Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

makes me sad

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM
  • 42 Replies
5 moms liked this

i read a few posts on here about people who have a mental illness shouldnt be trusted with kids, or have children.  not everyone with a mental illness is dangerous or crazy.  its an illness that has to be treated. i just dont understand why is there such negativity connected to people  who are mentally ill?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gemikris82
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM

BUMP!

gemikris82
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

BUMP!

LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

They probably had bad experiences with someone who's mentally ill. 

gemikris82
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

mental illness isnt a one size fits all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I just found out I am bi polar and was told on here I should have my kids taken away. Hmmm my kids are 12 and 15 think I've done good this long. I have a support system in place and know what is wrong with me now. I have never harmed my kids. I work 20 hours a week and on top of this I am legally blind became legally blind after my last child was born and I have cancer. An yet people on here say my kids should be taken away I don't understand why should they be taken away.

Quoting gemikris82:

i read a few posts on here about people who have a mental illness shouldnt be trusted with kids, or have children.  not everyone with a mental illness is dangerous or crazy.  its an illness that has to be treated. i just dont understand why is there such negativity connected to people  who are mentally ill?

LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

mental illness isnt a one size fits all. 

Yes, I know.

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they are talking about ppl who aren't medicated...or ppl who claim they are so bad off that they need disability but then have their kids...If you can raise kids you should be able to work...just my opinion...and I know there are diff circumstances for everyone...just saying...

whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this
well my family is known for its schizophrenia. two of them killed themselfs, one drove off a cliff & the only other person i know of with a mental illness is my friends mom.....who one day up & left them (turned out she was mentally unstable) so whenever i hear "mental illness" the first thing i think of is someone who is unstable....not saying thats always the case, thats just what i think of...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Some people have problems in social settings.  A friend of mine is an amazing mother but she has a very hard time being in public and god forbid if some yells at her.  She worked at a call center for a few weeks, she did great through the training, but once they put her on the phone she ended up in tears within the first few minutes.  They sent her home to try and calm down, the next day it was the same thing and they had to let her go.  Sadly this is what happens at every job she gets.  Her husband makes enough to support them.  So according to you she could keep her kids, but if her husband died unexpectedly and she needs disability she should then have them taken away. 

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

I think they are talking about ppl who aren't medicated...or ppl who claim they are so bad off that they need disability but then have their kids...If you can raise kids you should be able to work...just my opinion...and I know there are diff circumstances for everyone...just saying...

gemikris82
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Quoting whoopsie16:

well my family is known for its schizophrenia. two of them killed themselfs, one drove off a cliff & the only other person i know of with a mental illness is my friends mom.....who one day up & left them (turned out she was mentally unstable) so whenever i hear "mental illness" the first thing i think of is someone who is unstable....not saying thats always the case, thats just what i think of...

thats sad, and its rather closed minded.  i dont know alot about scitzos but what i do know is that its a horrible illness.  i have bipolar and the thought of being schitzo freaks me out, i wouldnt know how to live iwth it.  bipolar is plenty for me.  but anyways we arent all unstable and weird or anything.  its like having diabetes, you have to take care of it and keep it under control

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN