Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it weird that I agree, that addiction is a choice....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The other poster was either poofed or she deleted it herself. ( I don't agree that addiction is a choice, I just wanted it to be known what post I am discussing)

She made some good points. Simply teaching your children to just say no, isn't enough. You should teach them about being responsible with drugs, if they do end up going out and doing drugs.

Now, I am by no means going to give drugs to my kids, or tell them its okay, because its not okay to abuse drugs, but if they do, do drugs, to use them responsibly, and to be safe about it. You can't protect them from everything, but you can arm them with knowledge at least.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (41-44):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Oh no!! One of the extremely rare times I disagree with you:(

Quoting thetrollcat:

addiction is a choice choices you made lead to addictions.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

You have a choice to feed into your addiction or remain sober. If that wasnt a choice then no one would ever have the ability to get sober.

Addiction is a choice, whether you feed it or fight to stay sober.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM
But that is a choice after a person realizes there's a problem, after the addiction already exists. Whether the person is fighting or not it doesn't change the fact that she/he has an addiction. Just about anything can be an addiction for a person with an addictive personality, and on the other side not all people who have a glass of wine become addicted. Most cases addiction isn't the choice, its whether you let it control you or not that's the choice. Are there some things out there that are known to be highly addicting, sure, do some people choose to take the risk, obviously. But those cases are very small in the scope of addiction.

Quoting thetrollcat:

You have a choice to feed into your addiction or remain sober. If that wasnt a choice then no one would ever have the ability to get sober.

Addiction is a choice, whether you feed it or fight to stay sober.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My husband is a recovering alcoholic. He has been sober for 12 yrs.

One thing about us is we talk to our children about all dangers all the time. We know that it could happen to them but we will do everything to lead them in the right direction and will not apologize for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Except for the pot, I agree over the illegal drugs. But then pot's not illegal here, at least not for medical use.

My thing is, there are a lot of things a person can become addicted to and no telling how quickly if they have an addictive personality. Because I have a 2 close family members who have been dx my automatic thought over addiction isnt illegal drugs or even alcohol. So, for me, since im not fully convenced its not genetic, i try to teach my children to be safe over all meds, vitamins, etc and moderation other things. It goes without saying, safety and moderation aren't taught over illegal drugs, but other things.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes OTC and prescribed drugs need to be taught how to properly take it.

But I will be damned to ever say there is a safe way to take cocaine, heroin, PCP, Meth, pot, X, acid, or anything else like that. There is no way to take it properly period.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not attacking you, I just want to say that first off. Second congratulations on your sobriety.

Ok, so you do know a lot if things are classified as drugs right? Some people do not automatically start thinking of all the illegal drugs when that little word is used, others mayeven broaden that to include prescribed nnarcodics and some can even expand that further. I mean caffeine is a drug for heaven's sake, lol. So I don't think its reaching to discuss drug safety. My dd was prescribed a cough med with codine in it. You can bet I made clear she knew how to take it safely and monitored her taking it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have been sober for almost 5 yrs.

I will talk and educate my children about sex, drugs, and alcohol. But I will be damned to tell them there is a safe way to do drugs.

This is coming from my daughter's 18 yr old boyfriend. How stupid does someone have to be to believe there is a safe way to do drugs.

This if from my 16yr old daughter. If someone believes they can teach their children to safely use drugs must be a cracked out white herself.

If you use honesty with children and help guide them away from bad decisions they are smart enough to stay away from it on their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN