Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vegan Panhandlers????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
In my town we have a large amount of panhandlers. I do not usually pay much attention to them or look down on them for the way they live. Today on my way home from work I saw a guy standing at a light that there are not normally panhandlers. I noticed him because he was in his mid to late twenties and did not really look homeless. His sign said something about needing work, or working for food, something like that. I can't remember exactly what his sign said because it was really just your average panhandler sign, and the lady with him really caught my attention. She was in her mid-twenties, and was holding a sign too. Her sign really caught my attention and made me wonder. Her sign said "Hungry Vegans" Anything will help". She did not look homeless or down on her luck. Her hair was cut into a trendy short haircut, it was colored red, and her bangs were long and bleached on the ends. I only explain how she looks because that is part of the reason i paid attention to her. If they are truly starving and begging for food, wouldn't they take any food they could get to help ease the pain of hunger? It makes me wonder if they put hungry Vegans on the sign so people would not try to give them a 99 cent McDouble, and would be more likely to give them cash. My question is really for Vegans I guess, if you were starving and begging for food, would you take any kind of food you could get, or would you rather starve? I am just wondering if they would rather starve, or if it was a ploy to get money instead of the McDoubles most people give the panhandlers around here.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I would take anything I could get if it got to the point of starving. Beggars can't be choosers.

Signed,

A vegan

aikimomof3
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I'm vegetarian, not vegan... BUT if I was literally starving, yeah I'd eat anything as long as it was food.

Bauxite-17
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I was a vegetarian at one point, and I was homeless at that time and when someone took me in, I just ate the food they gave me and said thank you. I took what was given gladly, even though I didn't eat meat.

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

A few of the panhandlers that hang out by my grocery store have 420 friendly on their signs - yeah right I'm gonna give $$ to a person who admits that they spend money on pot - NOT!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

aren't all vegans hungry? ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking that would be the case with most vegans. I know that some vegans become vegan for healthy choices, and I know that some choose to become vegans because of the animals. I was thinking that when a person was trying to survive and had no choice, they would choose their own life over an animals, and choose to eat the animal product to survive. I also know that there are some people who would give their own lives to save an animal but I believe that a person would most likely only make that choice in a quick moment where that would be their first response. I don't think they could sit and suffer, and die a slow death to save an animal because their brain would kick into survival mode and eat the animal product. I may be wrong and these are just my thoughts and are in now way dismissing a person's beliefs, and I cannot truly speak for a choice of another person, or how they would react.

Quoting VannaMae307:

I would take anything I could get if it got to the point of starving. Beggars can't be choosers.

Signed,

A vegan

Nature_girl
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
This vegetarian agrees

Quoting VannaMae307:

Signed,

A vegan

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I am a vegan on nutritionist's orders and I would STILL eat it if I was absolutely starving. I would have the runny poops for a while but I would imagine runny poop is better than absolute malnourishment.

I would also exhaust all other options before panhandling. I would go to a local food bank and see what they could offer, the closest thing possible to vegan, but that is again because I am actually vegan for health reasons (I care about the animals, too, but it's because of health primarily)

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking that would be the case with most vegans. I know that some vegans become vegan for healthy choices, and I know that some choose to become vegans because of the animals. I was thinking that when a person was trying to survive and had no choice, they would choose their own life over an animals, and choose to eat the animal product to survive. I also know that there are some people who would give their own lives to save an animal but I believe that a person would most likely only make that choice in a quick moment where that would be their first response. I don't think they could sit and suffer, and die a slow death to save an animal because their brain would kick into survival mode and eat the animal product. I may be wrong and these are just my thoughts and are in now way dismissing a person's beliefs, and I cannot truly speak for a choice of another person, or how they would react.

Quoting VannaMae307:

Signed,

A vegan

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but the difference between a vegan and vegetarian is that vegetarians do not eat any kind animal, and vegans do not eat or wear anything that is an animal or comes from an animal. Is that correct?

Quoting aikimomof3:

I'm vegetarian, not vegan... BUT if I was literally starving, yeah I'd eat anything as long as it was food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I see signs all the time where they try to be funny, or think they will get more money if they admit they want beer. I always wonder why they can't hold the signs for the businesses going out sale, the we buy gold signs, or the income tax signs and make $10 an hour while they do it? If they are going to be out there all day holding a sign, why not get paid to hold a sign since businesses are hiring people to hold them?

Quoting mom2priceboys:

A few of the panhandlers that hang out by my grocery store have 420 friendly on their signs - yeah right I'm gonna give $$ to a person who admits that they spend money on pot - NOT!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)