Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The old saying that "money does not buy happiness" is not necessarily true.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies
4 moms liked this

It does give you a comfortable lifestyle where you can do things that give you pleasure, like vacations, cruises, expensive hobbies, nice dinners out, extras for your kids and all their extra curricular things that are so important.Paying for expensive things with CASH is a blessing.  While it will not excuse you from other bad things that go wrong in life, it most certainly helps.  To actually say money is not important is FOOLISH.  I am not talking about being filthy rich.  The upper middle class is the ideal class to be in, like it or not.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
indymom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree..my comfortable lifestyle was taken from us, and I miss it.  We can still pay the bills, but i miss the extras.

amyrebecca1853
by Amy on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Agreed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IndigoRose
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this

Agreed.  People who say that money doesn't buy happiness usually have never had a lack of it.  Then, the next thing that often comes out of their mouths is:  "You ARE rich.  You have your family, your health...," ---and so forth...  Don't quote me platitudes...  Sure, those things are blessings, but they really don't make you rich.  You just try to pay the bills with them!...

"I've been rich and I've been poor.  I like being rich better."

---Sophie Tucker.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Totally agree. I have always felt the same way! While money doesn't buy true love, the lack of it can strain it so much that its lost!!
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Is that why many rich people are miserable?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Me too.  I has to leave a long time job several years back.  I cannot do half the things I used to be able to do, but what it has taught me is to budget better, etc.. While we are still OK, I miss  those extras. 

OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I completely agree with this post. People who say, "money can't buy happiness", likely haven't had to live paycheque to paycheque. It's hard to live like this.

My family is ok financially, but we can't afford vacations right now. We are doing a payment plan for my daughter's braces, we have to save for large purchases. It's not easy being on the poorer side of life.
JeremysMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
While I agree for the most part, I think happiness is also subjective. I really hope to live a minimalistic lifestyle at some point in my life. I also want to serve in the Peace Corps ( I am currently serving in AmeriCorps), and hike the Appalachian Trail. Those things will make me happy even though both of those things will basically have me living in "poverty".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Is that why many rich people are miserable?

MY SIL family is rich and they are certainly not miserable.  Her husband's brother is filthy rich, they are also far from miserable, so I doubt all rich people are unhappy. There are a LOT of poor, lower middle class people miserable as well.  Having money does NOT take away life's problems, just life's financial problems and that is a HUGE one.  Can you imagine not having to worry about money for the rest of your life?  I would never lose sleep again, ever.

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not rich or even upper middle class. I'm very happy. Its called budgeting and saving. I still vacation, shop, get my nails done. Even eat out a few times a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN