Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Look what my 5 y/o nephew brought home from school yesterday

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else think this is beyond inappropriate!?! I can't believe his teacher didn't know better from the start. They were rinsed but idk if that changes my opinion on this situation at all. My brother will be up there speaking with administration as soon as he leaves work today.. But I'm just baffled. WHO could possibly think that was a good idea!?

Smh.

ETA: it's just a little art project. But the class was using an assortment of alcohol bottles. Obviously nothing to SPAZ about. But I DO think it should be addressed. To me it's just not appropriate in a kindergarten classroom.

ETA2: I just thought the labels should have been removed as well. I have no other issues with them using the bottles. They were rinsed but a lot of kids know what the label is and a lot of kids don't because they have alcohol free homes. I think it's up to the parents judgment to decide when they want alcohol bottles around their children.

ETA3: the project had something to do with the book "whistling Dixie". I've never read it so I don't really know what the plot entails. I didn't really get an answer as to what the project is either since essentially they just put paper around bottles and colored them a little..

Also, the bottles were plastic. I didn't even think to ask him until someone else noticed it in the picture. Again, let me reiterate my stance on this.. I do not agree with the alcohol bottles being used WITH the labels still on them. I'm all for cheap art supplies for teachers and using recycleables, I just feel a little more preparation could have been done before they did the project. To each their own though and thankfully this one wasn't mine to handle. :) thanks for all the opinions ladies. Even those of you who contributed nothing but snarky comments, really thanks for the entertainment. Lmfao.

Oh & I am deffff not a crunchy mom but it's crazy how quickly some of you would assume that from one post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (631-638):
Nateaulo
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think you have every right to be upset! My youngest son is 8yrs old and if he came home with this art project I would have thought it was very inappropriate for any age! The teacher could have at least taken off the labels like you mentioned. Maybe if the teacher would have planned a little better he/she could have asked the students to bring in used bottles from home. I'm sure most families have empty pop bottles or something similar laying around the house and it's a great way to teach children about recycling. It just shouldn't have been alcohol bottles!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM
How is this an art project? All I see is a bottle with a piece of paper?
Ihold8Stars
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Apparently it's not cool to not drink around the kids lol

I have 8 kids and literally never seen a bottle in our home outside of cooking wine.

We Never go to bars. If we have a drinknits over dinner in a restaurant or while on vacation alone-

Never drank in front of a child never will.

Never walk down liquor aisles.

It wasn't until middle school that any questions came up and then it was due to parents kinda like the ones here... Who booze it up at home keep a steady supply of beer but complain how they can't afford anything else lol

Smh..

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

We don't go down the alcohol aisles. And she hasn't been to a restaurant since she was 2. That was 3, almost 4 years ago. And there was never any alcohol bottles that I saw when we were there. I really wonder where some of you people live where it seems that alcohol is apparently EVERYWHERE around you and your children!

Quoting Anonymous:

So you are actually saying that you have NEVER taken your daughter to the grocery store, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. OR a sit down restaurant!?  Sure!

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

We do not take our kids places where alcohol is served. They have never seen a bottle of alcohol. She does not need to know what it is at 5 years old. I will have that talk with her in a few years. I know this is very hard for some people to grasp, buy do try.

Quoting Anonymous:

The school most likely did NOT show her the first bottle of alcohol.  Do you ever eat outside of your home!?  Do you shop in a grocery store!?  Bottles of alcohol are EVERYWHERE, but your daughter hasn't asked you questions because it's NO BIG DEAL!  You are getting your panties twisted for no reason.  There is nothing wrong with alcoholic beverages, but when you are so tightly wound that you don't think that your child should know what it is, then you are going to have major issues on your hands in the future.

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

You're missing my point. I can explain it but I don't feel I should have to be talking to my kindergartner about alcohol at this early stage in her life. It's not the school's job to show her her first bottle of alcohol and introduce such a grown up topic to her. I will teach her about it. Or even D.A.R.E. could talk to her about it. But sending her home with a bottle of it is the wrong move.

Quoting Anonymous:

So your kid asks!? If you are so comfortable with your beliefs, then WHY can't you explain it! SMH

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

I would be very upset if my child brought an alcohol bottle home from school! We are a no alcohol home and it is never allowed around my kids. I do not think the school should be introducing it to children. I know my child would ask me what it says and then what it means.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Bump for a response. I would have flipped out. I would also check into the handbook most of the school handbooks have guidelines of not wearing clothes (etc) that has liquor and/or tobacco names on them. This goes WAY past that.
Donya90
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

As a retired science teacher, I used a number of bottles for different science projects. I did have a few parents send inappropriate bottles. (I taught at a high risk school) I couldnt imagine using these bottles at all. I threw them out as many kids in middle school knew the shapes of alcoholic bottles. As a mother, I would be upset. It wouldnt have taken much effort to remove labes, just soak in warm water with detergent. Perhaps the teacher is new (young and just graduated and doesnt have children.) As a teacher, I would have been mortified to send this home at any age. I have taught 5th grade up to 9th grade. Hopefully, the teacher can see were the parent is coming from. I know I would as a teacher apologize till the cows came home. I once put a witch up, for halloween...for decoration. It was the peanuts gang with Lucy dressed up in a witch outfit. One of my parents lost it as she was a Wiccan. Yeah, I know.....but her daughter was upset as her mom is a witch and she does not have green skin nor any worts. So I apologized and took it down. So many times teachers forget that there are there because of the children. Good Luck to your brother and nephew.

Skye24
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I would be more concerned that it was a glass bottle , than the type that it  was. Could a plastic bottle have been used ? If not , than remove the label , make sure it was thoroughly clean and lets not be silly about this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I guess most kids wouldn't know what the bottle actually contained previously ( and if the did, that too would be of concern) But why bothers me is the lack of common sense of the teacher his/herself.. I guess $$ can buy book smarts but not common sense!! The teacher could have at least thought "hmmmm, this may not look appropriate" or " someone's parent may be in recovery and could take offense" not everyone thinks ahead.
Izryalsmom
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Well, then maybe you shouldn't make comments about some when you know nothing about them. I do not drink, but my husband does from time to time. I find it more responsible of us as parents to teach our son the difference between the two cans, then to have him pick up a beer can thinking it is soda an end up drunk. You know nothing about me and you call me an alcoholic, I feel sorry for your children to have to grow up with someone so judgmental. Not that it's any of your business, but my father was an alcoholic and because of that I maybe drink 3 times a year.

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

Well then maybe you shouldn't be an alcoholic... 

Quoting Izryalsmom:

How do you know the kids don't know what the label is? My son knew the difference between a beer can and a soda can at 18 months. I agree, the label should have been taken off. At least without the label some of the kids may not have known it was an alcohol bottle.

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

Since this isn't your kid that just further proves that you are in fact overreacting and being unreasonable.

Was it the best judgement call on the teacher's part, probably not. But where else are you going to find bottles that small? She should have peeled the labels off, but even still it would be a big deal because "adults" know what they are, because that's all this is about, these kids don't know what that label is for.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

Wow. I am not an unreasonable parent. And I don't think I'm overreacting since its not my child. I just don't think that was good judgment on the teachers part.

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

This!

Teachers can't get the money they need to teach kids nowadays anyways with all the budget cuts and other bullshit, and you are going to make a stink about a bottle?? It's a bit petty in my honest opinion. Get over it.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

god, id hate to be your kids teacher.

Quoting GibsonSD92:

The problem is he's 5 and shouldn't be subjected to alcohol bottles in a school. A little hypocritical with all their "just say no" and DARE concepts.

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

ok... did he drink it? no? than whats whats the problem?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured