Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoking around baby

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved if a parent is smoking around their baby?

Options:

Yes, its neglectful and dangerous for their health.

No, its no one's business if people smoke in their own home.

Other, because there's always an "other".

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 152

View Results

Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved when a parent smokes around their baby indoors?

I know a woman who is generally a great mom; she feeds her baby on a schedule, takes good care of him, bathes him every day, cuddles him and plays with him, keeps up with his physical therapy and sings to him all the time. But, shes failing him in a big way; she sits at her computer for an hour at a time, a couple of times a day while hes napping and she smokes while shes online... he naps in his bouncer not even a foot away from her chair! She says its okay because smoke travels up, but shes sitting under an AC vent, so its actually blowing on him, and even if she weren't, its still in the air all around the room, travels through the AC return and is expelled from every vent in the house... I wish CPS could get involved and make her smoke outside, like just start showing up randomly to enforce it because if it smells like smoke in the house her baby is being poisoned. I smoke too, but I smoke outside in a hoodie that stays out there and I tie my hair back and put the hood on because I want to protect my baby.

I know CPS can't do anything, but I think they should be able to at least make parents take a class on second hand smoke in children and how dangerous it is. :( Poor baby.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Come to Jesus? What the hell does that have to do with the price of beans?

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

Well, that's just a mess.

That honestly can kill a newborn.  I think you should have a Come to Jesus with her about the SIDS risk, at least.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I live in Texas also. It's like 60 degrees. She should open some windows lol

Quoting Anonymous:

We're in Texas, the AC is on lol

Quoting Anonymous:

No I don't think cps should get involved. There are children chained in their basement as we speak and this is what we (general) get all up in arms about. I know it's bad but I am just saying. Tons of calls are made daily with False or stupid claims, and the children who are truly abused fall through the cracks.

And I doubt the a/c is on. It's February

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it should be illegal to smoke in a car when there are children in as well....
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yes but I'm also VERY anti-smoking. My husband was hospitalized as a baby over smoking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I've been trying to talk to her about it, but she keeps making excuses. I'm thinking about getting her other friends together and do kind of an intervention type of thing... I have even gone to the health dept to get information on the dangers of second hand smoke for an infant's developing lungs. I may confront her with them myself rather than bring others along because I don't want her to feel attacked... but I'm not sure yet.

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

That honestly can kill a newborn.  I think you should have a Come to Jesus with her about the SIDS risk, at least.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No. I don't think CPS should get involved over this. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, but CPS is already over ran as it is. They have to deal with the false complaints, not to mention a lot of CPS is crooked. I think they should definitely educate parents about smoking. How can she think it's not coming near the baby? Duh, it is.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya I do, however I also think that women who smoke during pregnancy should get their kids taken away just like they would if they were smoking pot *even though pot is less harmful*

What about if the dye their hair while pregnant? Paint a room? Eat lunchmeat?  Drink caffeine?

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Unofrtunately, they can't do anything, it's not illegal to smoke around your kids, though I think it should be. I would just personally talk to her and try to reason with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Thank you, that's a reasonable and well thought out response.

Quoting kmugs:

I voted other.

If a child has a diagnosis of something such as asthma that makes smoking near them dangerous, then i would report them to CPS.

If the child is is good health - then it is a crappy, selfish, ill-health promoting things to do...but not imminently dangerous, so I would not report someone to CPS.  I might try and get the mom to change her behaviour - such as any time I was visiting and she lit up, I might suggest we go outside so she can smoke and not bother the baby.  I might try and bring her to playgroup, and quietly talk to a leader there to see if they can devote a session to smoking around kids or something like that.  So...I think it is a bad enough behaviour that I might try and get her to change the behaviour (I know this might fail and might drive a wedge in the friendship - but I am okay with that, smoking 1 foot from a baby is pretty bad and I do not care if she feel "judged").  It is not CPS worthy, however. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

It's called a figure of speech.

Quoting Anonymous:

Come to Jesus? What the hell does that have to do with the price of beans?

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)