Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Obamacare taking your taxes.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies
So I heard on the news that next year when Obamacare goes into effect, if you don't have coverage and you don't pay the fine, they will take it out of your refund check! What do you know about this?!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Go for it. I get EIC.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I'm covered and will continue to be. Not an issue for me :)
hplesha
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
That's what i read in the papers h&r block gave us
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
We have insurance... So I'm not worried about it.
JenieceMojica
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Same here. I was told the first fine for hubby was $400 and the second fine would be $900

Quoting hplesha:

That's what i read in the papers h&r block gave us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teeloffel
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

That makes sense. It's one way to make sure that the people who don't have / can't afford coverage don't have the burden of paying the fine forced upon them directly.  

I think it's a great idea, actually. I mean, I get it; paying a fine sucks, but at least they're not taking it out of the money that you're using to live. 

mary841108
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

i got a packet from my tax lady that explained it all. we have coverage so its not a big deal for me.

dudestfd
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this

They are getting their money either way. It is all around bullshit. 

vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
That's how its worked in Massachusetts for years and years now.

However, when your taxes are done, they ask for proof of insurance and then if you weren't covered, the system figures out by the amount you make what you could have afforded a month for insurance.

If you are broke, they waive the fine, if they assume you could have afforded $100/mnth due to your income, then they will take that, so they will take $1,200.

One year Massachusetts assumed I could afford $40 a month, but by the end of getting my taxes done, it was determined I was freaking broke, so they waived the fee.

I assume the Obamacare situation will be very similar.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM
4 moms liked this
So basically its another way of giving the poor a free pass and screwing over the working poor again?

Quoting vwd_johnson:

That's how its worked in Massachusetts for years and years now.

However, when your taxes are done, they ask for proof of insurance and then if you weren't covered, the system figures out by the amount you make what you could have afforded a month for insurance.

If you are broke, they waive the fine, if they assume you could have afforded $100/mnth due to your income, then they will take that, so they will take $1,200.

One year Massachusetts assumed I could afford $40 a month, but by the end of getting my taxes done, it was determined I was freaking broke, so they waived the fee.

I assume the Obamacare situation will be very similar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)