Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it weird that I agree, that addiction is a choice....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The other poster was either poofed or she deleted it herself. ( I don't agree that addiction is a choice, I just wanted it to be known what post I am discussing)

She made some good points. Simply teaching your children to just say no, isn't enough. You should teach them about being responsible with drugs, if they do end up going out and doing drugs.

Now, I am by no means going to give drugs to my kids, or tell them its okay, because its not okay to abuse drugs, but if they do, do drugs, to use them responsibly, and to be safe about it. You can't protect them from everything, but you can arm them with knowledge at least.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Agreed. People sugar coat and say its not their fault....it is a persons fault, if they become addicted to something.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Addiction is a consequence of bad choices. Plain and simple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Well, of course teach your kids to just say no, but if thats ALL you're teaching them, you aren't giving them a good chance. You need to teach them what drugs do, how they effect your body. I was taught to just say no, but never did anyone say why drugs were bad.

And yes, there is a right way to do drugs. Deny if you must, but there is a correct way to use drugs. Drugs can be fun, but they can also be very dangerous

Quoting Anonymous:

I will not teach my children there is a safe way to do drugs because there isn't. The best way to Void getting addicted is to not ever do drug. I had to many friends that started doing drugs as teens.one that started in 5th grade. It has screwed up their lives. I will teach my kids to just say no. Its really not that had to say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh for fucks sake!! This sounds even more ignorant and stupid when someone agrees!

There is no such thing as doing drugs responsibly!!! Using drugs is an irresponsible selfish act in itself. There's no way to do something irresponsible, responsibly!

Why don't you teach your children if they are going to murder someone, to do so responsibily? Yea, that sounds just as ridiculous.
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM

You would think if someone is addicted they would do whatever it takes to get more pills???  

Quoting Anonymous:

I read that. She said that she stopped using it when it ran out and didn't go out to seek more. I wouldn't consider that addiction.

Quoting Anonymous:

She deleted it right after admitting she got addicted to Vicodin.

heartnhidin
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I completely agree. My mom says its a disease, which I think is bull. You chose to do such and such drug, someone with cancer did not choose to get cancer.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

No... I think addiction is choice and  dependence  is a medical call for help!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Yeah. An addict needs that next fix (its not really a need, but more like an extreme want), and they try and get it any way they can. The chick never said she was an addict. The way I read it, she had to have 2 surgeries and because of pain, she was on vicodin for a while, and when the prescription ran out, she went through some withdrawal, but never tried to seek out more vicodin. Addiction is actively going out and getting more of the drug you want. I wouldn't consider that woman an addict.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

You would think if someone is addicted they would do whatever it takes to get more pills???  

Quoting Anonymous:

I read that. She said that she stopped using it when it ran out and didn't go out to seek more. I wouldn't consider that addiction.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Drugs are completely different from murder.

Like alcohol. There is a way to drink responsibly. Like, not drinking and driving, or doing drugs and driving

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh for fucks sake!! This sounds even more ignorant and stupid when someone agrees!

There is no such thing as doing drugs responsibly!!! Using drugs is an irresponsible selfish act in itself. There's no way to do something irresponsible, responsibly!

Why don't you teach your children if they are going to murder someone, to do so responsibily? Yea, that sounds just as ridiculous.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Withdrawal from meds is normal.....  that actually happens with a lot of diff meds not just narcotics.  I say that through experience.  I actually feel for the OP of that post -- but I missed the post.  I had back surgery in July last year and need 2 more.  I've been on narcotics over a year now and as it is it appears i'll be taking them for awhile.  Infact just started pain management.  Right now I take a mixture of vicoden, percocet and dilaudid.  Percocet is the only one of the three that takes the edge off enough that I can function.  Pretty sure that OP is not addicted either.  I do not consider myself addicted BUT I do have that fear which is why I only take when I can't stand it anymore.  I pretty much stay at an 8 all the time.  If it wasn't for the meds though i'd be a 10!  I just recently started taking lyrica and it seems to be helping too...  Bless her heart though... I wish i had been there to reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. An addict needs that next fix (its not really a need, but more like an extreme want), and they try and get it any way they can. The chick never said she was an addict. The way I read it, she had to have 2 surgeries and because of pain, she was on vicodin for a while, and when the prescription ran out, she went through some withdrawal, but never tried to seek out more vicodin. Addiction is actively going out and getting more of the drug you want. I wouldn't consider that woman an addict.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Damn, I guess I shouldn't have chosen to be hit by that truck when the driver fell asleep on the interstate. I'll know better next time! lol

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Addiction is a consequence of bad choices. Plain and simple.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

IMO it is a choice because they chose to do those drugs knowing that they are addictive and the harm they cause. just like I have no sympathy for smokers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured