Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone have a prescription for marijuana for depression/anxiety?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Does it help you? I've struggled with anxiety my whole life, & depression for the past 5 years. Antidepressants seem to only work for a while before losing effectiveness, & Zoloft is the only one that actually works WELL. I do yoga, watch what I eat, journal, etc., but I still struggle, especially in fall/winter.

I don't live in a state where it's legal, but I've read some studies saying it has good effects for depression, & few or no negative side effects compared to traditional meds. So, does it help? How hard was it to get the prescription? Is it expensive? Do people know you use it? Basically, I'm interested, so please share your story.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (11-17):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM
It won't help anyone if they abuse it. It is still a drug.

Quoting idee:

My cousin has no depression and is always smoking marijauna. He has no prescription but he does it anyways. He also gets really depressed during his highs. When he is not using he is really cool, and more energetic.

TurboMom81
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM
It worked for me back when I was self medicating myself in my early 20'a. Now I take kava kava
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you live in a Northern climate where you get less direct and less overall sunlight in the fall and winter?  If you do then you might have better luck taking a supplement of Vitamin D-3 at least 1,000 units.  

This. I have found that marijuana makes my anxiety much worse. I do a super dose of vit d and a supplement called 5htp and both together work great!

elliotmommytobe
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:11 AM
It does but I dont do it often so I just tough it out

Quoting Anonymous:

& it does help you? I'm sorry you've got so much going on, yikes!

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

I qualify for a number of reasons but don't have the money to get my card at the moment. so I just do it without the card when i feel the need. I have depression, anxiety, scoliosis, arthritis, degenrative jaw disorder fibromyalgia and more qualifications.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM
If you already have depression it's very important to talk to your doctor before using. It can actually make some mental disorders worse like bipolar and schizophrenia. I'm not sure what else as I'm not a doctor. I also wouldn't mix it with other drugs because then you are just going to be wasted.

I smoke in the morning. Occasionally in the afternoon and at night. I don't have a prescription, I have only done my own research. (I did not ask my doctor but i don't recommend that lol) I have anxiety. If you smoke too much it will increase your anxiety and you will become paranoid, especially if you have never or very rarely smoke. I just take a couple hits to be level. I don't feel high I just feel peaceful and relaxed. It doesn't make me tired or hungry because I don't get baked.

I have tried Xanax and Prozac for my anxiety and had negative side affects so I stopped.

It is a slippery slope though and I would say anyone prone to addiction or with very little self control should not smoke.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don't think we can get prescriptions for it in this state but here is a bump. 

Have you tried sitting in a tanning bed for a few minutes with good sunscreen in the fall/winter? I noticed it makes a huge difference. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I told my friend she should try MJ for her depression and anxiety. I'd much rather do that than a bunch of prescriptions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)