Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do YOU have ADD/ADHD?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If so, when were you diagnosed? As a child or as an adult? If as an adult, do you think that an intervention (natural, medical, therapies) would have benefited you as a child? Would it have changed your life at home and at school? If you had you as a child would you do it differently than your parents did?

Just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Replies (31-31):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

u r me lol i have my masters now too and just started my phd. i think those with adhd have very keen minds. maybe a little too fast lol

Quoting sweetfox3:

I think I would have gotten a lot further in life than I have so far.  It was missed because I was smart and was able to compensate to an extent.  Symptoms would "flare" mostly when my coping and compensating mechanisms did not work for a situation.  Leading me to flunking out of college, losing or nearly losing jobs (taking demotions, lateral moves, or quitting before I was fired), etc.  However, the doctors whom I would beg for help would just say it was "situational depression."  When I was finally diagnosed, it was as if I had had bad vision and put glasses on for the first time...for the first time I could hold a train of thought, plan stuff out and do it.  For the first time, I wasn't "getting everything put in writing" after only working someplace for 3-4 months and am now up for promotion.  I've been able to return to school and am getting As and Bs in a masters program.

My parents didn't believe in ADHD or medicating.  I was mostly the inattentive type.  I think it is abuse to not medicate kids if they need it.  My daughter is the hyperactive type.  She is medicated.  I'm trying to get my son diagnosed and medicated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)