Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seizure???!!! Please answer!

Okay, so I guess I'll try to get an answer from this group! 
My daughter had two episodes around Thanksgiving in which her body went limp out of nowhere with her eyes open, and would not wake up or respond. On the 2nd occasion, it lasted more then 10 minutes. We called an ambulence. At the ER they took her blood, and found nothing.
Her pedi found nothing wrong. I finally got her in to a neurologist two weeks ago. They did an EEG and it came back clear. The past 2 weeks, she's been fine. A normal, happy 5 month old. 
Well tonight, I put her in bed. She started to cry and I waited a few minutes to see if she'd fall asleep. She got quiet, and I went to go see if she was asleep. And her head was bent back, eyes open, and her chest was going up and down violently... I observed about 5 seconds because babies do breathe erratically sometimes. She started to shake, relax, shake, relax her body as if she was having convulsions. I called her name, and she did not look, but continued, eyes still opened. I didn't wait, but grabbed her up and she came right out of it and looked at me. She's totally responsive now. 
This was so alarming. She is just fine. Came right out of it the second I scooped her up. Should I be worrying? What the heck?? 

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Replies (11-18):
GwenGray
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:50 AM

My son did that at a few weeks old. It turned out to be seizures. The down side to EEG's is that they have got to be be on the EEG machine when it happenes, not before or after. Next time it happens, look at her eyes when it's done if they are extra glossy, then it is one. That's what my son's pedi told me to look for. When that happens, don't pick her up, but put her on her side. You don't want her to convuls and fall out of your arms. Best of luck hun.

TarantulaTress
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:53 AM
That's actually a good idea...

Quoting mymanben:

Have a camera or your cell on hand and record it to show the doctor

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirlsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Has.she been sick? My youngest has febrile seizures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Maybe see if they will do a 24hr test.  Honestly if you have a Children's hospital close to you that is where I would go.  My kids no longer see regular Dr.'s

mymanben
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I heard a story not long ago just like this. The only way they got the doctors to really listen is they recorded it. They had to have a cell or camera on them at all times to not chance missing it. Also, to the OP, bug the crap out of them. I told, I don't know how many doctors, that I think my son has a sensory problem. Not until he was three did I find a doctor that would listen to me

Quoting TarantulaTress:

That's actually a good idea...

Quoting mymanben:

Have a camera or your cell on hand and record it to show the doctor

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsNiko88
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My dd did something similar at 7 weeks. We did the 24hr EEG, a long hospital stay etc. It turned out to be Myoclonus. Youtube and watch some of the infants. Is that what your baby is doing?

bradley102
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM
my husband has seizures. there are different types of seizures associated with epilepsy. i would definately record it on your phone so the doctor can see what is going on. my husband had the eeg or what ever it is called and it was perfectly normal. and he had been having seizures for a while. i asked the nurse how this could be and she said it was normal because there was no activity going on at the moment. good luck mamma.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Don't accept the brush-off from your doctor. Find another one. Do some symptom research on Google, Yahoo, Medical sites. There is a problem and you shouldn't stop until you know what's happening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN