Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So I'm a mommy of two DD's who are 2 and 4 months! I gained quite a bit of weight with my first DD, but was also a newly wed, so I was happy...and ate. Never lost my baby weight. Then when I got things in order and started losing...I got pregnant again. :) Life happens. BUT once I had my sweet 2nd DD, I knew I had to get back down to where I was before DD #1. I dropped 35 lbs instantly after DD #2, and then began taking Phentermine once DD hit 3 months and I stopped BFing. She's 4 months today. I've worked out sparingly since stated this new medication, and I've dropped 15 lbs. I have 55 more to go. That being said...

I love running. I've always loved the concept of it. How it made me feel when I committed to doing it, even when I felt huge and like I was breathing like a wild animal. I just felt amazing...so long as no one witnessed me breathing like that, or jiggling all around. :) But it's always been on my "Bucket List" to do a 5k. Oh how I dreamed. ...but I have a fear of running outside...where others can see me. I'm not tiny, and I'll have to start from the beginning of DYING, to work up to jogging. 

There's a 5k coming up in my state. The Color Run, and the Run For Your Lives 5k. DH and I really want to do the Run For Your Lives 5k in May and I recommended the Couch to 5k. I did it one summer, and LOVED IT, but stopped shortly after. But I also had a treadmill, which I don't have now.

I really want to prep and do this 5k, But I'm TERRIFIED of running outside and looking ridiculous.

has anyone ever felt this way? did you overcome it? How so? Help! 

Mommy to Shawn Caleb, Finley Ann & Sara Winslet Grace!

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Replies (21-24):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Quoting Lullabylee89:

Ohh yes yes!! Anything you want to help me, gimme gimme gimme!! lol

I live in Paris, Tn, but I also visit Spring Hill, TN often. So if there's something near those two, I will get there! lol 

Quite frankly, I read blogs on other girls that run, so I see what they do and such...but I'm a total newbie to running ...anywhere...for anything. lol. I have DREAMS of doing a half marathon, but up  until the other day it never even crossed my mind that a 5k is wayyyy different than a half marathon. I just never took the time to think about the distances. SO, that being said, I'm very new. Don't know the "lingo," the basics, different races, what to wear, what to do, none of that. lol. But...running is something I've constantly thought about for years, like I just KNOW if I would commit and prove it to myself, I'd be more in love with it that I am now. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Lullabylee89:

The Run For Your Lives is a zombie 5k, and it's based in the woods. I'm sure there are such things as ropes and walls, but you do have to dodge large fallen trees, and maybe some water. Lol. We're going for a hike in the woods today, but we're determined to start running next week. I"m hoping, as I'm in the middle of losing weight anyway, that that new motivation and confidence will ease my fears when I go to run outside. And I have been told to get running shoes fitted, which I need too, badly. All we have in my town is a Hibbets though. Think they'll know what I need? I saw yesterday that the Run For Your Lives is timed, and they're giving out medals this year for this that "Survice" and those that get "Infected. " I'm pretty stoked.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Ok... a couple of things..

1.) Runners DO NOT pay attention to people that are out running.. 99% of runners are really great people that are just stoked to see other people out running...especially newbies!! We are typically in our own little zone and it doesn't even register in our heads that someone else is on the road with us. LOL 

2.) Who cares what anyone else thinks?? Are you doing it for them or for you?? You need to do something that makes YOU happy. 

3.) C25K is a great beginner program. Dh did it when we took up running and loved it... ( it bored me to death, so I just started to run.) 

4.) Register for a 5K now. This way, you have no excuse not to do the 9 week program and you have a goal for the end of it. 

5.) The Color Run is not a "true" 5k as it is not a timed race per se. You are going to be walking at times since you will be pelted with colored powder at several points along the race. The Run for your Life 5K ( is this a zombie or vampire run??) is a timed obstacle course so that one you would need to do some strength training for as well as running if it is anything like the Warrior Dash ( which has rope walls and such)...

6.) Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!! 

7.) Get fitted for running shoes. Do NOT just grab a pair of shoes off the shelf and expect to run in them. Running shoes are essential, but they need to be fitted to your feet. I suggest going to a running store and being analyzed and fitted. It will truly save you many injuries to run in the proper shoes. 

I'm a runner so let me know if you have any questions. 

I wasn't sure if you were doing the zombie or vampire..they are pretty much the same...one you run from zombies and the other vamps..lol... Dh runs the Warrior Dash and the other 2 are exactly like the dash except you are being chased through the obstacle course. 

Hibbet is not going to be able to analyze your feet properly... if you tell me what city you are in, I might be able to find a running store near you. They are going to be your best bet as they are specifically for runners. 

Running is great... there is nothing better than putting on my gear and getting out of my head for an hour or two. 

5ks are the best beginner races. If you like it, I can steer you towards some more advanced running programs and you can work up to other distances.. my fave is the half marathon. I have 3 or 4 5Ks in April alone, and a half in September and maybe October... gotta see how close I am to testing for my Personal Trainer Certifications and how much time I will have to run though.

Your enthusiasm will get you far in the running world girl! 

I did a quick search for your area and running stores...

Run Franklin is in Franklin which looks like it is not too far from Spring Hill..www.runfranklin.com is the website. I can't find anything near Paris... the stores I have found that are reliable will be the Franklin store and a Fleet Feet in Murfreesboro. 

It might benefit you to read some articles on www.runnersworld.com. I LOVE this magazine and have had a subscription for several years. There are resources for proper running form, reviews on shoes, and feel good stories as well. 

5k- 3.1 miles

8K-5 miles

10k- 6.2 miles

12K-7.5 miles

15K-9.3 mile

16K-10 miles

20K-12 miles

1/2 marathon- 13.1 miles

25K-16 miles

30K-19 miles

Marathon-26.2 miles

100K-62 miles

Then, you have the crazy runners that are Ultramarathoners....100s of miles per race....nuts! LOL 

Learning the "lingo" like splits, repeats, etc.. will take time.. 

Start with c25K and read some articles and you will start to learn more about running. It is a great way to decompress. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

i'll be straight with you:  no one cares about people running outside... what i mean is, you are getting your run on and that's all that matters.  no one cares how heavy you're breathing, how you look running, if things are jiggling.  before i started my fitness regime and was a lazy ahole, i used to see people running outside and i would think to myself: "damn, they're good.  i really should do that too".  so for those who don't run and see others running, there is a sense of admiration and respect for those who get out there and pound the pavement because running ain't easy!

however, regardless of what size you are, if you're making a change, that is enough to gain a lot of respect.  it's not easy to lose weight and never ever let the thoughts of others stop you from making a healthy life decision/lifestyle change.  you are the only one who matters and if people laugh or whipser, WHO THE FUCK CARES!  YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

Lullabylee89
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

OH, those are great stores! I'm going down to Franklin next week for my birthday, so I may have to ask my hubby to make a pit stop before dinner! :) If not, Murfreesboro has a huge Army Surplus store, so I that can benefit DH, while I go look at SHOES! lol. Omg, thank you so much!!!

I am def. going to start catching up on some articles and more blogs about the C25K, and beginner runners. I mean I've read things in the past, but I feel a bit more committed to look this time. 

What about strength training? DH showed me something last night (Thought I had a 4 mo old baby, and a toddler begging for my attention at the same time) about strength training and the C25K together? Some sort of weekly plan. What kind of strength training helps out with running though? I know I sound about half retarded but I really have no clue what I'm doing. I'm good at yoga, and chasing a baby, and using those big workout balls. lol

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Lullabylee89:

I live in Paris, Tn, but I also visit Spring Hill, TN often. So if there's something near those two, I will get there! lol 

Quite frankly, I read blogs on other girls that run, so I see what they do and such...but I'm a total newbie to running ...anywhere...for anything. lol. I have DREAMS of doing a half marathon, but up  until the other day it never even crossed my mind that a 5k is wayyyy different than a half marathon. I just never took the time to think about the distances. SO, that being said, I'm very new. Don't know the "lingo," the basics, different races, what to wear, what to do, none of that. lol. But...running is something I've constantly thought about for years, like I just KNOW if I would commit and prove it to myself, I'd be more in love with it that I am now. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Lullabylee89:

The Run For Your Lives is a zombie 5k, and it's based in the woods. I'm sure there are such things as ropes and walls, but you do have to dodge large fallen trees, and maybe some water. Lol. We're going for a hike in the woods today, but we're determined to start running next week. I"m hoping, as I'm in the middle of losing weight anyway, that that new motivation and confidence will ease my fears when I go to run outside. And I have been told to get running shoes fitted, which I need too, badly. All we have in my town is a Hibbets though. Think they'll know what I need? I saw yesterday that the Run For Your Lives is timed, and they're giving out medals this year for this that "Survice" and those that get "Infected. " I'm pretty stoked.

Quoting mcginnisc:

1.) Runners DO NOT pay attention to people that are out running.. 99% of runners are really great people that are just stoked to see other people out running...especially newbies!! We are typically in our own little zone and it doesn't even register in our heads that someone else is on the road with us. LOL 

2.) Who cares what anyone else thinks?? Are you doing it for them or for you?? You need to do something that makes YOU happy. 

3.) C25K is a great beginner program. Dh did it when we took up running and loved it... ( it bored me to death, so I just started to run.) 

4.) Register for a 5K now. This way, you have no excuse not to do the 9 week program and you have a goal for the end of it. 

5.) The Color Run is not a "true" 5k as it is not a timed race per se. You are going to be walking at times since you will be pelted with colored powder at several points along the race. The Run for your Life 5K ( is this a zombie or vampire run??) is a timed obstacle course so that one you would need to do some strength training for as well as running if it is anything like the Warrior Dash ( which has rope walls and such)...

6.) Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!! 

7.) Get fitted for running shoes. Do NOT just grab a pair of shoes off the shelf and expect to run in them. Running shoes are essential, but they need to be fitted to your feet. I suggest going to a running store and being analyzed and fitted. It will truly save you many injuries to run in the proper shoes. 

I wasn't sure if you were doing the zombie or vampire..they are pretty much the same...one you run from zombies and the other vamps..lol... Dh runs the Warrior Dash and the other 2 are exactly like the dash except you are being chased through the obstacle course. 

Hibbet is not going to be able to analyze your feet properly... if you tell me what city you are in, I might be able to find a running store near you. They are going to be your best bet as they are specifically for runners. 

Running is great... there is nothing better than putting on my gear and getting out of my head for an hour or two. 

5ks are the best beginner races. If you like it, I can steer you towards some more advanced running programs and you can work up to other distances.. my fave is the half marathon. I have 3 or 4 5Ks in April alone, and a half in September and maybe October... gotta see how close I am to testing for my Personal Trainer Certifications and how much time I will have to run though.

Run Franklin is in Franklin which looks like it is not too far from Spring Hill..www.runfranklin.com is the website. I can't find anything near Paris... the stores I have found that are reliable will be the Franklin store and a Fleet Feet in Murfreesboro. 

It might benefit you to read some articles on www.runnersworld.com. I LOVE this magazine and have had a subscription for several years. There are resources for proper running form, reviews on shoes, and feel good stories as well. 

5k- 3.1 miles

8K-5 miles

10k- 6.2 miles

12K-7.5 miles

15K-9.3 mile

16K-10 miles

20K-12 miles

1/2 marathon- 13.1 miles

25K-16 miles

30K-19 miles

Marathon-26.2 miles

100K-62 miles

Then, you have the crazy runners that are Ultramarathoners....100s of miles per race....nuts! LOL 

Start with c25K and read some articles and you will start to learn more about running. It is a great way to decompress. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lullabylee89:

OH, those are great stores! I'm going down to Franklin next week for my birthday, so I may have to ask my hubby to make a pit stop before dinner! :) If not, Murfreesboro has a huge Army Surplus store, so I that can benefit DH, while I go look at SHOES! lol. Omg, thank you so much!!!

I am def. going to start catching up on some articles and more blogs about the C25K, and beginner runners. I mean I've read things in the past, but I feel a bit more committed to look this time. 

What about strength training? DH showed me something last night (Thought I had a 4 mo old baby, and a toddler begging for my attention at the same time) about strength training and the C25K together? Some sort of weekly plan. What kind of strength training helps out with running though? I know I sound about half retarded but I really have no clue what I'm doing. I'm good at yoga, and chasing a baby, and using those big workout balls. lol

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Lullabylee89:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Lullabylee89:

Quoting mcginnisc:

6.) Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!! 

5k- 3.1 miles

8K-5 miles

10k- 6.2 miles

12K-7.5 miles

15K-9.3 mile

16K-10 miles

20K-12 miles

1/2 marathon- 13.1 miles

25K-16 miles

30K-19 miles

Marathon-26.2 miles

100K-62 miles

Cool! I hope you are able to go to a store..it will benefit you so much as a runner to get good shoes. I'm a neutral runner and I love Brooks. I'm currently running in Ghost 4s, but I'm probably going to get some Minimals soon...I love shoe shopping.. they love me as I could spend all day in my fave running store and spend a fortune in there. LOL 

Strength training- push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, weights..all of that is great. 

Be sure that you follow c25k and only run 3x per week or every other day and you can cross train on the other days. Also, make sure that you take at least 1 rest day per week so your muscles can rebuild and restrand. Strength training will help you with endurance as a runner as well.The big win about strength training is that the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn!  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN