Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoking around baby

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved if a parent is smoking around their baby?

Options:

Yes, its neglectful and dangerous for their health.

No, its no one's business if people smoke in their own home.

Other, because there's always an "other".

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 152

View Results

Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved when a parent smokes around their baby indoors?

I know a woman who is generally a great mom; she feeds her baby on a schedule, takes good care of him, bathes him every day, cuddles him and plays with him, keeps up with his physical therapy and sings to him all the time. But, shes failing him in a big way; she sits at her computer for an hour at a time, a couple of times a day while hes napping and she smokes while shes online... he naps in his bouncer not even a foot away from her chair! She says its okay because smoke travels up, but shes sitting under an AC vent, so its actually blowing on him, and even if she weren't, its still in the air all around the room, travels through the AC return and is expelled from every vent in the house... I wish CPS could get involved and make her smoke outside, like just start showing up randomly to enforce it because if it smells like smoke in the house her baby is being poisoned. I smoke too, but I smoke outside in a hoodie that stays out there and I tie my hair back and put the hood on because I want to protect my baby.

I know CPS can't do anything, but I think they should be able to at least make parents take a class on second hand smoke in children and how dangerous it is. :( Poor baby.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya I do, however I also think that women who smoke during pregnancy should get their kids taken away just like they would if they were smoking pot *even though pot is less harmful*

BrittSam2011
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think calling CPS is a bit much. There are other kinds of help she can get. Or have someone close to her talk about it. Maybe give her info on what can happen to the baby if she keeps doing it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Most comical reply EVER... You must be a perfect mommy

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya I do, however I also think that women who smoke during pregnancy should get their kids taken away just like they would if they were smoking pot *even though pot is less harmful*

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I've heard that pot is less harmful, too. I think its probably because of all the added toxins in cigarettes - tar, arsenic ect.

Quoting Anonymous:

jbirdsladie27
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I don't, it's their house & not my kid so......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Dh's ex smoked like a chimney when she was pregnant, and I wanted to slap her silly for being a dumb ass, but CPS, thats a little much.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Yes I wish CPS or some sort of law enforcement agency could get involved.  I do NOT think it's worthy of removing the child if they are otherwise well cared for, but in my personal opinion, it's abusive to their health.   To me, it's no different from CPS getting involved when a person's home is extremely filthy.  They do that because it is harmful to the kids' health, so I don't see why cigarette smoking should be any different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this
No I don't think cps should get involved. There are children chained in their basement as we speak and this is what we (general) get all up in arms about. I know it's bad but I am just saying. Tons of calls are made daily with False or stupid claims, and the children who are truly abused fall through the cracks.

And I doubt the a/c is on. It's February
marihla
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here.

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

No, I don't, it's their house & not my kid so......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)