much about it then like they do now . My son is ADHD and I knew the signs to look for and we caught it in kindergarten :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM
DH learned coping skills throughout his life and became a successful adult with a good education and job. What we struggle with is that DD seems to have it worse than he did. But I'm pretty certain she has ADHD and DH has ADD. I can work with her at home, even when it is hard. I just worry about her in school because that is the biggest issue right now.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

ADD without hyperactivity. I was 15 and he put in the eval that I was "so smart it would not affect me and did not need treatment". This, of course, was complete BS. An example of why: I have great reading comprehension, vocabulary, etc but that doesn't stop me from re-reading the same sentence over and over without taking it in when I'm distracted - and I'm easily distracted, so that turns into a lot of time spent reading the same damned sentence and getting nowhere.

I've never liked medications, but it would have helped when I was in school if I'd been given some means of blocking out the distractions. In the long term, I really wish I had been taught coping skills.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I was just diagnosed in the last 10 years. i'm not sure I believe it but the meds help me to concentrate better

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Diagnosed with ADHD at 23. I think certain things would have helped. I struggled in school. I always felt different and foggy. I don't think medication is the answer, but I've found a few things now that have helped me improve focus a bit, knowing those in school would have been nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom985
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I am very against stimulants for my son because they are addictive and they make him violent . He is now on a non stimulant and can sit still to do his class work but isn't zombie like. Before the meds he couldn't even sit in a chair to eat dinner no matter how many times he was punished for it , now he can sit and do homework and eat dinner . I was against meds until my son came to me crying and said " my brain won't let me sit still mommy, I wish I could just turn my brain off for a little while " that's when I knew I had to try the meds . I would try a non stimulant first and the lowest dose possible . 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks for sharing! We take DD to get evaluated next week. Her dad has ADD and only got medicated at 27. He talks about how it would have changed his school experience because he is very smart but just never did the work. He was very against medicating our daughter about two years ago but she has just got worse and worse at school. After emailing back and forth with her teacher we decided to go get her evaluated. I just don't know about the medication. I see ladies on here bashing it hardcore so it give me pause. But I know how smart my daughter is and how everything else up to this point has failed. I want to give her the best opportunity possible. Do you notice any side effects with your son? Have you noticed an improvement with him?

Quoting supermom985:

beerabitch69
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I do.

Diagnosed when I was 16.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
skittlefart
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Not sure, but I definitely have a problem with staying focused. my mother believes it's a case of ADD but I donno. All I know is it's not something I can help.

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN