Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Look what my 5 y/o nephew brought home from school yesterday

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else think this is beyond inappropriate!?! I can't believe his teacher didn't know better from the start. They were rinsed but idk if that changes my opinion on this situation at all. My brother will be up there speaking with administration as soon as he leaves work today.. But I'm just baffled. WHO could possibly think that was a good idea!?

Smh.

ETA: it's just a little art project. But the class was using an assortment of alcohol bottles. Obviously nothing to SPAZ about. But I DO think it should be addressed. To me it's just not appropriate in a kindergarten classroom.

ETA2: I just thought the labels should have been removed as well. I have no other issues with them using the bottles. They were rinsed but a lot of kids know what the label is and a lot of kids don't because they have alcohol free homes. I think it's up to the parents judgment to decide when they want alcohol bottles around their children.

ETA3: the project had something to do with the book "whistling Dixie". I've never read it so I don't really know what the plot entails. I didn't really get an answer as to what the project is either since essentially they just put paper around bottles and colored them a little..

Also, the bottles were plastic. I didn't even think to ask him until someone else noticed it in the picture. Again, let me reiterate my stance on this.. I do not agree with the alcohol bottles being used WITH the labels still on them. I'm all for cheap art supplies for teachers and using recycleables, I just feel a little more preparation could have been done before they did the project. To each their own though and thankfully this one wasn't mine to handle. :) thanks for all the opinions ladies. Even those of you who contributed nothing but snarky comments, really thanks for the entertainment. Lmfao.

Oh & I am deffff not a crunchy mom but it's crazy how quickly some of you would assume that from one post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (581-590):
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Also with bottles like that, often the labels can't be removed easily, they aren't like plastic you can just rip off, the words are printed onto the bottle. She would have to take a knife or something and scrape it off.

Quoting Mimihh213:

Exactly... A little more prep work my a**... Next home, you should volunteer YOUR time to spend hours peeling the labels off'!!!

I currently am a teacher on maternity leave, dreading going back because of patents like you that are NEVER happy!!! I get to school an hour early & stay a hour or two late each day, so if you can do a better job, home school your chil(ten). Really, no one is perfect.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Depends on what its for and why it was given to him.

If it was just for an art project, I wouldn't care. Its not like it had alcohol in it or they drank it around the kids. I'm sure all five year olds have seen an alcohol bottle at some points in their lives before, its not going to encourage them to drink, I don't think its a big deal.

mommyof24ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Real mature

Quoting talia-mom:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

At least I don't post like I am a 12 year old girl trying to text about boys with my best friends.

Quoting mommyof24ever:

Real mature

Quoting talia-mom:

mommyof24ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
The reason I feel as strongly as I do is because I experienced a situation where the parents felt the same way about about alchohol as u do. In the end all the exposure and the readynesd of availability at family parties etc.(this was when I was a very young girl) ended up being the reason that when his dad died he ended up in a lot of trouble with alcohol and then some. In the end all the exposure and what they thought would help his learn to deal. Ended up being the downfall. He's lucky he's Alive. It is good to be educated but at least where I'm from 5 years old is not the appropriate age for it. And my faith is involved in everything in my life. That is y I brought it into this because it is also a faith based opinion. Idont believe in drinking. That is me and my family. I by no means feel that the next person has to feel that way. And as much as Lucy and I disagree, I highly respect her for stating her opinion not to many women can be this frank and say it like it is. E en though we masively disagree finally someone to say it like it is.

Quoting LucyHarper:

mommyof24ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

No u use one liners to make it look like u are contributing to sometbing. I like intelluctual conversation. Not high school girl comments. Please spare me.

Quoting talia-mom:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

You obviously do not like intellectual conservations when you can't spell and type like a 12 year old girl.

Quoting mommyof24ever:

No u use one liners to make it look like u are contributing to sometbing. I like intelluctual conversation. Not high school girl comments. Please spare me.

Quoting talia-mom:

mommyof24ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Like really lol I am using my phone.

Quoting talia-mom:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM

How is that an excuse for your terrible spelling and text speak?  It isn't.

Quoting mommyof24ever:

Like really lol I am using my phone.

Quoting talia-mom:

mommyof24ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM
My auto type in messed up. This is really all u can say. Maybe this isn't the post for u

Quoting mommyof24ever:

teacherkaren
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Never in a million years would I have my students do a project with bottles that once held alcohol.  Labels or not.  Rinsed or not.  It's just not appropriate.  And if my child came home with such a project I'd be at the admin office ASAP with my complaint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)