Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband wants me to stop nursing our three year old

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I nurse our three year old son still. He turned three two months and one week ago.

He only nurses first thing in the morning and then at naptime. He doesnt nurse at night anymore. he doesnt even nurse when he gets a booboo or upset anymore. SOme days he will go without nursing completely. 

We really are having trouble with this. I am not stopping. It is so rare and the thought of not nursing anymore makes me sad. 

Furthermore, his reasons are very selfish. Things like "it embarasses him" OR "I want them to be my boobs again"

WTH. We dont nurse in public anymore, havent in over a year. And as for wanting them to be his boobs again- they will always be MINE. 

I dont know how to get him off of my back abotu this. It doesnt help that his mom is on his side. My mother nursed my little sisters until they were three and the other was four. I have tried explaining to my husband that natural weaning age is between 2.5 and 7 years old and he laughs saying '"no child of mine will nurse until they are seven".  Well of course not- he is showing signs of stopping but hasnt completely yet

I really dont know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (801-809):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 180 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM
It's creepy
MomOf2DueInJune
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Oh please did you really need to reply with a dam paragraph....i dont care how long you breastfed for....go boast about yourself somwhere. Yawn. It was a joke...Get those pantys of out of a knot.

Quoting PROGENITOR:

I nursed for 5 and a half years. My youngest is 3 and a half. Oldest is 5 and a half. I nursed tandem for a year 'cause I'm awesome like that.  DD weaned at 3, actually I prompted it, she would have kept going, but she accepted it and moved on. What he grows up to be has nothing to do with our (family) decision to practice extended nursing. It goes along with our philosophy of parenting and was what was right for our children.  How long one nurses or doesn't nurse is no indicator of what a child will be when they grow up.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

5 and a half years? wow!!! He better grow up to be a rocket scientist or something...

Quoting PROGENITOR:

I'd like to add that my DS was nursing more than twice a day, he would use it as a crutch. I was tired of that. But you know, after the first day of no nursing it felt so weird. I missed it. I didn't think I would miss it. But, it was a part of my life for nearly five and a half years. I'm glad to be done though.

Your DS will probably quit on his own soon enough.

PROGENITOR
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I was explaining, since you misinterpreted my reply. If you felt that was boasting then I think that says more about your own feelings than it does about mine. If you really didn't care then why even reply with a snarky comment?

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Oh please did you really need to reply with a dam paragraph....i dont care how long you breastfed for....go boast about yourself somwhere. Yawn. It was a joke...Get those pantys of out of a knot.

Quoting PROGENITOR:

I nursed for 5 and a half years. My youngest is 3 and a half. Oldest is 5 and a half. I nursed tandem for a year 'cause I'm awesome like that.  DD weaned at 3, actually I prompted it, she would have kept going, but she accepted it and moved on. What he grows up to be has nothing to do with our (family) decision to practice extended nursing. It goes along with our philosophy of parenting and was what was right for our children.  How long one nurses or doesn't nurse is no indicator of what a child will be when they grow up.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

5 and a half years? wow!!! He better grow up to be a rocket scientist or something...

Quoting PROGENITOR:

I'd like to add that my DS was nursing more than twice a day, he would use it as a crutch. I was tired of that. But you know, after the first day of no nursing it felt so weird. I missed it. I didn't think I would miss it. But, it was a part of my life for nearly five and a half years. I'm glad to be done though.

Your DS will probably quit on his own soon enough.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Please explain to me when a "binky" is EVER necessary?

Quoting mommy74146:

Not necessarily. When ds was 1 and continued to want his binky, I took it away. It comforted him but it wasn't necessary anymore, he needed to learn to function without it. Your child doesn't need the boob anymore. Why not pump and put it in a cup if you're still determined to give breast milk? Does he still have to breastfeed?

Quoting Anonymous:

di you read the comment where i said that on the days he doesnt nurse I feel "free"

No it isnt a comfort thing for me. when he was younger I could put him in a ring sling and nurse and go no about my business. now I have to stop what I am doing. some days it is very annoying but when you are a mom, you do whatever comforts your baby.

Quoting mommy74146:

Or does it comfort you?

Eta: I'm not the anon you quoted. Just a question.

Quoting Anonymous:

there is nothing sexually pleasing about breastfeeding.

dont put words in my mouth.

you know how when you are a parent and you do things for your kid because it comforts them. This is just like that

Quoting Anonymous:

So what is it then? Is it pleasurable? I mean it doesn't hurt right? So it must be the opposite.

Quoting Anonymous:

you answered that for yourself

it doesnt hurt me.

wth is with people

Quoting Anonymous:

If breastfeeding hurts so damn bad then why is it so hard for you to stop? I'm not saying you said it hurts but every woman has said breastfeeding is not pleasurable at all. Well then why is it so hard for you to stop?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vash77
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

Why would she spend 200$ on a machine she has to clean,etc when her kid can hop on her lap maybe 10 minutes and be done?

I won't be bf past 1 for my own selfish reasons but I applaud any one who does.

Quoting vash77:

3 years old is too old to still be nursing. far too old. if it's for health benefits you're still doing this, then EXPRESS your milk, but for gods sake, stop actually nursing. we're out  of the stone age now, we have options.

Aubrey-Nicole
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I agree with your husband
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prOud_mOmmie_26
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I think 3 is too old to be BF but hey to each their own. I don't like to be told what to do with my kids so I don't tell any one else what they should do with theres.

Snivs
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

FFS Please stop!! Its getting to that point where it is disgustingly disturbing.

vash77
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

a breast pump does not cost $200 and if she regularly washes dishes, it shouldn't inconvenience her.hell, she can have her "half grown" kid do it. i'm sorry,  but walking, talking, dressing (hopefully potty trained) is too damn old to be physically breast feeding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)