Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it weird that I agree, that addiction is a choice....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The other poster was either poofed or she deleted it herself. ( I don't agree that addiction is a choice, I just wanted it to be known what post I am discussing)

She made some good points. Simply teaching your children to just say no, isn't enough. You should teach them about being responsible with drugs, if they do end up going out and doing drugs.

Now, I am by no means going to give drugs to my kids, or tell them its okay, because its not okay to abuse drugs, but if they do, do drugs, to use them responsibly, and to be safe about it. You can't protect them from everything, but you can arm them with knowledge at least.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
x2monstersx
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I agree that we should tell our chilren more than just 'no' but I will never tell my kids how to be responisble for it.  'OK honey, if you see someone snorting coke at a party, just do a small line.'  I will educate them, what it does and the severe consequences to their health and trust with us it will cause.

DlovesM
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Addiction isn't just about drugs. Anything can turn into an addicted behavior. Some people are hard wired with "addictive personalities" and can't help but feel the need to repeat behaviors whether it be keeping your eyebrows perfectly tweezed to always having coffee in the morning. Anything that someone doesn't like to stop doing is in a way addicted to it. 

And yes, I will arm my kids with knowledge. Drugs are glorified in youth and I will want them to know everything there is about drugs so they can make a choice. When something goes bad, they'll face the consequences. I know me telling them to just so no is not always enough.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM

What kind of drugs are you referring to??  Can this be said for pain meds??  I mean...  that is if the person is using it the way it was intended to be used - by their doctor. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

IMO it is a choice because they chose to do those drugs knowing that they are addictive and the harm they cause. just like I have no sympathy for smokers.

DlovesM
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You could educate them on how easy it is to overdose that way your not encouraging it but they know that if they are set in trying it that they won't try to much. 

Honestly my real fear of my kids using drugs is them using to much and something bad happening to them. 

Quoting x2monstersx:

I agree that we should tell our chilren more than just 'no' but I will never tell my kids how to be responisble for it.  'OK honey, if you see someone snorting coke at a party, just do a small line.'  I will educate them, what it does and the severe consequences to their health and trust with us it will cause.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

No I can understand that. I mean things like heroin, crack, cocaine, meth, etc.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

What kind of drugs are you referring to??  Can this be said for pain meds??  I mean...  that is if the person is using it the way it was intended to be used - by their doctor. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

IMO it is a choice because they chose to do those drugs knowing that they are addictive and the harm they cause. just like I have no sympathy for smokers.

xtina8817
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your post.
For the ppl who believe addiction is a choice have it easy. And there are plenary of people who CAN use every day or close to it and not be addicted. However, scientists and doctors have done brains scans that prove otherwise. The "addictive personality" does not exist but the addictive brain does. Certain people are just born that way. On one brain scan they took a man who was a coke addict for 20 yrs, had been clean for 15yrs, stuck him in front of a TV and showed him so pictures of nature and mountains. Nothing lit up on the scan. They showed the same man a 2 minute video of someone else snorting coke and his pleasure center in his brain lit up like the 4th of July and STAYED lit up for quite a while. Some brains - once they've experienced that drug, alcohol, whatever, can't let go. That's why alcoholics are alcoholics forever.

Are there situations where people use it as a crutch? Hell yes. I think addict is a term that's overused. But don't underestimate the power of addiction and dependency for those that truly have it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I must have missed that post entirely but I do believe addiction is a choice. I should know I've been there and had a hell of a time getting clean without any rehab or other support. Unless someone gives you something and gets you high against your will doing drugs is a choice. Becoming addicted is more of a side effect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I was taught that drugs were dangerous. I will not encourage my children to do drugs in a "safe" way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, of course teach your kids to just say no, but if thats ALL you're teaching them, you aren't giving them a good chance. You need to teach them what drugs do, how they effect your body. I was taught to just say no, but never did anyone say why drugs were bad.

And yes, there is a right way to do drugs. Deny if you must, but there is a correct way to use drugs. Drugs can be fun, but they can also be very dangerous

Quoting Anonymous:

I will not teach my children there is a safe way to do drugs because there isn't. The best way to Void getting addicted is to not ever do drug. I had to many friends that started doing drugs as teens.one that started in 5th grade. It has screwed up their lives. I will teach my kids to just say no. Its really not that had to say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I was taught that drugs were dangerous. I will not encourage my children to do drugs in a "safe" way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, of course teach your kids to just say no, but if thats ALL you're teaching them, you aren't giving them a good chance. You need to teach them what drugs do, how they effect your body. I was taught to just say no, but never did anyone say why drugs were bad.

And yes, there is a right way to do drugs. Deny if you must, but there is a correct way to use drugs. Drugs can be fun, but they can also be very dangerous

Quoting Anonymous:

I will not teach my children there is a safe way to do drugs because there isn't. The best way to Void getting addicted is to not ever do drug. I had to many friends that started doing drugs as teens.one that started in 5th grade. It has screwed up their lives. I will teach my kids to just say no. Its really not that had to say.

autummayline
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Just because you take pain pills and are on pain management, doesn't make you an addict. If your taking your meds responsibly, then good for you! There are situations in life when it is almost impossible to function in life without the help of pain medication. And, just because someone 'withdrawals' from a medication, doesn't make them an addict either, your body naturally becomes dependent when you take medication for long periods of time.

Addictions is where you start taking the medication to 'escape', or to get high.. not just to function and get through the day, if you take the medicine as perscribed then your fine. Its so easy to take that extra one, just to feel good or relax.. people don't realize how easy it is to become addicted. Its definately not something to mess around with, thats why with medication we have to be extra careful and watch how many we take and how often we take.

I applaud you for being so careful with medication

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Withdrawal from meds is normal.....  that actually happens with a lot of diff meds not just narcotics.  I say that through experience.  I actually feel for the OP of that post -- but I missed the post.  I had back surgery in July last year and need 2 more.  I've been on narcotics over a year now and as it is it appears i'll be taking them for awhile.  Infact just started pain management.  Right now I take a mixture of vicoden, percocet and dilaudid.  Percocet is the only one of the three that takes the edge off enough that I can function.  Pretty sure that OP is not addicted either.  I do not consider myself addicted BUT I do have that fear which is why I only take when I can't stand it anymore.  I pretty much stay at an 8 all the time.  If it wasn't for the meds though i'd be a 10!  I just recently started taking lyrica and it seems to be helping too...  Bless her heart though... I wish i had been there to reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. An addict needs that next fix (its not really a need, but more like an extreme want), and they try and get it any way they can. The chick never said she was an addict. The way I read it, she had to have 2 surgeries and because of pain, she was on vicodin for a while, and when the prescription ran out, she went through some withdrawal, but never tried to seek out more vicodin. Addiction is actively going out and getting more of the drug you want. I wouldn't consider that woman an addict.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

You would think if someone is addicted they would do whatever it takes to get more pills???  

Quoting Anonymous:

I read that. She said that she stopped using it when it ran out and didn't go out to seek more. I wouldn't consider that addiction.

Quoting Anonymous:

She deleted it right after admitting she got addicted to Vicodin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)