Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoking around baby

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved if a parent is smoking around their baby?

Options:

Yes, its neglectful and dangerous for their health.

No, its no one's business if people smoke in their own home.

Other, because there's always an "other".

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 152

View Results

Do you think CPS should be allowed to get involved when a parent smokes around their baby indoors?

I know a woman who is generally a great mom; she feeds her baby on a schedule, takes good care of him, bathes him every day, cuddles him and plays with him, keeps up with his physical therapy and sings to him all the time. But, shes failing him in a big way; she sits at her computer for an hour at a time, a couple of times a day while hes napping and she smokes while shes online... he naps in his bouncer not even a foot away from her chair! She says its okay because smoke travels up, but shes sitting under an AC vent, so its actually blowing on him, and even if she weren't, its still in the air all around the room, travels through the AC return and is expelled from every vent in the house... I wish CPS could get involved and make her smoke outside, like just start showing up randomly to enforce it because if it smells like smoke in the house her baby is being poisoned. I smoke too, but I smoke outside in a hoodie that stays out there and I tie my hair back and put the hood on because I want to protect my baby.

I know CPS can't do anything, but I think they should be able to at least make parents take a class on second hand smoke in children and how dangerous it is. :( Poor baby.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (91-99):
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I hear reports of children dying all the time due to co-sleeping...parents roll over on the baby...now do you think cps should be involved in that. Parents endanger their children everyday by doing it. Now, what are your thoughts on that? My POINT is no one is perfect. There are dangers everywhere that parents "know" about but still do it.....

Quoting Anonymous:

I think a lot of people don't know the dangers. They make stupid excuses like "the smoke goes up so the baby doesn't breathe it because hes in the floor", or they make excuses to smoke while pregnant saying that all it can do is cause a baby to be a little small. Just because you have a few brain cells in your head doesn't mean everyone does lol. If people are endangering their children they need to be made to understand what it is they're doing. When you see a 1 year old have an asthma attack because his mother was stupid enough to think that having the window down in the car would keep the smoke away from him, you realize just how stupid some people really are.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Ive seen it all on here....not just in regards to your post. You actually think that parents dont know what the effects of second hand smoke are? People will take that class and then do the same thing they always do, more than likely. Its just another govt ran program that this nation cannot afford and is not needed. All of the information can be pulled up on the internet or at a doctor....people just choose to ignore it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Not overwieght, but obese yes. Not underweight, but starving yes. Beaten yes. Locked up in basement/closet yes. And I didn't say once that a kid should be taken for parents smoking in the house with them as infants, I said the parents should be made to take a class on the effects of second hand smoke... you know, educating them to the dangers? Why is that a problem?

Quoting Lyssa0587:

LMFAO at this post!!! Yall are too much. sidesplittinglaughter

If a child is overweight- call cps, if a child is underweight- call cps, If a child is being yelled at- call cps, if a woman smokes- call cps...and then there is.....a child being beaten to death, starved, locked in the basement-  and its MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS....that is what I see on here. 

jeda1429
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I just don't understand parents who do this. I was seventeen when I got pregnant, and was a smoker at the time. I stopped smoking through the entire length of my pregnancy and even at that age I had enough sense to smoke my cigarettes oustside. It obviously would have been better if I had stopped smoking all together( which eventually I did), but to this day he has no idea that I was ever a smoker. And I would like to keep it that way in hopes that he never takes up this nasty habit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Geez ladies come on.....I smoked while pregnant with ALL 4 of my kids AND smoked in the house and in the CAR! Granted this was many years ago and we were a bit stupid and didn't really think it was that harmful. BUT all 4 of my kids are perfectly healthy adults. 

While I do agree,now, that we should only smoke outside away from the kids....I DO NOT THINK this is cps worthy, lol. They are over worked as it is and so many kids fall through the cracks. 

annasew
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I think you should mind your own business. 

conejoazul
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I´d like to see some sort of rule against it, too. I really don´t care what agency enforces it, though. Forcing contaminated smoke upon others is criminal.  My mom smoked while I was growing up and it always disgusted me and disturbed my breathing - I´d have to ask for the windows to be rolled down while riding in the car in the winter; I´d go away from the table before finishing my meal. Children shouldn´t have to absorb the bad air that parents choose for themselves. I really don´t care if an adult chooses to contaminate their own lungs, but in the same way we´d punish a parent if they put Ajax down their kid´s throat, I think there should be a punishment for putting carcinogens down their kid´s breathing passages.

conejoazul
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Really?  I´ve never once heard of a case of that and I live in a country where it is the norm.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

I hear reports of children dying all the time due to co-sleeping...parents roll over on the baby...now do you think cps should be involved in that. Parents endanger their children everyday by doing it. Now, what are your thoughts on that? My POINT is no one is perfect. There are dangers everywhere that parents "know" about but still do it.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM

here's one for you http://badbreeders.net/2012/04/16/co-sleeping-leads-to-death-of-second-child/

and another one  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165754/Newborn-baby-boy-suffocates-death-mother-ROLLS-OVER-sleep.html

and another one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246554/Baby-died-sleeping-parents-drank-taking-month-old-bed-them.html

must I go on?  All 3 of these happened last year....

Quoting conejoazul:

Really?  I´ve never once heard of a case of that and I live in a country where it is the norm.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM

it is child abuse to smoke when pregnant or around baby.  It is also child abuse to do any drugs or alcohol while pregnant.  Some will get on here and say no, but you are an unfit parent if you do that.  I smoked for many years and gave it up for my child.

conejoazul
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lyssa0587:

here's one for you http://badbreeders.net/2012/04/16/co-sleeping-leads-to-death-of-second-child/

co-sleeping while impaired

and another one  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165754/Newborn-baby-boy-suffocates-death-mother-ROLLS-OVER-sleep.html

and another one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246554/Baby-died-sleeping-parents-drank-taking-month-old-bed-them.html   co-sleeping while impaired

must I go on?  All 3 of these happened last year.... Yeah, bad stuff happens when people are impaired while caring for babies; I wouldn´t agree you can blame all three of these events on co-sleeping without first mentioning that the parents were impaired before they went to bed.  

Quoting conejoazul:

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)