Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do YOU have ADD/ADHD?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If so, when were you diagnosed? As a child or as an adult? If as an adult, do you think that an intervention (natural, medical, therapies) would have benefited you as a child? Would it have changed your life at home and at school? If you had you as a child would you do it differently than your parents did?

Just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I don't but my ex has it bad and so does my bil. My bil is 34ish and was dx as and adult I believe. He still takes adderall. My ex was dx as a child. Third grade or so. He was on meds but they made his stomach hurt so his mom quit giving them to him. Although he won't admit it, he still struggles very much with his adhd now. Our son also has it. He was dx in October with severe combined type adhd and with sensory disorder when he was 2. He takes Ritalin and is doing so much better. The raging fits hve almost stopped, he dowsnt fight with his brother constantly, he's actually learning things at school now. Its been amazing. I get flack from people who don't know him well because he behaves pretty well, because its expected of him, but I don't care what anyone else's opinion is because I know my little man.
Behindthelense
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, I was around 10 and my mother chose to not get me help. School was really hard for me, I really wished she had gotten her head out of her ass and got me the help I needed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I have never been diagnosed. but I strongly suspect I had ADD. I had the hardest time in school as a kid growing up. I had the hardest time focusing and getting my work done. even now as an adult I have a hard time getting the simplest tasks done. such as housework. its so easy. yet I struggle with it daily. I have to take lots of breaks and I totally procrastinate getting it done. I eventually do get it done, but it takes me all day. I just can't stay focused on it very long.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I did not receive my official diagnosis until I was I was in my 30's. I made ok grades through high school, I could have made straight A's had I been diagnosed earlier. I made it without medication as an adult but I was disorganized and easily distracted. I have to keep a calendar to remember everything, and I have so many list of things I need to do or remember. I attempted college straight out of high school but had a hard time with the freedom and less structure in the college setting. I would get frustrated and drop classes all the time. I had an IQ test done on me and I scored in the gifted/borderline genius range. The only reason I finally got an official diagnosis was because my teenage son who also had ADHD, begged me to go and get on medication. He got frustrated with me being distracted, losing things, and forgetting to do things. I take Adderall now. I go off and on it all the time. I do not see the addictive side of the medication. I can take it everyday, 3 times a day for months, and then just stop taking it, I have no withdrawals or cravings for it at all when I don't take it. I know that not everyone has an addictive personality and the people who think it is so addictive and dangerous will say that maybe I just don't have the addiction trait, but I do. I am addicted to smoking, and cannot quit. After starting medication, I decided to go back to college. I have one semester left until I get my bachelors and I have made straight A's the whole time, and I have not really had to work as hard for these A's in school as I did to get ok grades in school before medication.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind at her appointment. 

Quoting supermom985:

I am very against stimulants for my son because they are addictive and they make him violent . He is now on a non stimulant and can sit still to do his class work but isn't zombie like. Before the meds he couldn't even sit in a chair to eat dinner no matter how many times he was punished for it , now he can sit and do homework and eat dinner . I was against meds until my son came to me crying and said " my brain won't let me sit still mommy, I wish I could just turn my brain off for a little while " that's when I knew I had to try the meds . I would try a non stimulant first and the lowest dose possible . 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks for sharing! We take DD to get evaluated next week. Her dad has ADD and only got medicated at 27. He talks about how it would have changed his school experience because he is very smart but just never did the work. He was very against medicating our daughter about two years ago but she has just got worse and worse at school. After emailing back and forth with her teacher we decided to go get her evaluated. I just don't know about the medication. I see ladies on here bashing it hardcore so it give me pause. But I know how smart my daughter is and how everything else up to this point has failed. I want to give her the best opportunity possible. Do you notice any side effects with your son? Have you noticed an improvement with him?

Quoting supermom985:

I have ADD and was diagnosed in high school , I would have done better in school if they would have caught it before my junior year of high school. I don't think it was my parents fault because they didn't know much about it then like they do now . My son is ADHD and I knew the signs to look for and we caught it in kindergarten :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I don't, but my husband does. As a child, he teacher suggested it as a possibility to his parents, but they insisted it wasn't possible. He ended up getting diagnosed at 20.
I often wonder if early intervention would have helped as a child. Or at least made it more manageable for him.
rory10
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

SO has ADD and his mom never medacated him. She's also convinced DD has it. Must have forgotten 2 year olds have random bursts of energy. If she does end up with ADD/ ADHD I will try doing it the way a friend of mine did, and he's a teacher, so it's still working for him. Only give it when it's needed and try working something that's not taking it on weekends and durring school breaks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
If we do medicate that would be how we did it. Only for school. Like I said, I can handle her at home, it is tough don't get me wrong, but it would help at school.

Quoting rory10:

SO has ADD and his mom never medacated him. She's also convinced DD has it. Must have forgotten 2 year olds have random bursts of energy. If she does end up with ADD/ ADHD I will try doing it the way a friend of mine did, and he's a teacher, so it's still working for him. Only give it when it's needed and try working something that's not taking it on weekends and durring school breaks.

sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I think I would have gotten a lot further in life than I have so far.  It was missed because I was smart and was able to compensate to an extent.  Symptoms would "flare" mostly when my coping and compensating mechanisms did not work for a situation.  Leading me to flunking out of college, losing or nearly losing jobs (taking demotions, lateral moves, or quitting before I was fired), etc.  However, the doctors whom I would beg for help would just say it was "situational depression."  When I was finally diagnosed, it was as if I had had bad vision and put glasses on for the first time...for the first time I could hold a train of thought, plan stuff out and do it.  For the first time, I wasn't "getting everything put in writing" after only working someplace for 3-4 months and am now up for promotion.  I've been able to return to school and am getting As and Bs in a masters program.

My parents didn't believe in ADHD or medicating.  I was mostly the inattentive type.  I think it is abuse to not medicate kids if they need it.  My daughter is the hyperactive type.  She is medicated.  I'm trying to get my son diagnosed and medicated.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

yes when i was 6. no meds then...all they had was ritalin. now i use caffeine and coping skills...still hard. might look and see whats new when im done breastfeeding. im tired of being an unorganized mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)