Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

New study just came out on how circumcision harms male sexuality

BJU Int. 2013 Feb 4. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11761.x. [Epub ahead of print]

Male circumcision decreases penile sensitivity as measured in a large cohort.

Source

Department of Urology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium.

Abstract

WHAT'S KNOWN ON THE SUBJECT? AND WHAT DOES THE STUDY ADD?: The sensitivity of the foreskin and its importance in erogenous sensitivity is widely debated and controversial. This is part of the actual public debate on circumcision for non-medical reason. Today some studies on the effect of circumcision on sexual function are available. However they vary widely in outcome. The present study shows in a large cohort of men, based on self-assessment, that the foreskin has erogenous sensitivity. It is shown that the foreskin is more sensitive than the uncircumcised glans mucosa, which means that after circumcision genital sensitivity is lost. In the debate on clitoral surgery the proven loss of sensitivity has been the strongest argument to change medical practice. In the present study there is strong evidence on the erogenous sensitivity of the foreskin. This knowledge hopefully can help doctors and patients in their decision on circumcision for non-medical reason.

OBJECTIVES:

To test the hypothesis that sensitivity of the foreskin is a substantial part of male penile sensitivity. To determine the effects of male circumcision on penile sensitivity in a large sample.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS:

The study aimed at a sample size of ≈1000 men. Given the intimate nature of the questions and the intended large sample size, the authors decided to create an online survey. Respondents were recruited by means of leaflets and advertising.

RESULTS:

The analysis sample consisted of 1059 uncircumcised and 310 circumcised men. For the glans penis, circumcised men reported decreased sexual pleasure and lower orgasm intensity. They also stated more effort was required to achieve orgasm, and a higher percentage of them experienced unusual sensations (burning, prickling, itching, or tingling and numbness of the glans penis). For the penile shaft a higher percentage of circumcised men described discomfort and pain, numbness and unusual sensations. In comparison to men circumcised before puberty, men circumcised during adolescence or later indicated less sexual pleasure at the glans penis, and a higher percentage of them reported discomfort or pain and unusual sensations at the penile shaft.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study confirms the importance of the foreskin for penile sensitivity, overall sexual satisfaction, and penile functioning. Furthermore, this study shows that a higher percentage of circumcised men experience discomfort or pain and unusual sensations as compared with the uncircumcised population. Before circumcision without medical indication, adult men, and parents considering circumcision of their sons, should be informed of the importance of the foreskin in male sexuality.

© 2013 BJU International.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Replies (251-260):
kryptomom
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Didn't read it.  Dh is circumsized and he has no complaints.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Oh I remember her ! What a freak.
This stuff is crazy.
Pot while.pregnant is harmful. I bet her baby cries with a high pitched shrill cry and can't be comforted. Its typical of "pot babies".

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

lol *sigh

All of the males I've ever known, including my husband of many years have been circumcised and have never had a problem with sensitivity.

The anti-circ fraction is getting more clever with their attempts.

Don't you mean LESS clever? Lol

I mean, when their arguments were that it's unnecessary or that it's not the parents' choice to make they may have had a point- a weak point, but a point nonetheless.

But when they start with the nonsense of using online surveys as facts and saying crap like "circumcised men have more problems dealing with emotions", that's bordering on stupid...

The "study" and "survey" aspects are the clever part. ;) lol It's all official....and stuff.

Honestly, I prefer silliness like the information provided here versus a poster once telling me on a different group that I had "assaulted" my son when I agreed to have him circumcised and that I took away his ability to decide for himself.

She then went on, in a different thread, to discuss how her OB approved her smoking pot while pregnant. So the "ability" of the fetus "to decide for him/herself" whether or not to get high was a moot point? lol

All credibility of this idiot was then gone..........far, far away...at that point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
No detrimental consequences?
There is your denial right there. At least admit you're removing something that has a function.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I'm glad i wised up and all sons after my first will stay intact.

I can't believe some of you women. Denial isn't a good look for you.

Neither is intolerance and ignorance.

No one here is in denial, we simply reached a different conclusion than you with the available facts.

Denial is babbling about how wrong it is when it has proven medical benefits, no detrimental consequences and it's a practice that has thousands of years with one third of the world's male population being circumcised and the vast majority living happy, healthy and productive lives. Now THAT's denial of facts.

Thinking it was the best choice for MY boys isn't being in denial.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

The numbers are not equal so it is incomplete. They can't use it to say that it affects it. This is a bias research.

mary841108
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

you can also have issues when getting a tooth pulled or filled, or lasik eye surgery or any other medical procedure done. Does that mean we should get rid of all medical practices, or just the ones that people dont agree with? the road goes both ways. I've never met anyone who had after effects from a circ. but like you said, it doesnt mean its not there. There are risks with everything.

Quoting danie24:

Just because you've had no issues doesn't mean removing the foreskin is healthy.

There are plenty of men who do have problems because of circumcision.

And there are plenty of women who are victims of female genital mutilation who have no health or hygiene issues.

Quoting mary841108:

yeah but we dont care about your country :p lol j/k. for real though, i am not against circumcision, i just think this is a silly argument. I got my son circ'd and he has no issues health & hygiene wise so to me whats done is done. if i have another boy (oh please god no more kids ever!) he'd be circ'd as well.

Quoting danie24:

America will always be behind when it comes to education, medicine and science in general.

Out of all the industrialized nations, it's the absolute worst when it comes to human health and well being.

In my country, doctors haven't practiced routine infant circumcision in many years. It's only done when medically necessary.. which is very rare. The vast majority of the adult men are intact here.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

"No detrimental consequences?
There is your denial right there. At least admit you're removing something that has a function."

Actually, no function beyond the fetal period has been proven. Even medical organizations like the Canadian Paediatric Association admits the functions of the foreskin are mere "assumptions" and unknown.

http://www.cps.ca/documents/position/circumcision

And ultimately, as I said, if it was so detrimental, wouldn't you think that after thousands of years and a third of the world lacking a foreskin these effects would be apparent by now? And yet all anti-circs manage to dig up is a questionable "study" done online, with an obvious biased sample of subject and reaching conclusions that are illogical based on the data.
Unbiased studies showing no difference in sensitivity and function are many and properly conducted.
So who's really in denial? Who's not seeing reality?
Intactivists.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
If DH got more sensitive then he is now I wouldn't bother. Lol, one or two of my moves and it could be all over. There is no way I would handle that well. So glad he's circ'd!!! Lol
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
That doesn't say much about him. In fact that's not something I would be posting.

Quoting Dee0886:

Tell that to my circumsized DH who has to really concentrate not to let it go too early LMAO

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I've never met a man in my lifetime who had problems. Again, this so called study is crap. You are a know nothing bitch.

Quoting VanessaCB:

prettymama72106
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Same here. Lol

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

Dunno it didn't hurt my dh sexuality a bit, he's hypersensitive and horny all the time

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN