Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband wants me to stop nursing our three year old

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I nurse our three year old son still. He turned three two months and one week ago.

He only nurses first thing in the morning and then at naptime. He doesnt nurse at night anymore. he doesnt even nurse when he gets a booboo or upset anymore. SOme days he will go without nursing completely. 

We really are having trouble with this. I am not stopping. It is so rare and the thought of not nursing anymore makes me sad. 

Furthermore, his reasons are very selfish. Things like "it embarasses him" OR "I want them to be my boobs again"

WTH. We dont nurse in public anymore, havent in over a year. And as for wanting them to be his boobs again- they will always be MINE. 

I dont know how to get him off of my back abotu this. It doesnt help that his mom is on his side. My mother nursed my little sisters until they were three and the other was four. I have tried explaining to my husband that natural weaning age is between 2.5 and 7 years old and he laughs saying '"no child of mine will nurse until they are seven".  Well of course not- he is showing signs of stopping but hasnt completely yet

I really dont know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

just saw your edit

I dont encourage it and honestly I feel free on the days he doesnt nurse. but on the occasion that he does, it is just a sweet time we share.

Quoting Anonymous:

He should just start making fun of the kid everytime he nurses.

JOKE! Just make sure you're not encouraging the nursing.Some kids can feel pressure if they think mom needs it. Other than that, go for it.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM
10 moms liked this
Ugh. Go away.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hes 3. Its just gross now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM
15 moms liked this

It sounds like the kid is ready to stop and mommy is the one that isn't!

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

I was kidding.

Quoting Anonymous:

he isnt mean to our children like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

He should just start making fun of the kid everytime he nurses.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this

That is ridiculous.  It's not about him.  It's about what's best for your child.

brittany208
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah... kind of weird now.

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
5 moms liked this
This.

It's your body, yes, but if the issue is effecting your marriage, I'd take his opinion into consideration.

Quoting FL2AK:

I think you should sit down and take his opinion into consideration. You are not the only parent. From your post it sounds like you are still breastfeeding for your benefit, not your childs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
10 moms liked this

Except that you can't force a baby or child to breastfeed so....... guess he still wants it after all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
3 moms liked this
This. If he goes a full day without nursing anyway can't you just stop?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
7 moms liked this
Sounds like he's nearly done nursing anyway. Why can't DH just relax- it will probably only be for a few more months anyway. Its not like this is an older child. I'd agree more with your DH if your child was say, in Kindergarten, but he's not. He's three, which is still very young. Oh and you're right- your breasts are not your husband's. This isn't 1513.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)