Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for those of you who 'pay' for people on welfare..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have a question..If you work, taxes are taken out automatically. The taxes you pay go to government programs and what not. But, don't a lot of people get most of their taxes back? Plus if you claim dependents you get more out than you pay in. How are they paying for welfare families??
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Replies (131-140):
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We paid 12K in taxes and are only getting back 4K, so some of my money goes toward welfare.

However, we have used FS in the past during a rough time, so I'm happy to pay my share toward stuff.   Do I think people abuse the system?  Sure...   Do I think we need welfare reforms?  Heck yeah....

Do I believe that we at least need SOME public assistance, yes...

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

But we also happily pay taxes for the local school district... but we homeschool and don't use any of the stuff at school.  

I don't want to stop paying taxes, and I don't want money from the government toward educating my kids...

Why?  Because I believe in supporting the schools, but I also believe in my right to teach my kids by my standards.

Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

(trimmed the quote tree)

You've been in all of their homes and seen their material possessions? You know for a fact that every single welfare recipient has "things they don't need?" That each and every one of them today on public assistance is so because they didn't know how to finance and save? That none of them are on PA today because circumstances occurred in their lives that they didn't anticipate--death of a spouse or child? loss of a job and having to live off of their savings until they couldn't help but go on PA while trying to find a job? medical debt outside of their health-care plan that was unforeseen and not expected?

And those are just three examples of what could happen.

Many, many people have gone through their savings while still trying to find a job. Once that savings has been depleted and they still do not have a job, they've had to turn to the one thing they never thought they would--welfare, even if it's only temporary. Even if this is not something they intend to remain on.

There is much to say about personal responsibility but there are NO guarantees in life. A very responsible person could have that money in the bank and would have had to use it to survive until it was gone.

My suggestion is come to understand *who* is receiving public assistance today. Sure, there are many still out there, abusing the system but not all are. Not today and not in the past few yrs, where businesses and individuals (subsequently) have seen tremendous losses, still trying to recover.

Don't generalize the demographic to suit your opposition of public assistance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yet, those same people had homes full of things they did not need, rather than putting that money toward potential future issues. Hmmm....big screen tv or putting 1k in the bank? Those kinds of situations are brought upon themselves for not planning correctly. Your home is not stable if you don't have sufficient savings to carry you at least 6 months or more, no matter how good your situation seems at the time. I hate hearing people whining about losing everything they own. Well, if you woukd have not blown your money on things you wanted, you would still have the things you need. Personal responsibility goes a long way.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Figure *what* out?

Honestly, I don't believe you fully understand the scope of how some have been living the past few years. There are many who lost jobs due to downsizing of the company they worked for or even business closures and have had to turn to public assistance for the simple basics in life.

They're trying to simply eat and live. Not all of them are welfare lifers. They want something more but aren't able to have it yet.

So they know what they want and need but do not, at this time, have the ability to get it. Not yet.

It seems you're basing your entire thought process on this subject based on a percentage of welfare recipients. Yet not all of them live like that. Not all of them are enjoying themselves or kicking back, with no intention of finding a way off of PA.

These government officials *get* this that you see on a regular basis. Why can't you?

Quoting Anonymous:

I see my government officials, at all levels on a regular basis..... I write them, I campaign for leaders that agree with my position, I started petitions and get the word out at every level....

what should we do with them.... put strict time limits on them... they will figure it out, if people need assistance, they need to actively engage in some way to become independent... if they chose not to, fine... they can live the life they can afford.....

knkd
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummm sweetie... I make 250K a year... I rarely get a tax return.  so yeah, Im happy to say my TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars are paying for lowlifes who use their cash benefits for drugs and extras that they can't afford.   

DUH!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

So people who worked their butts off to go to college so they could get a good job and earn a good living DERSERVE to have 1/3+  of their money taken away?  You ma'am are an ass.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well Jesus, honey, I think you might be able to afford it!

Quoting Anonymous:

I paid $63,000 in taxes for last year. I pay for welfare families. 

knkd
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

wtf should she have to?  she EARNED that money!  EARNED IT.  I work my ass off, I'm a good parent, I juggle and I make sure I do EVERYTHING I NEED to do... Why in the HELL should I have to pay for some lazy bitch who has more kids so she can get more money and pay a dime for government housing.  THIS IS WHAT is WRONG with our country.   

I know that if the government CUT welfare benefits like this... and paid off our national debt...we wouldn't have such an issue.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Well Jesus, honey, I think you might be able to afford it!

Quoting Anonymous:

I paid $63,000 in taxes for last year. I pay for welfare families. 

singlemom1208
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I don't get back as much as I pay in
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

um......some of us DON'T get our taxes back, you know. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Are you dense? No you don't get most of your taxes back. Learn math.

Math is a good thing.
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I'm looking at my 2011 taxes right now, we owed $27,983.00 and that's what we paid. That's just FEDERAL taxes. Then, we owed, and paid, $10,215.00 to the State of California. So, yes, I get a little annoyed that I pay more than what some people earn in a year. Yes, I am a giver not a taker, and I'm pissed when I see the wastefulness of our government with my dollars. We did get a refund but that's because we had more witheld through the course of the year than we owed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)