Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Couch to 5k!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM
  • 24 Replies

So I'm a mommy of two DD's who are 2 and 4 months! I gained quite a bit of weight with my first DD, but was also a newly wed, so I was happy...and ate. Never lost my baby weight. Then when I got things in order and started losing...I got pregnant again. :) Life happens. BUT once I had my sweet 2nd DD, I knew I had to get back down to where I was before DD #1. I dropped 35 lbs instantly after DD #2, and then began taking Phentermine once DD hit 3 months and I stopped BFing. She's 4 months today. I've worked out sparingly since stated this new medication, and I've dropped 15 lbs. I have 55 more to go. That being said...

I love running. I've always loved the concept of it. How it made me feel when I committed to doing it, even when I felt huge and like I was breathing like a wild animal. I just felt amazing...so long as no one witnessed me breathing like that, or jiggling all around. :) But it's always been on my "Bucket List" to do a 5k. Oh how I dreamed. ...but I have a fear of running outside...where others can see me. I'm not tiny, and I'll have to start from the beginning of DYING, to work up to jogging. 

There's a 5k coming up in my state. The Color Run, and the Run For Your Lives 5k. DH and I really want to do the Run For Your Lives 5k in May and I recommended the Couch to 5k. I did it one summer, and LOVED IT, but stopped shortly after. But I also had a treadmill, which I don't have now.

I really want to prep and do this 5k, But I'm TERRIFIED of running outside and looking ridiculous.

has anyone ever felt this way? did you overcome it? How so? Help! 

Mommy to Shawn Caleb, Finley Ann & Sara Winslet Grace!

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM
My advice, just do it! So what if you look rediculous, you look better than everyone NOT out there working towards their goals :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM
BUMP
CheyanneW
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM
I love C25k! Ran my first 5 k last year. I'm still overweight. I don't care what others think. At least I'm doing something about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM
I'm wondering the same thing.

I grew up hating running because I was overweight and could feel the fat jiggling. Plus it was a punishment. Blechh.
Anyways, I'd love to start running.
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM

If you feel self conscious, go walking/jogging late at night. I took up jogging and I went a around 7 or 8pm when it was getting dark. I ended up hurting my ankles jogging so I haven't gone in a while, but I was really starting to see a difference. I wasn't doing Cto5k but I was basically doing the same idea.

Good luck!

StevieMarie
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I wanna do it too! I am starting to integrate it in the workouts I have been doing. My knee is all fucked up from a previous injury, but I have to get this weight off so a little at a time is all I can do. But it helps!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I've really wanted to try this. Go for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lullabylee89
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I really try to tell myself that too. That I'm "Lapping everyone who's sitting on their couch right now." ...but that doesn't exactly  make me feel better. It's motivating, but I'm still self conscious. My DH has always offered to go running with me. He's prior military, and use to play soccer for them, so he likes running (though he's out of shape now.) The ONE time we went running together, I had already been practicing, but I go so nervous to run with him...because I thought he'd make fun of the fact I might breathe to heavy. :/ Silly, I know. But I can't help it!! Of course I didn't tell him this, so he eventually got annoyed with me, that I wouldn't run, when he knew I had been running alone all week. So he just assumed I couldn't run, and I was lazy. Which made me mad and I stopped completely, because I was too ashamed to tell him really why I didn't want to go with him. That, and he has a tendency to get in "Drill Sargent" mode with me when I ask for his help. I need some motivating pushing when it gets tough...but not the kind of pushing that makes me want to punch him in the throat and go cry. lol. But I want to do this 5k with him, I think it would be so great for us to do together...but I'm so scared of people seeing me PRACTICE for the dang thing.

ldylancer03
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM
I think we are gonna try and run two 5ks in April on the same week :/ and we are just starting out too. I am overweight but wanna change that and my goal is o get fit an run at least a half marathon some day. We are doing a biggest loser walk and one for MS. Have fun and good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Ok... a couple of things..

1.) Runners DO NOT pay attention to people that are out running.. 99% of runners are really great people that are just stoked to see other people out running...especially newbies!! We are typically in our own little zone and it doesn't even register in our heads that someone else is on the road with us. LOL 

2.) Who cares what anyone else thinks?? Are you doing it for them or for you?? You need to do something that makes YOU happy. 

3.) C25K is a great beginner program. Dh did it when we took up running and loved it... ( it bored me to death, so I just started to run.) 

4.) Register for a 5K now. This way, you have no excuse not to do the 9 week program and you have a goal for the end of it. 

5.) The Color Run is not a "true" 5k as it is not a timed race per se. You are going to be walking at times since you will be pelted with colored powder at several points along the race. The Run for your Life 5K ( is this a zombie or vampire run??) is a timed obstacle course so that one you would need to do some strength training for as well as running if it is anything like the Warrior Dash ( which has rope walls and such)...

6.) Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!! 

7.) Get fitted for running shoes. Do NOT just grab a pair of shoes off the shelf and expect to run in them. Running shoes are essential, but they need to be fitted to your feet. I suggest going to a running store and being analyzed and fitted. It will truly save you many injuries to run in the proper shoes. 

I'm a runner so let me know if you have any questions. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN