Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it weird that I agree, that addiction is a choice....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The other poster was either poofed or she deleted it herself. ( I don't agree that addiction is a choice, I just wanted it to be known what post I am discussing)

She made some good points. Simply teaching your children to just say no, isn't enough. You should teach them about being responsible with drugs, if they do end up going out and doing drugs.

Now, I am by no means going to give drugs to my kids, or tell them its okay, because its not okay to abuse drugs, but if they do, do drugs, to use them responsibly, and to be safe about it. You can't protect them from everything, but you can arm them with knowledge at least.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I'll go ahead and be the dissenter in the turn this post is taking. I didn't see the original post OP was referring to. But, as far as people saying there is no way to use drugs responsibly, that isn't entirely true in my opinion. Many people will experiment. Maybe kids, even after drug education and being taught to "just say no", will still have the opportunity as desire to try something, even "just this once". I intend to teach my children there is a difference in the types of illegal drugs out there. Trying meth is not the same as trying marijuana. Of course I don't want my kids to take any drugs, ever but I believe they should know that the addictive potential and dangers of prescription pills, methamphetamines, cocaine and heroin are simply a different ballpark than smoking a little weed. And don't throw gateway drug at me, that's rarely true anymore. Even the law is beginning to recognize that marijuana is a different tier than hard drugs, you can see that by the fact that some states have passed legislation in favor of marijuana for recreational use and there are more to follow.

I simply think children should know that if you smoke meth, your life is likely to be ruined. If you smoke weed, it's not a death sentence. Now, I do realize that trying to explain this in a way that won't encourage the kid to smoke week will be a fine line. But it's still an important lesson. And I know not everyone will agree, because it all comes down to your personal opinion on MJ.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elliotmommytobe
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
So people take drugs or smoking weed is irresponsible

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh for fucks sake!! This sounds even more ignorant and stupid when someone agrees!

There is no such thing as doing drugs responsibly!!! Using drugs is an irresponsible selfish act in itself. There's no way to do something irresponsible, responsibly!

Why don't you teach your children if they are going to murder someone, to do so responsibily? Yea, that sounds just as ridiculous.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I have been sober for almost 5 yrs.

I will talk and educate my children about sex, drugs, and alcohol. But I will be damned to tell them there is a safe way to do drugs.

This is coming from my daughter's 18 yr old boyfriend. How stupid does someone have to be to believe there is a safe way to do drugs.

This if from my 16yr old daughter. If someone believes they can teach their children to safely use drugs must be a cracked out white herself.

If you use honesty with children and help guide them away from bad decisions they are smart enough to stay away from it on their own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I don't think addiction is a choice. Do some people make poor choices that lead to their addiction, sure. But there are no warning labels on everything that it may cause addition and there's no saying when a person can become addicted to something. Its all psychological. Yes, children should be taught to be responsible over anything whether its meds prescribed by a Dr, OTC, or moderation. But ultimately, this isn't a guarantee.
kdizzlej
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been dealing with chronic pain and been on pain medication for a while. I only take it when I absolutely need it and even then I'm still in pain. But I know of people who take narcotics recreationally, which is scary. 

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Withdrawal from meds is normal.....  that actually happens with a lot of diff meds not just narcotics.  I say that through experience.  I actually feel for the OP of that post -- but I missed the post.  I had back surgery in July last year and need 2 more.  I've been on narcotics over a year now and as it is it appears i'll be taking them for awhile.  Infact just started pain management.  Right now I take a mixture of vicoden, percocet and dilaudid.  Percocet is the only one of the three that takes the edge off enough that I can function.  Pretty sure that OP is not addicted either.  I do not consider myself addicted BUT I do have that fear which is why I only take when I can't stand it anymore.  I pretty much stay at an 8 all the time.  If it wasn't for the meds though i'd be a 10!  I just recently started taking lyrica and it seems to be helping too...  Bless her heart though... I wish i had been there to reply!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. An addict needs that next fix (its not really a need, but more like an extreme want), and they try and get it any way they can. The chick never said she was an addict. The way I read it, she had to have 2 surgeries and because of pain, she was on vicodin for a while, and when the prescription ran out, she went through some withdrawal, but never tried to seek out more vicodin. Addiction is actively going out and getting more of the drug you want. I wouldn't consider that woman an addict.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

You would think if someone is addicted they would do whatever it takes to get more pills???  

Quoting Anonymous:

I read that. She said that she stopped using it when it ran out and didn't go out to seek more. I wouldn't consider that addiction.

Quoting Anonymous:

She deleted it right after admitting she got addicted to Vicodin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I'm not attacking you, I just want to say that first off. Second congratulations on your sobriety.

Ok, so you do know a lot if things are classified as drugs right? Some people do not automatically start thinking of all the illegal drugs when that little word is used, others mayeven broaden that to include prescribed nnarcodics and some can even expand that further. I mean caffeine is a drug for heaven's sake, lol. So I don't think its reaching to discuss drug safety. My dd was prescribed a cough med with codine in it. You can bet I made clear she knew how to take it safely and monitored her taking it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will talk and educate my children about sex, drugs, and alcohol. But I will be damned to tell them there is a safe way to do drugs.

This is coming from my daughter's 18 yr old boyfriend. How stupid does someone have to be to believe there is a safe way to do drugs.

This if from my 16yr old daughter. If someone believes they can teach their children to safely use drugs must be a cracked out white herself.

If you use honesty with children and help guide them away from bad decisions they are smart enough to stay away from it on their own.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

addiction is a choice choices you made lead to addictions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Yes OTC and prescribed drugs need to be taught how to properly take it.

But I will be damned to ever say there is a safe way to take cocaine, heroin, PCP, Meth, pot, X, acid, or anything else like that. There is no way to take it properly period.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not attacking you, I just want to say that first off. Second congratulations on your sobriety.

Ok, so you do know a lot if things are classified as drugs right? Some people do not automatically start thinking of all the illegal drugs when that little word is used, others mayeven broaden that to include prescribed nnarcodics and some can even expand that further. I mean caffeine is a drug for heaven's sake, lol. So I don't think its reaching to discuss drug safety. My dd was prescribed a cough med with codine in it. You can bet I made clear she knew how to take it safely and monitored her taking it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Except for the pot, I agree over the illegal drugs. But then pot's not illegal here, at least not for medical use.

My thing is, there are a lot of things a person can become addicted to and no telling how quickly if they have an addictive personality. Because I have a 2 close family members who have been dx my automatic thought over addiction isnt illegal drugs or even alcohol. So, for me, since im not fully convenced its not genetic, i try to teach my children to be safe over all meds, vitamins, etc and moderation other things. It goes without saying, safety and moderation aren't taught over illegal drugs, but other things.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes OTC and prescribed drugs need to be taught how to properly take it.

But I will be damned to ever say there is a safe way to take cocaine, heroin, PCP, Meth, pot, X, acid, or anything else like that. There is no way to take it properly period.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I work in the recovery field. Doing drugs is a choice being addicted is not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured