Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Look what my 5 y/o nephew brought home from school yesterday

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else think this is beyond inappropriate!?! I can't believe his teacher didn't know better from the start. They were rinsed but idk if that changes my opinion on this situation at all. My brother will be up there speaking with administration as soon as he leaves work today.. But I'm just baffled. WHO could possibly think that was a good idea!?

Smh.

ETA: it's just a little art project. But the class was using an assortment of alcohol bottles. Obviously nothing to SPAZ about. But I DO think it should be addressed. To me it's just not appropriate in a kindergarten classroom.

ETA2: I just thought the labels should have been removed as well. I have no other issues with them using the bottles. They were rinsed but a lot of kids know what the label is and a lot of kids don't because they have alcohol free homes. I think it's up to the parents judgment to decide when they want alcohol bottles around their children.

ETA3: the project had something to do with the book "whistling Dixie". I've never read it so I don't really know what the plot entails. I didn't really get an answer as to what the project is either since essentially they just put paper around bottles and colored them a little..

Also, the bottles were plastic. I didn't even think to ask him until someone else noticed it in the picture. Again, let me reiterate my stance on this.. I do not agree with the alcohol bottles being used WITH the labels still on them. I'm all for cheap art supplies for teachers and using recycleables, I just feel a little more preparation could have been done before they did the project. To each their own though and thankfully this one wasn't mine to handle. :) thanks for all the opinions ladies. Even those of you who contributed nothing but snarky comments, really thanks for the entertainment. Lmfao.

Oh & I am deffff not a crunchy mom but it's crazy how quickly some of you would assume that from one post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (591-600):
Lotusflower_21
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I agree.  Very inappropriate.   

Poor choice!!!   I wonder how the school will respond.  

RebeccaforPR
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Girl, I'd be upset to. I'm no parent of the year but I was raised by teachers and my father, as a now retired superintendent, would have never allowed that in his schools unless like you said the teacher took more prep time. I agree no big deal on the bottles if the labels had been removed, I'm sure my teacher parents would say the same thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lotusflower_21
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I agree.  Very inappropriate.   

Poor choice!!!   I wonder how the school will respond.  

Bekki
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Wow. I am a teacher and no way would that get by my "appropriate meter!" I definitely would have soaked them to get the labels off. Not sure what that teacher was thinking.
k.vickery26
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Yeah I probably would have been pissed. We are not an alcohol free home but that's just not appropriate. Seriously though, why do they have so many empty alcohol bottles??? Just saying.....
jessica31876
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I would have a problem with it. It is not that I have an issue with others drinking it is that I have a problem with it being introduced to young children in school. Some parents are recovering alcoholics and some parents (like my husband and I) do not drink. It is not the point as to whether the kids have seen alcohol bottles or not it is whether it is an appropriate material to be used in a class with children who are 5-6 years old. They could have used all kinds of small bottles to decorate which are not as controversial. Pretty simple.

Jalestra
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I really don't care. Schools are getting cuts all over the place. She has to come up with things using what she has. Who knows, maybe some stewardess said "hey, maybe these will be useful" and shared. 

How many of us have packed a house using boxes from the local beer stores?

laurissaa
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's my thought. The TEACHER had to supply those bottles. NOT THE SCHOOL NOT THE PARENTS!!! A teacher!!!! If you're so picky about what little Suzy or Johnny brings home, HELP A TEACHER OUT!!! If not, quiet.
jessica31876
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Also just wanted to add if this was to be brought to school by a child of that age they would likely report it to DCF/CPS (whatever it is called where you live). They would also likely get a discipline referral to the principal/asst. principal as well for bringing it to school. So in my opinion if a child cannot or should not bring it to school the teacher should not be able to bring it for any reason for them to use it. Even with the labals removed. It is inapproriate and as I already said there are a million other things that could have been used instead of an empty alcohol bottle...rinsed or not. Still not a good idea.

VBolin
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
My kids art teacher use to take donations of boxes, paper towel rolls and such from parents. And my kids would make art projects out of Budweiser boxes! It bugged me a little but my kids had no idea what the boxes were for. I'd never have sent such boxes myself though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)