Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband wants me to stop nursing our three year old

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I nurse our three year old son still. He turned three two months and one week ago.

He only nurses first thing in the morning and then at naptime. He doesnt nurse at night anymore. he doesnt even nurse when he gets a booboo or upset anymore. SOme days he will go without nursing completely. 

We really are having trouble with this. I am not stopping. It is so rare and the thought of not nursing anymore makes me sad. 

Furthermore, his reasons are very selfish. Things like "it embarasses him" OR "I want them to be my boobs again"

WTH. We dont nurse in public anymore, havent in over a year. And as for wanting them to be his boobs again- they will always be MINE. 

I dont know how to get him off of my back abotu this. It doesnt help that his mom is on his side. My mother nursed my little sisters until they were three and the other was four. I have tried explaining to my husband that natural weaning age is between 2.5 and 7 years old and he laughs saying '"no child of mine will nurse until they are seven".  Well of course not- he is showing signs of stopping but hasnt completely yet

I really dont know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
6 moms liked this

Sorry I agree with dad and MIL.

ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Only stop breastfeeding when you and your son want to, no one elses opinion matters!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree with your husband.
Nicole1357
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this

If it were me, I would have already. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this

can you articulate clearly what is "weird"

outside of the "its not normal" (because biologically it is) and "breasts are sexual" (because that is not their original purpose)

Quoting brittany208:

yeah... kind of weird now.

livingrlovesong
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Do what's right for you and your son. Your husband needs to understand that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
But if she stopped I don't think he would object either. She says he goes a day without it. Couldn't that mean he's ready?

Quoting PEEK05:

Except that you can't force a baby or child to breastfeed so....... guess he still wants it after all.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like the kid is ready to stop and mommy is the one that isn't!

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Quoting Texascandee:

Personally, I think 3 is to old to be nursing, but that's just my opinion

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katarina666
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
4 moms liked this

Your creating dependancy in your child.Your the one with issues.It is not normal to nurse at all after the age of 2. If I was your husband I would for bid it and take drastic mesures are you sure your not mentally Ill?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
9 moms liked this

I have to agree with your husband--if you're not nursing for the child, but for your own emotional needs it's time to stop.  At 3, he can certainly drink breast milk exclusively from a cup-if it's that important pump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN