Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband wants me to stop nursing our three year old

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I nurse our three year old son still. He turned three two months and one week ago.

He only nurses first thing in the morning and then at naptime. He doesnt nurse at night anymore. he doesnt even nurse when he gets a booboo or upset anymore. SOme days he will go without nursing completely. 

We really are having trouble with this. I am not stopping. It is so rare and the thought of not nursing anymore makes me sad. 

Furthermore, his reasons are very selfish. Things like "it embarasses him" OR "I want them to be my boobs again"

WTH. We dont nurse in public anymore, havent in over a year. And as for wanting them to be his boobs again- they will always be MINE. 

I dont know how to get him off of my back abotu this. It doesnt help that his mom is on his side. My mother nursed my little sisters until they were three and the other was four. I have tried explaining to my husband that natural weaning age is between 2.5 and 7 years old and he laughs saying '"no child of mine will nurse until they are seven".  Well of course not- he is showing signs of stopping but hasnt completely yet

I really dont know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I was kidding.

Quoting Anonymous:

he isnt mean to our children like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

He should just start making fun of the kid everytime he nurses.

LaLa_Ivory
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
5 moms liked this
dont stop because of DH. stop when your child is ready.
my ds stopped nursing when he was almost 4. he was like yours, once or twice a day. then i got pregnant with #2, and he stopped because my milk dried up.
now im nursing dd1 (who is 1) while 28 weeks pregnant.

my dh is so ridiculously supportive, though. so i dont have this problem.

Im sorry you do =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
58 moms liked this

So many women stop being wives when they have children, that is a huge mistake and is why the divorce rate and cheating husbands are such a problem.  If he was patient through the breastfeeding process and now at three, when the child no longer physically needs to nurse, would like you to stop why are his feelings not important?

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
8 moms liked this
I don't understand the whole BF until they're 3-5 yrs old. So I'm no help. Hopefully you guys can come to some sort of compromise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

it is for his comfort. there is NOTHING gross about it.

Have you breastfed a child?

Quoting Anonymous:

Hes 3. Its just gross now

chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM
14 moms liked this
FFS. The child is 3. Your DH has a point.
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Other post ?

Quoting FL2AK:

I think you should sit down and take his opinion into consideration. You are not the only parent. From your post it sounds like you are still breastfeeding for your benefit, not your childs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM
6 moms liked this
There are still many benefits to nursing at the age of 3.

Quoting FL2AK:

I think you should sit down and take his opinion into consideration. You are not the only parent. From your post it sounds like you are still breastfeeding for your benefit, not your childs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM
3 moms liked this
I 1,000% agree with this.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

So many women stop being wives when they have children, that is a huge mistake and is why the divorce rate and cheating husbands are such a problem.  If he was patient through the breastfeeding process and now at three, when the child no longer physically needs to nurse, would like you to stop why are his feelings not important?

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Tell him since it doesn't even involve him, it's not his decision to make, I guess. Honestly, by 3 if it bothered my husband I would wean my child but if you don't feel that's right for you, do what you feel is right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN