Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband wants me to stop nursing our three year old

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I nurse our three year old son still. He turned three two months and one week ago.

He only nurses first thing in the morning and then at naptime. He doesnt nurse at night anymore. he doesnt even nurse when he gets a booboo or upset anymore. SOme days he will go without nursing completely. 

We really are having trouble with this. I am not stopping. It is so rare and the thought of not nursing anymore makes me sad. 

Furthermore, his reasons are very selfish. Things like "it embarasses him" OR "I want them to be my boobs again"

WTH. We dont nurse in public anymore, havent in over a year. And as for wanting them to be his boobs again- they will always be MINE. 

I dont know how to get him off of my back abotu this. It doesnt help that his mom is on his side. My mother nursed my little sisters until they were three and the other was four. I have tried explaining to my husband that natural weaning age is between 2.5 and 7 years old and he laughs saying '"no child of mine will nurse until they are seven".  Well of course not- he is showing signs of stopping but hasnt completely yet

I really dont know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Question- if its so completely natural then why did you stop nursing in public?

southern.momof2
by Pirate on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your husband.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

If he comes back for it the next day, no.  Oftentimes toddlers, especially older toddlers, will go a day or two without it and then come back for it.  They just don't nurse as often as a newborn baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

But if she stopped I don't think he would object either. She says he goes a day without it. Couldn't that mean he's ready?

Quoting PEEK05:

Except that you can't force a baby or child to breastfeed so....... guess he still wants it after all.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like the kid is ready to stop and mommy is the one that isn't!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I dont recall stating in my OP that it is affecting my marriage. I may have given that impression. from what I can tell in our day to day- our marriage is happy and healthy. we have small issues. this is starting to be a big one, but again I know our son will stop any day now so I dont feel the need to rush him and make it a stressful event

Quoting Litlmama87:

This.

It's your body, yes, but if the issue is effecting your marriage, I'd take his opinion into consideration.

Quoting FL2AK:

I think you should sit down and take his opinion into consideration. You are not the only parent. From your post it sounds like you are still breastfeeding for your benefit, not your childs.

JLo1486
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. It doesn't sound like its about your son at all.

Quoting FL2AK:

I think you should sit down and take his opinion into consideration. You are not the only parent. From your post it sounds like you are still breastfeeding for your benefit, not your childs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momalee40
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM
14 moms liked this
The US is pretty much the only country that tries to shame moms into stopping nursing. There is nothing gross about it and i bet if it was a girl, he wouldnt say a word about it.
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this. It sounds like you as well are doing it for selfish reasons too. The child doesn't need it for nutrition now, its purely a comfort thing so it seems.

Quoting FL2AK:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM
3 moms liked this

because he doesnt ASK to nurse in public. it is more of a comfort thing when he is sleepy. He eats regular meals for the most part. This question really makes no sense. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Question- if its so completely natural then why did you stop nursing in public?

XxPixiesworldxX
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM
6 moms liked this
Im lucky that my.DH is so super supportive of extended nursing. Ds is 3 & 1/2 & still nurses and im 30 wks pregnant. He nurses for comfort mostly but he is still getting a great amount of nutrition and antibodies. My fav thing about nursing a toddler is that he still gets what he needs on days hes picky and not eating. And such a lifesaver when sick...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

ewwww that's all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)