Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You tube without consent

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son wants to be a YouTube star at 7 years old. He convinced a "teacher in training", who was doing a rotation through his university in my son's 2nd grade class, to post my son on YouT talking innocently about a popular video game. My son came home and we were able to pull the video up and see him doing his monologue in his class. I wasn't irate, but eventually mentioned to an administrator they should speak with the young man that in this age one needs to understand boundaries. The school took the issue really seriously, banned the guy from the property, and also passed word on to his school and he was dropped from the program. I'm wondering where people stand on the issue about their children popping up on media sites without their knowledge, or if one wants a recital put up do you need consent from all the parents? This sitn is a little different than a staged performance, but what is the appropriate response?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pudgepocalypse
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Ugh. The school did the right thing, and there's good reason for kids to not be on YouTube.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Bubble wrap, get your bubble wrap. 

$5 a roll...

girlywifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I think that you ruined his career :(

bi-polarmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

i think you handeled it properly, but the school didn't

PinkArzora
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Honestly I've graduated from nursing school and made my share of errors, had my write-ups and such. I learned from my mistakes, and understand in that profession how critical it is to be on top of your discipline, but also feel students need to go through that process and learn and move on. I didn't get a creepy or "pervy" vibe from the man, just that he was young and trying to make a kid happy. He's from a generation who thinks nothing of throwing themselves up on media outlets for the most inane thing. *Sigh* I did call the university and advocated that I felt they went too far and as the parent I was never that upset. They had a "what's done is done" attitude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)