Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I pay dh's child support -update-

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
After much back and fourth, dh's ex finally sent the girls over. Dh is calling his lawyer tomorrow to see if we can get an emergency hearing in regards to custody

It's 568 for two girls, 13 and 15. Dh is a sahd. Today dh's ex called him and asked if he could send 200 more because they're out of oil and she's broke until Friday. I told him to tell her to send the girls here until Friday or until she gets oil.
My reasoning is because we're trying to get custody of the girls because her current husband has a drug habit and spends all of the money. We told her to either leave him or we're taking her to court. She refused, quoting her vows (which meant nothing when she kicked dh out).

So my question is, is there anyway this could backfire with me not sending the extra money?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Not that I know of.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope. You provided a safe alternative.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM

You pay the allotted amount.  You're not required to pay more.  

What do they need oil for?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM
They have oil heating.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I can't see how you would get in trouble. You offered to take the kids and have no obligation to pay for her oil bill.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Your DH doesn't have a job and he thinks he is going to get custody? He probably won't because legally, you have no obligation to those children  so if he got custody, the judge would be sending the children to live where the person who is responsible for them has no income. Them being provided for would depend on y'alls marriage, which is your DH's second BTW. Unless you can prove a drug problem (I mean hard proof, not hear say) the judge probably won't change custody .

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Aaaah.  That's $200?  Man, expensive.  

If you're feeling generous, go buy the oil for them.  That way you're not handing over cash for them to blow and they get what they "need".

Quoting Anonymous:

They have oil heating.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JLS2388
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The biggest thing here will be their ages, if they want to live with their dad, the judge will probably order it, if they don't he will probably let them stay where they are. Once they hit the teen years, unless you can prove they are in immediate danger, generally the judge orders them to live where they want to.

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
10 moms liked this
I call bullshit. Many stay at home moms have custody. @@

Quoting Anonymous:

Your DH doesn't have a job and he thinks he is going to get custody? He probably won't because legally, you have no obligation to those children  so if he got custody, the judge would be sending the children to live where the person who is responsible for them has no income. Them being provided for would depend on y'alls marriage, which is your DH's second BTW. Unless you can prove a drug problem (I mean hard proof, not hear say) the judge probably won't change custody .

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
No. You offered to take them until she could provide what she needed. IMO if you can't provide the necessities then you shouldn't have primary custody.

And depending where you live I imagine Oil is a must have in places that get below freezing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)