Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Look what my 5 y/o nephew brought home from school yesterday

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else think this is beyond inappropriate!?! I can't believe his teacher didn't know better from the start. They were rinsed but idk if that changes my opinion on this situation at all. My brother will be up there speaking with administration as soon as he leaves work today.. But I'm just baffled. WHO could possibly think that was a good idea!?

Smh.

ETA: it's just a little art project. But the class was using an assortment of alcohol bottles. Obviously nothing to SPAZ about. But I DO think it should be addressed. To me it's just not appropriate in a kindergarten classroom.

ETA2: I just thought the labels should have been removed as well. I have no other issues with them using the bottles. They were rinsed but a lot of kids know what the label is and a lot of kids don't because they have alcohol free homes. I think it's up to the parents judgment to decide when they want alcohol bottles around their children.

ETA3: the project had something to do with the book "whistling Dixie". I've never read it so I don't really know what the plot entails. I didn't really get an answer as to what the project is either since essentially they just put paper around bottles and colored them a little..

Also, the bottles were plastic. I didn't even think to ask him until someone else noticed it in the picture. Again, let me reiterate my stance on this.. I do not agree with the alcohol bottles being used WITH the labels still on them. I'm all for cheap art supplies for teachers and using recycleables, I just feel a little more preparation could have been done before they did the project. To each their own though and thankfully this one wasn't mine to handle. :) thanks for all the opinions ladies. Even those of you who contributed nothing but snarky comments, really thanks for the entertainment. Lmfao.

Oh & I am deffff not a crunchy mom but it's crazy how quickly some of you would assume that from one post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (611-620):
mommyof24ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I don't go around where there is alcohol. I guess some States have more of it around in the complete open then others from what I have gathered.

quote name="SavdNSanctified" id="0"][/quote]
Madameileen
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I haven't read all the replies, but from the book name and the look of the bottles, It looks like bottle whistles.  You know, blow across the top and a low musical note comes out.

I agree, remove the labels, don't let the kids know they were used for alcohol. 

Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Smh

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

It's unfreaking real that you can't read. It's my nephew and not my son. I didn't take anything to the school. I came to the wonderful world of cafemom. Regardless of your opinion though, I'm still glad my brother mentioned it to his teacher.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The problem is he's 5 and shouldn't be subjected to alcohol bottles in a school. A little hypocritical with all their "just say no" and DARE concepts.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

ok... did he drink it? no? than whats whats the problem?

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. Its a bottle for an art project for pete's sake. If it was a pop bottle, you'd probably bitch about that being inapropriate too, as pop bottles promote sugar.. You have blown this way out of proportion and shame on you for taking your lame complaint to the school. You could have soaked the label off yourself since you found it so offensive. Jesus christ, the only way your 5 yr would know its a booze bottle is YOU saying it is, or you have booze bottles in your home.  

Isn't there something more serious you could set your mind too, like one of the hungry kids programs in your neighborhood? All that energy you're directing at a freaking booze bottle for a little kids art project could be put to better use. 

Un-freaking real. What some mothers will do to cause trouble when the trouble is not needed. It's like you crave attention so you'll find any reason to get it.

What's un-freaking real is you turning into a freakoid nut bar over a 5 year old kid bringing home an empty washed booze bottle for an art project. If your nephew happens to be found to have talent in the art field by his teachers, he'll never get anywhere with it as long as his nut bar aunt and father go out of their way to stiffle it with this kind of petty bull shit. Shame on you, and shame on his father for blowing an innocent art project completely out of proportion.

"Smh"

An expected response from a phony.You come here and bitch about a booze bottle being inapropriate for your nephew's art project, yet you find the 'endearing' term, "Smh" appropriate for you to use as a response to a person's comment. You might want to ask yourself what's wrong with that picture, Antie dearest.

When you finally grow up, (which I highly doubt will happen) try posting again. Maybe then someone will actually take what you have to say seriously.

Notamom1234
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I agree.  I would not want my kids doing anything with alcohol bottles and I can't believe that people are okay with kids doing any projects with alcohol bottles.

ab51304
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

We are an alcohol free home so, yes, I would be upste if they were given alcohol containers, even if empty and rinsed.  We choose to be alcohol free and we choose to limit the influence it has on our children.  I doubt my kids would even notice it was an alcohol bottle but the fact that a kindergarten teacher would assume that a child carrying an empty alcohol container around in their backpack and then to their home is WAY off base.  Cheap art supplies are one thing but sheesh!  I AM a kindergarten teacher and I could just imagine the storm coming my way if I sent home my students with something like this!

