Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

any one leave out in the middle of no where?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
We are buying land I homeschool our kids. My husband wants to live off the grid. Solar wind, gardens,live stock. We have a daughter with a skin condition called a nevus that can get cancer it has to be monitored once a year. And I want to live close to town so once in awhile the kids can interacts with other kids. This annoys my husband because he thinks the kids don't need interaction does any one live with there kids cut off from society?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ccoyle4
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I live in the middle of no where. 16miles to a small town. I live in the middle of Hoosier national forest. My son still interacts with children (even on days he's not in preschool). I go to town either Friday or Saturday when I'm off and hang around in town at my grandmas.

We have our Owen chickens, rabbits, and he's looking for another calf since we are finally starting to run low on beef. We will grow a garden. Last year we moved when we should have been planting....so we swiped fruits/veggies from my fil
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM

No, but I wish I did.

miss_lisa
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
We considered it but dd does taekwondo 3 nights a week and the school has no bus system so it wouldn't be worth it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ripemango
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM

WE HS.

I don't see why your DH would think such would be advantageous to your children.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I don't get it either. I think of the grid living excites him but not realistic with kids.

Quoting ripemango:

WE HS.

I don't see why your DH would think such would be advantageous to your children.

ripemango
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I feel like there is much to be said about knowing and learning how to completely take care of yourself. We love that our lil girl is active in the family's garden, knows when you plant&pick, how to harvest and process fruits and veggies, etc.

However, to deny them interaction w other children doesn't seem right. Humans are social creatures; we actually rely on others outside of our family. That doctor you mentioned is some1 upon whom you rely.

Quoting Anonymous:

. I don't get it either. I think of the grid living excites him but not realistic with kids.

Quoting ripemango:

WE HS.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I don't mean not realistic as far as work and life style I mean cutting them off from society.

Quoting ripemango:

I feel like there is much to be said about knowing and learning how to completely take care of yourself. We love that our lil girl is active in the family's garden, knows when you plant&pick, how to harvest and process fruits and veggies, etc.

However, to deny them interaction w other children doesn't seem right. Humans are social creatures; we actually rely on others outside of our family. That doctor you mentioned is some1 upon whom you rely.

Quoting Anonymous:

. I don't get it either. I think of the grid living excites him but not realistic with kids.

Quoting ripemango:

WE HS.

Cochise
by Dawn on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I used to...  raised three of my children out in no mans land ..was like I was Mrs Walton ..but my children went to public school. They all had a lot of friends .. lots of sleep overs too.

Val99
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I had a friend (i was his only friend) that lived "off the grid".  His family would constantly be going without electricity because they would have a cloudy windless day and the batteries would drain.   They couldn't get deliveries because FedEx and UPS wouldn't go to their house.  They'd have to drive to town to pick up a package.

Finally, the friendship became too strained to continue due to all the "problems" in his life caused by his own lifestyle choice.  I haven't spoken to him in a few years.

Where I live it's about 20-30 minuts to get to a store, and about 25 miles to get to a town.  We are within an hour drive of both Baltimore and DC.  I like it since we have the best of both worlds.

Mandahoney
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I wish we could live off the grid.  Although we live in a town of 300 in iowa.  We kind of live in the middle of no where because we have to drive 15 minutes one way for the nearest city (5000 ppl) or 30 minutes one way for a big city (250,000).  As much as I would love to live "off the grid"....I still want my children to interact with others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)