Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you sew?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 30 Replies

I am so excited. We have a wedding to go to the 23rd of March. I was thinking about buying a new dress since we don't go out that much with out ds. Let alone anywhere semi formal. I seen a dress I really wanted but it was $176. No way will I spend that much on a dress I would only wear a few times.

So I decided to make one. Why not I used to make my clothes when I was 18. I really enjoyed it and was really good at it.

So I was looking for a dress that was similar to the one I was going to buy. Found a dress pattern on eBay for $10. Vogue vintage 1952 design. Just got it in the mail and so excited for Monday to get my 1935 Singer table sewing machine from my FIL.

Dh is going to help me. All the men in that side of the family can sew, but none of the females can. Strange. Can you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm learning :)

That dress is going to be great!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I can sew buttons back onto clothes......does that count??

I love that dress. What color have you decided on??

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yes, I took Home Ec every year in jr high & high school. I used to make a lot of my kids clothes and mine too. I don't sew very much anymore. It doesn't save money any more and it makes my back hurt. Plus i'd rather knit.

Momyplease
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
my sister is a seamstress. she has fun doing it. I think that is a nice design if you have the models shape and nice arms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I used to make purses in high school (sewn by hand). My ex husband even bought me a seeing machine to make life easier for me but I just don't have the patience. He can actually sew! Lol.
xboybrksgrlx
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I tried teaching myself to knit. Failed. Took wayyy to long.

Quoting wooly:

Yes, I took Home Ec every year in jr high & high school. I used to make a lot of my kids clothes and mine too. I don't sew very much anymore. It doesn't save money any more and it makes my back hurt. Plus i'd rather knit.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

It's actually faster to crochet but it's heavier and takes more yarn. i do both and i enjoy them both, but they have different uses for me.

Quoting xboybrksgrlx:

I tried teaching myself to knit. Failed. Took wayyy to long.

Quoting wooly:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I love that dress pattern!  

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM
I would not be able to make a dress. Yes I can sew simple stuff but an entire dress would be a huge no for me lol. My mom is very talented though. She made my husband a fleece sweater for Christmas. Its double sided so he can wear both patterns. He was thrilled to have gotten it. Best Christmas present he has ever had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I take my clothes to be altered and my husband sews on buttons for me.  I'm all thumbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)