Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Look what my 5 y/o nephew brought home from school yesterday

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else think this is beyond inappropriate!?! I can't believe his teacher didn't know better from the start. They were rinsed but idk if that changes my opinion on this situation at all. My brother will be up there speaking with administration as soon as he leaves work today.. But I'm just baffled. WHO could possibly think that was a good idea!?

Smh.

ETA: it's just a little art project. But the class was using an assortment of alcohol bottles. Obviously nothing to SPAZ about. But I DO think it should be addressed. To me it's just not appropriate in a kindergarten classroom.

ETA2: I just thought the labels should have been removed as well. I have no other issues with them using the bottles. They were rinsed but a lot of kids know what the label is and a lot of kids don't because they have alcohol free homes. I think it's up to the parents judgment to decide when they want alcohol bottles around their children.

ETA3: the project had something to do with the book "whistling Dixie". I've never read it so I don't really know what the plot entails. I didn't really get an answer as to what the project is either since essentially they just put paper around bottles and colored them a little..

Also, the bottles were plastic. I didn't even think to ask him until someone else noticed it in the picture. Again, let me reiterate my stance on this.. I do not agree with the alcohol bottles being used WITH the labels still on them. I'm all for cheap art supplies for teachers and using recycleables, I just feel a little more preparation could have been done before they did the project. To each their own though and thankfully this one wasn't mine to handle. :) thanks for all the opinions ladies. Even those of you who contributed nothing but snarky comments, really thanks for the entertainment. Lmfao.

Oh & I am deffff not a crunchy mom but it's crazy how quickly some of you would assume that from one post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
supercarp
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Who cares, if there wasn't any alcohol in the bottles?

Readyforbaby2
2 moms liked this

Clearly. This is ridiculous! It's just a damn bottle.

People these days drive me crazy! Instead of saying obviously this teacher needs help buying supplies to teach these kids, so let me help, they want to bash and make a huge deal about something so miniscule and probably cost this teacher their job.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

clearly she's freaking about it. lol

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

This!

Teachers can't get the money they need to teach kids nowadays anyways with all the budget cuts and other bullshit, and you are going to make a stink about a bottle?? It's a bit petty in my honest opinion. Get over it.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

god, id hate to be your kids teacher.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The problem is he's 5 and shouldn't be subjected to alcohol bottles in a school. A little hypocritical with all their "just say no" and DARE concepts.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

ok... did he drink it? no? than whats whats the problem?

LectioDivina

lol what a drunk...That's a lot of mini bottles....

GibsonSD92
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Did I actually do or say something to offend you? You're clearly upset about something... Wake up on the wrong side of the bed maybe??

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

so its fucking covered. jesus, it was that hard for you to grasp?

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The white piece of paper was wrapped around and taped by the kids.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

then who put the sticker on the bottle?

Quoting GibsonSD92:

No it wasn't covered at all but to each their own opinion. :)

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

its not a big deal. it wasnt full for him to drink. the label was mostly covered and he most likely has no idea what it is.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Lmao. I'm not that unreasonable.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The problem is he's 5 and shouldn't be subjected to alcohol bottles in a school. A little hypocritical with all their "just say no" and DARE concepts.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the4mutts
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Smirnoff is the only alcohol i drink, so thats why all mine know the brand haha. I'll buy a party pack, and it'll last me like 2 months, but in the meantime, its sitting in the fridge, so they see it every day. Poor babies, I should feel bad that they know the difference between mommys "beer" and grandpas beer, but I dont.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol!!! I mean my kids know what alcohol is but I don't think they would specifically know Smirnoff. Lol.

OP. maybe he needed bottles and this is what parents brought in??? I don't know but it's not that big of a deal.

Quoting the4mutts:

my 4 kids ages 3, 5, 6, &9 all know what smirnoff is.

I still find it funny. I would lmao if my kid brought that home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol!!!! Lmao!!!!! Big deal. It's not like the 5 year old knows what Smirnoff is.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol okay. She could afford all the alcohol but no art supplies.. If you insist.. No one wants this lady fired.. Just a simple meeting to express his concerns.

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

Clearly. This is ridiculous! It's just a damn bottle.

People these days drive me crazy! Instead of saying obviously this teacher needs help buying supplies to teach these kids, so let me help, they want to bash and make a huge deal about something so miniscule and probably cost this teacher their job.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

clearly she's freaking about it. lol

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

This!

Teachers can't get the money they need to teach kids nowadays anyways with all the budget cuts and other bullshit, and you are going to make a stink about a bottle?? It's a bit petty in my honest opinion. Get over it.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaLa_Ivory
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
hahahahah. you are dense lady.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Did I actually do or say something to offend you? You're clearly upset about something... Wake up on the wrong side of the bed maybe??

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

so its fucking covered. jesus, it was that hard for you to grasp?

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The white piece of paper was wrapped around and taped by the kids.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

then who put the sticker on the bottle?

Quoting GibsonSD92:

No it wasn't covered at all but to each their own opinion. :)

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

its not a big deal. it wasnt full for him to drink. the label was mostly covered and he most likely has no idea what it is.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Lmao. I'm not that unreasonable.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karenjm
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

What do you think is going to happen to the kids?  Just curious?

GibsonSD92
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I don't think you should feel bad. You're the parent and YOU decide what they can/can't be subjected to. :)

Quoting the4mutts:

Smirnoff is the only alcohol i drink, so thats why all mine know the brand haha. I'll buy a party pack, and it'll last me like 2 months, but in the meantime, its sitting in the fridge, so they see it every day. Poor babies, I should feel bad that they know the difference between mommys "beer" and grandpas beer, but I dont.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol!!! I mean my kids know what alcohol is but I don't think they would specifically know Smirnoff. Lol.

OP. maybe he needed bottles and this is what parents brought in??? I don't know but it's not that big of a deal.

Quoting the4mutts:

my 4 kids ages 3, 5, 6, &9 all know what smirnoff is.

I still find it funny. I would lmao if my kid brought that home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol!!!! Lmao!!!!! Big deal. It's not like the 5 year old knows what Smirnoff is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Readyforbaby2
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Since this isn't your kid that just further proves that you are in fact overreacting and being unreasonable.

Was it the best judgement call on the teacher's part, probably not. But where else are you going to find bottles that small? She should have peeled the labels off, but even still it would be a big deal because "adults" know what they are, because that's all this is about, these kids don't know what that label is for.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Wow. I am not an unreasonable parent. And I don't think I'm overreacting since its not my child. I just don't think that was good judgment on the teachers part.

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

This!

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN