Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those of you who like to say "The AAP reccomends BFing until at LEAST age two".....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Are you a hypocrite? Becuase the AAP also reccomends vaccinating.

Lets see how many of you only listen to the parts you want to agree with.

http://www2.aap.org/immunization/

ETA; Let me also say I am 100% do what's best for you, and your family, but I am against telling people what to do because you think its the ONLY right way, and then judging and putting them down. If you want to BF until 40 and not vaccinate GO FOR IT. Just don't spout off sites that agree with only part of what you're saying. That's a hypocrite.

Thanks all!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Replies (141-150):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I didn't bf my oldest because I was to drugged up to figure it out (after a c-section). I onlt bfed my youngest until about 3 months because it was to painful and she was eating every 30mins. I had never heard of a lactation consultant. The only option I thought I had was ffing. So thats what I did. Thanks to CM I now know that there are other options. If I ever get my tubal reversal I will try again. I also didnt know that I had a choice on vaccines. I had never heard of erf. I dont care how others feed their kid, but I appriciate the ladies that do post the recomendations and their reasons for either following them or not following them.

Quoting Kmary:

First, I'm pretty sure you're confusing the WHO with the AAP.  Second, there absolutely are people who are very pro-extended nursing and also vaccinate.  I'm one of them! 

For what it's worth, I don't really see the hypocrisy in researching all recommendations, taking them into account and then molding and modifying to fit the needs and desires of your family.   Recommendations are wonderful, but they're not laws or hard and fast rules.  It's really ok for people to make their own choices regarding each parenting issue separately.  When people use the fact that breastfeeding until 2 is recommended, they're simply using that information as a means to prove that it's not "gross" or "weird" but rather medically beneficial.  It doesn't automatically mean that they personally do it or expect everyone else to.

Aeonix
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I go by what I think is right for my kids. And just because they get some things right doesn't mean their word is gospel. I do not find it hypocritical to agree with some of what they say and to disagree with other areas. They also are not my only source of information about such issues.
Aeonix
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

I should hope you aren't trying to say those who choose not to vax are in 'lala land' in general. I am choosing to delay as long as possible and avoid some vaccines entirely for my children. I don't think nothing bad will ever happen. I weighed the pros and cons and educated myself and have decided how to proceed based on that. I call that making an informed decision.

I could also turn the argument around, because vaccinating is NOT without risk.
elliotmommytobe
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM
She didnt say that she asked if you dont vaccinate too

Quoting Anonymous:

because all people who ebf don't vaccinate. smh

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I listen the AAP recommendation that breast milk is best for a baby for at least the first year of life, because it a biologically sound practice. It is also recommended by the WHO and every other health organization in the world. 

I do not listen to them on the vax issue. Their support of the insane vax schedule is not supported by evidence. It has NEVER been proven that that many vaccines administered at once is safe. I do my research on this topic and we are a delay vax family. 

I do not listen to them on routine MGM. Their stance on circumcision, it is biased. They made a more favorable stance to circumcision, because their previous statement lead to insurance companies viewing it as a cosmetic procedure and not covering it. This has a huge impact on their pocket book. So, they gathered up studies with dodgy methodology and antiquated as heck to create this new recommendation. When they released their new statement on MGM, we become laughing stocks of the international medical community! Any medical professional who can look you in the eye and discuss reducing the spread of STD's and HIV and does not use the words "abstinence", "monogamy" or "condom" is trying to sell you something! 

I do not listen to them on the topic of bed sharing. Less than 70 babies die in ONE YEAR while sharing a sleeping surface with an adult. Over 3,000 die alone in their crib in ONE YEAR! I practice the biologically sound and statically safe practice of bed sharing! 

The AAP is not responsible for the safety of my children. I am. That is why I do my research and look at the care of children from an international and biologically sound perspective. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

LOL good one

momof2891
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I tried to bf all three of mine but I didn't make enough milk so I ff. I do vaccinate but with ds #2, I delayed his DTaP vaccine until he was 6 months. Dh and I lost ds #1 to SIDS and our pedi recommended we wait until ds #2 was 6 months to give him his first DTaP shot and we agreed with him. I know vaccines and SIDS aren't connected but we weren't taking any chances. I am really paranoid about certain things. Ds #2 was on an apnea monitor for 6 months and any children we may have in the future will be on one also.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oostera
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

First, it's the WHO that recommends that.

Second, it is 100% proven that BF is positively beneficial to babies and young children. It is NOT 100% proven that vaccines are. The ingredients alone prove that they are not. Formaldehyde? Mercury? Not safe. So, THAT is still an option the parent can decide is healthy or not for themselves.

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I don't really care what the AAP says, but I did breastfeed, at least my last one, for longer than 2 years; AND my kids are fully vaccinated. So, no, I'm not a hypocrite, but my choices are only coincidental with theirs. I make my own choices.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I vaccinate & i bf both my kids past the age of two. Wheres my medal? I demand a medal. . . & a cape. Not everyone can be super mom like me ;) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)