Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

health insurance....do you have it?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you insured?

Options:

Yes

No

Other (Explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 298

View Results

Are you covered by medical insurance?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM

We have fantastic medical care. It's just having to access which is shameful.

I volunteer for Remote Area Medical. It was designed to be used to give health care to third world countries. The majority of RAM is used here in the U.S. It's shameful.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, courtesy of Canada's universal health care system. All of my life. We also have extended health for everything else, including dental, vision, hearing, physio, prescriptions... We love our system. LOVE. it. Even more after joining this forum and hearing how many people do not have access to health care. Shameful. And to think Americans say they have the best health care in the world. Hah. Not very good if you can't access it...

hollyandjason
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
This

Quoting km1970:

medical, dental and vision

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We like individual Americans - I have some phenomenal American friends, but there are things we will just never understand. Seriously. We do not have to worry about losing our home if someone in our family gets sick. I know doctors here from other countries who would never practice in the U.S. because morally and ethically they are opposed to user-pay systems. Health care should not be For Profit. It should not be capitalist driven. It is a social and public service that EVERYONE needs access to. It is absolutely unethical and immoral, IMO, that one of the wealthiest countries in the world (and, yes, you still are, and your gap between rich and poor continues to grow) does not provide universal health care. We just don't get why Americans are so opposed to it. I think it's because you don't understand it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I made a friend that is in Canada.  She came to my town for her work once and we went to dinner, the topic of American health care came up and she was shocked by what I told her.  She couldn't imagine living here and dealing with our system.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, courtesy of Canada's universal health care system. All of my life. We also have extended health for everything else, including dental, vision, hearing, physio, prescriptions... We love our system. LOVE. it. Even more after joining this forum and hearing how many people do not have access to health care. Shameful. And to think Americans say they have the best health care in the world. Hah. Not very good if you can't access it...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
What happens if trip and break your arm?

Quoting Anonymous:

I've got dental.

My husband and children have medical and dental.

For me to get insured through his job would be a additional 300$ a month towards what we pay for the children now. I could pay the 300$, but then I wouldn't be able to pay for so much as a co-pay for anyone, if they needed to actually go to the doctor.

I've never used the ER for myself. I pay out of pocket cash(and it's way cheaper than insurance)if I need to see the doctor.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I think in my entire life I've been uninsured for maybe 3 months in between marriages. LOL!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

We will be again come payday.

lenoxclan
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I'd then make the  trip home, so I could get a cast put on for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

What happens if trip and break your arm?

Quoting Anonymous:

I've got dental.

My husband and children have medical and dental.

For me to get insured through his job would be a additional 300$ a month towards what we pay for the children now. I could pay the 300$, but then I wouldn't be able to pay for so much as a co-pay for anyone, if they needed to actually go to the doctor.

I've never used the ER for myself. I pay out of pocket cash(and it's way cheaper than insurance)if I need to see the doctor.

save the date

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I seem to like and get along very well with Canadians myself.  I like the attitudes of the ones I have met!   I also agree with you, the majority of us here don't understand the system there.  I think it would be better for us than what we have now.  My friend was shocked that we don't have the access to college that is available in Canada either.  I had no knowledge of that before she told me. It made me wish I was Canadian even more that I did before.

Quoting Anonymous:

We like individual Americans - I have some phenomenal American friends, but there are things we will just never understand. Seriously. We do not have to worry about losing our home if someone in our family gets sick. I know doctors here from other countries who would never practice in the U.S. because morally and ethically they are opposed to user-pay systems. Health care should not be For Profit. It should not be capitalist driven. It is a social and public service that EVERYONE needs access to. It is absolutely unethical and immoral, IMO, that one of the wealthiest countries in the world (and, yes, you still are, and your gap between rich and poor continues to grow) does not provide universal health care. We just don't get why Americans are so opposed to it. I think it's because you don't understand it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I made a friend that is in Canada.  She came to my town for her work once and we went to dinner, the topic of American health care came up and she was shocked by what I told her.  She couldn't imagine living here and dealing with our system.

Quoting Anonymous:

fairyjester
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

right now its crappy  but it sounds like i will be getting better one very very soon

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yes....fully covered

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)