Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smoking around baby

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved if a parent is smoking around their baby?

Options:

Yes, its neglectful and dangerous for their health.

No, its no one's business if people smoke in their own home.

Other, because there's always an "other".

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 152

View Results

Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved when a parent smokes around their baby indoors?

I know a woman who is generally a great mom; she feeds her baby on a schedule, takes good care of him, bathes him every day, cuddles him and plays with him, keeps up with his physical therapy and sings to him all the time. But, shes failing him in a big way; she sits at her computer for an hour at a time, a couple of times a day while hes napping and she smokes while shes online... he naps in his bouncer not even a foot away from her chair! She says its okay because smoke travels up, but shes sitting under an AC vent, so its actually blowing on him, and even if she weren't, its still in the air all around the room, travels through the AC return and is expelled from every vent in the house... I wish CPS could get involved and make her smoke outside, like just start showing up randomly to enforce it because if it smells like smoke in the house her baby is being poisoned. I smoke too, but I smoke outside in a hoodie that stays out there and I tie my hair back and put the hood on because I want to protect my baby.

I know CPS can't do anything, but I think they should be able to at least make parents take a class on second hand smoke in children and how dangerous it is. :( Poor baby.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I'm sorry :( Its never easy to lose a loved one, especially over something that could have been prevented. I suppose as sad as it is, it can also be a learning experience for the children. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

No I do not. MIL smoked like a chimney indoors when the kids were over there. It was just who she was, She loved those kids to pieces. (She died if lung cancer 2 years ago)

JLS2388
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Crazy as it is, they don't usually take the babies away for pot, even if mom was smoking it while pregnant

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya I do, however I also think that women who smoke during pregnancy should get their kids taken away just like they would if they were smoking pot *even though pot is less harmful*

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Thanks. We all loved her but it was no suprise when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She lasted 6 months.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry :( Its never easy to lose a loved one, especially over something that could have been prevented. I suppose as sad as it is, it can also be a learning experience for the children. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

No I do not. MIL smoked like a chimney indoors when the kids were over there. It was just who she was, She loved those kids to pieces. (She died if lung cancer 2 years ago)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Seriously?!  You need your head examined.

ninjakids
by Christina on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I dont know what cps is like where you are but i have never once heard of anyone losig their child over pot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya I do, however I also think that women who smoke during pregnancy should get their kids taken away just like they would if they were smoking pot *even though pot is less harmful*

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

No I would not call CPS. Yes it's dumb to smoke and even dumber to smoke around your child, but it is not CPS worthy. If they investgated every case of a parent smoking near his/her kid there would be no time for the kids who are truly in danger. You know the ones who are being hit for breathing in the wrong direction or because mom/dad were abused as kids and no one did anything, etc…

And BTW, I am someone whose lungs were damaged because both of my parents smoked like chimneys around me. Get some literature about the dangers of smoking/second hand smoke and leave them in her mailbox if you need to do somthing.

mom2hadley
by Heather on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this.

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

No, I don't, it's their house & not my kid so......

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I'm not sure about other places, but I know here in Texas if you go to the ER they do a drug screen, on everyone. If you're pregnant and show a positive for anything that you don't have a Rx for they are required to contact CPS.

Quoting ninjakids:

I dont know what cps is like where you are but i have never once heard of anyone losig their child over pot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I did get some literature from the Health Dept, I'm debating on how to present it to her but I think its important she know the risks to her child. Shes a loving mother, I think shes just uneducated on the subject.

Quoting balagan_imma:

No I would not call CPS. Yes it's dumb to smoke and even dumber to smoke around your child, but it is not CPS worthy. If they investgated every case of a parent smoking near his/her kid there would be no time for the kids who are truly in danger. You know the ones who are being hit for breathing in the wrong direction or because mom/dad were abused as kids and no one did anything, etc…

And BTW, I am someone whose lungs were damaged because both of my parents smoked like chimneys around me. Get some literature about the dangers of smoking/second hand smoke and leave them in her mailbox if you need to do somthing.

Mystres
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I do not think you can tell her or any one if they can or can not smoke in their own home.

BUT

I do think that she should invest in a baby monitor, and have the baby in its room/playpen ect..... while she smokes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured