Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Keeping house clean with 2 toddlers.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies

I need help, tips, anything.

I am a SAHM of a almost 3 yr old and a 1 year old. My house should not be this messy :( It's embarrassing. It's not necessarily DIRTY, but just cluttered/messy. 

I don't even bother picking up the living room during the day because my kids will just pull the toys back out and throw them everywhere. 
My husband works 4pm to midnight every day. I try to clean at night but then I feel bad for him coming home to a messy house.

When I need to do things like dishes or mop the floors, I can't because my 2 year old is constantly terrorizing my youngest, or my youngest will climb up on the couch and I'll find him dancing in the window sill o_O

I end up doing all the cleaning at night after my husband gets home, then I don't get to spend any quality time with him.
It's starting to get overwhelming.

When I try cleaning when the kids sleep, they always end up waking up when I'm halfway through what I'm doing, and I have to leave a half ass job at whatever I'm doing.

Can anyone help me figure out how to keep this house tidy? I'm going crazy. I feel like it's not even worth it because the house isj ust going to get destroyed the next day. :( 

I feel like such a shit mom because I know other women handle this way better but I feel like such a failure :/

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you baby proof a room and put them in there so you can clean the rest of the house.  

I'm sure they nap.  Can you do some stuff when they nap?  

Put them in the kitchen with you and do the dishes.  Pull out the pots and pans or plastic stuff so they can play while you wash dishes.

I would not worry about the toys until the end of the day.  Right before bedtime have them help you put the toys away.  They are old enough to start helping.

model1000mom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, The more you stress the small stuff the more the children feel it and as long as they are healthy and happy no worries. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM

That's what I mean. When they nap and I try to do something,as soon as I go into the kitchen and make the tiniest noise they wake up and are cranky :/

Quoting spunky946:

Can you baby proof a room and put them in there so you can clean the rest of the house.  

Put them in the kitchen with you and do the dishes.  Pull out the pots and pans or plastic stuff so they can play while you wash dishes.

I would not worry about the toys until the end of the day.  Right before bedtime have them help you put the toys away.  They are old enough to start helping.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Put away a bunch of the toys. Limit how many they have access to. you can do things like teach them to pick up before lunch time. You can put the 1 yr old in the high chair while you fix lunch and 3 yr old picks up. During naps you can mop floors, dust clean kitchen pretty much everything but run vacuum. I would advice you to get a routine in place and follow it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

They are very healthy and happy kids.

I just feel like a crappy wife/homemaker when I can't get all these things done. Plus I've got relatives (mainly my grandmother) up my ass all the time saying "If I could do it single and working you can do it too". It just makes me feel like a failure.

Quoting model1000mom:

IMO, The more you stress the small stuff the more the children feel it and as long as they are healthy and happy no worries. 

Sept-babies2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Teach them to clean up too. Toddlers love helping..i have one toddler and a three yr old. They both love to help. They throw things away. Clean up toys. My three yr old cleans tables and does the dishes with me. He loves it and begs to help every time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jupiter5
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Can u put then to sleep with music playing it can drown out your noise
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think a routine might help...I have no idea where to start though.

We don't have a high chair :/

I'm getting a toddler carrier pretty soon hopefully, so I'm hoping I'll be able to throw my youngest on my back and get some simple things done like laundry and dishes.

It's also the fact that they are always at each other's necks and that's stressing me out even more.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Put away a bunch of the toys. Limit how many they have access to. you can do things like teach them to pick up before lunch time. You can put the 1 yr old in the high chair while you fix lunch and 3 yr old picks up. During naps you can mop floors, dust clean kitchen pretty much everything but run vacuum. I would advice you to get a routine in place and follow it.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Do they sit in high chairs?  Do the dishes while they are in the kitchen right after the meal.  Give them something snacky or a toy.  

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I mean. When they nap and I try to do something,as soon as I go into the kitchen and make the tiniest noise they wake up and are cranky :/

Quoting spunky946:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Both kids like to help, initially, but then they start pulling things back out.

Like my youngest, he'll pick stuff up and throw it in the trash or toy bin or whatever, and I'll give him praise, but then he'll just pull it right back out.

Quoting Sept-babies2:

Teach them to clean up too. Toddlers love helping..i have one toddler and a three yr old. They both love to help. They throw things away. Clean up toys. My three yr old cleans tables and does the dishes with me. He loves it and begs to help every time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN