Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disgusted with my job - i'm a workers comp claims adjuster

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 94 Replies
I am a workers comp insurance adjuster and have been doing it for more than 10 years. I have gotten to the point that my job disgusts me. While there are people with legitimate work injuries who are unable to work, it seems more and more that people are using workers comp as the new welfare system. They don't want to go back to work and just want to stay home and collect tax free benefits. Workers comp was meant to supplement your income while u were recovering from an injury that happened while at work. And yes, there are real cases where the people are injured permanently and ARE unable to return to work. But even though u might not be able to do the work u did before, doesn't mean u can't work at a different job. Im just really frustrated withit, and while im happy to have a job, its disheartening to see the crap that goes on and see how NY state allows this to continue. (Yes I live and work in NY. This state is horrible). Do any if u know anyone who is abusing workers comp?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I used to work in insurance as well, in CA, and the same thing happened there - 25 years ago.

What a lot of people don't realize is that these "claims" drive up the cost of goods.  Your supermarket has two cashiers out on workers comp - they raise the price of groceries.  Your gas station has a claim - they raise the price of gas.  And so on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Yes. So many people! It truly sickens me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Yep and it pisses me off. She also abuses her FMLA benefits. It's infuriating.
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I used to work at a daycare, and we had someone there who we all suspected was abusing workers comp. She claimed she injured her shoulder at work, and couldn't move it past a certain point, and therefore could not do her job. She got a nice cushy job at the front desk and then took pleasure in trying to boss the rest of us around and trying to make us do stuff for her she "couldn't" do because of her "injury." Then someone would see her in her former classroom moving heavy furniture around. None of us believed her, but there wasn't anything we could do about it, and when she finally quit because she was moving, we were all happy to be rid of her. 

photo Cassandra-UnicornPuzzle_zpsfb1745b9.png
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I know a few abusing SSI, but not workers comp. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Yep. My dh knows a guy that has gotten workmen's comp at 3 places that he worked for. The last one he got a settlement and had part of his online college paid for. He still doesn't work because he says he is in so much pain. Yet, he can go golfing, he just bought a snowmobile..etc. A few years ago, when I was a hiring manager, he asked if I could get him a job. I said we weren't hiring. We were, but this guy is a liability for any employer and I was not going to put my name on a reference for him.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I don't know of any workman's comp slackers in particular-just slackers in general! lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM
And there's nothing we can do, as the adjuster. As long as their doctor says they can't work, that's all they need. We have even had surveillance of people clearly engaging in physical activity, work, etc and they still get their benefits.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

No because they pay so little here you can't live off of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Not abusing it- but waiting on a settlement like 6 years after the injury.

He fell 20ft off of a scaffolding and sustained a neck injury

walking hurts too bad so he is basically immobile. and the headaches are so severe even looking at the comp for 10 for fun causes blinding headaches.

not even 50 and totally fucked

and until workmans comp pays out he cant apply for disabilty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)