Armygirl2299703
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I'd be a bit ticked if my almost 7yr old brought this home. If they're washed out and labels removed, all is fine. But if ANYONE is going to be introducing my daughter to such things, it will be me and only be becuase I am her mother and I am the only one that can make those decisions. Surely not a teacher.

LaceNBklyn
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM
I see where you're coming from I wouldnt like that either. It is inappropriate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tharealty2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Inappropriate

Genesise2009
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Point is there has been many times kids bring their own supplies in or teachers ask principles about spending money and getting refunded if anything and if she didn't have the funds send a flyer out to the parents asking for a dollar for crafts or say hey I'm going to use alcohol bottles for your kids to play with

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

Genesise 

Maybe the teacher would kept her home life at home. If she did not have to use her income to supply her class room. I pay enough taxes in a year that teachers should not have to use thier own personal money and things to teach your kids. So in till the city leaders gets their head out of their butts.Use the money that I pay in for the schools the right way, The teachers are doing the best that they can. 

Quoting Genesise2009:

Everybody should have their own life. Some people just don't know how to keep home life at home and the professional life at work. If it was my niece, nephew, son, daughter, or whatever I would most definitely talk to the teacher and principle. I'm not going to say no my children won't ever know what alcohol is but there is a limit to what is and isn't responsible for children even teenagers when it comes to alcohol and other related items I also agree with another post that says that bringing something like that in for the kids goes completely against the program that is set up for them saying that drugs and alcohol aren't good for kids and helps teaches the laws.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Lol that's what I thought but nope. I'm just assuming she shouldn't have a life..

Quoting Genesise2009:

If they have the money to buy the alcohol then they have the money to go to the dollar store and get new empty bottles

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

This!

Teachers can't get the money they need to teach kids nowadays anyways with all the budget cuts and other bullshit, and you are going to make a stink about a bottle?? It's a bit petty in my honest opinion. Get over it.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

god, id hate to be your kids teacher.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The problem is he's 5 and shouldn't be subjected to alcohol bottles in a school. A little hypocritical with all their "just say no" and DARE concepts.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Lol you sound a little crazy. I did NOTHING to offend you, yet I get bitched at for caring about what goes on in a kindergarten classroom that just so happens to be teaching my very young and impressionable nephew.. I forgot.. That's just not normal..

And yes I "smh" at you because I thought it would be a bit more polite than lmfao in your face..

Oh and the appropriate term is "Auntie". I don't have antennae and multiple sets of legs soo. J/s. :)

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Smh

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

It's unfreaking real that you can't read. It's my nephew and not my son. I didn't take anything to the school. I came to the wonderful world of cafemom. Regardless of your opinion though, I'm still glad my brother mentioned it to his teacher.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. Its a bottle for an art project for pete's sake. If it was a pop bottle, you'd probably bitch about that being inapropriate too, as pop bottles promote sugar.. You have blown this way out of proportion and shame on you for taking your lame complaint to the school. You could have soaked the label off yourself since you found it so offensive. Jesus christ, the only way your 5 yr would know its a booze bottle is YOU saying it is, or you have booze bottles in your home.  

Isn't there something more serious you could set your mind too, like one of the hungry kids programs in your neighborhood? All that energy you're directing at a freaking booze bottle for a little kids art project could be put to better use. 

Un-freaking real. What some mothers will do to cause trouble when the trouble is not needed. It's like you crave attention so you'll find any reason to get it.

What's un-freaking real is you turning into a freakoid nut bar over a 5 year old kid bringing home an empty washed booze bottle for an art project. If your nephew happens to be found to have talent in the art field by his teachers, he'll never get anywhere with it as long as his nut bar aunt and father go out of their way to stiffle it with this kind of petty bull shit. Shame on you, and shame on his father for blowing an innocent art project completely out of proportion.

"Smh"

An expected response from a phony.You come here and bitch about a booze bottle being inapropriate for your nephew's art project, yet you find the 'endearing' term, "Smh" appropriate for you to use as a response to a person's comment. You might want to ask yourself what's wrong with that picture, Antie dearest.

When you finally grow up, (which I highly doubt will happen) try posting again. Maybe then someone will actually take what you have to say seriously.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)