Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Favorite and least favorite dog breeds... top and bottom 5.

Posted by   + Show Post

Favorites:

1. Doberman
  2. Neapolitan Mastiff (not over done wrinkly though)
  3. Giant Schnauzer
  4. Cane Corso
  5. Beauceron

LEAST:

1. Pug
  2. Probably anything under 20lbs
  3. Labs and Goldens (just too boring)
  4. Siberian Huskies
  5. Most Spaniels

Mutts are always great too :) And there are lots of breeds that I like but just aren't "my thing" so I wouldn't probably own one, like Rotts, Pits, German Shepherds (fur and whiny), etc... cool dogs but just don't feel the need to have one.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (201-207):
MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I have a shiba. He's a great family dog. 

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Dislike : Almost any dog under about 30lbs,with an extra dislike for chihuahuas or anything "teacup" sized

Favorites : Huskies, German shepherds, labs, or almost any large breed mix. My one exception to the size rule is a shiba inu, they may be on the small side, but are highly intelligent, and most I've seen don't have the little dog yippy, nippy syndrome that most small dogs I've met seem to suffer.

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

They're boring to me bacuse every other house in the country seems to have one, and they're also very plain looking IMO.

Quoting AllieReed:

I adore my yellow lab & she is hardly boring :-)

AllieReed
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

They are everywhere. Well, I love my plain looking dog. She's smart with amazing manners & she's great with the kids. To each their own :-)

Quoting Blueliner:

They're boring to me bacuse every other house in the country seems to have one, and they're also very plain looking IMO.

Quoting AllieReed:

I adore my yellow lab & she is hardly boring :-)

pitbull4me
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM

yes, they can be.I have 2 snoring on the floor right now!I have had Filas since 1994. a true Fila does NOT eat people,a true Fila with correct temperament and sound mind knows when to warn and when to protect.
it is my responsibility to protect my dogs and to not put them in situations where they can get in to trouble.my girls are correct and live in the city with me and my family.now they do get put up when my kids friends come over or we have visitors that they have not been around their whole lives.I would never recommend them as a breed for most dog owners.

Filas are cool dogs but if it has a true Fila temperament then it can be VERY dangerous in the wrong situation. I'd personally never have one in an urban or suburban setting, I'd personally never have one period, great with family but no amount of socializing would keep one with the true temperament from wanting to eat any and all non family lol. 

Quoting pitbull4me:

curious,what is your reason behind the Fila?

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

Favourites:

1.) Caucasian Mountain Dog
2.) Peruvian Inca Orchid
3.) Pyrenean Mountain Dog
4.) Boerboel 
5.) Swiss Mountain Dog

Least Favourite:

1.) 
Shar Pei
2.) Labs
3.) Barbet
4.) 
Fila Brasiliero
5.) Beagle  

"People don't have a pit bull problem, pit bulls have a people problem."

First they came for the Pit Bulls
and they banned them and killed them
their owners cried out in horror but I did not object
because I did not own pit bulls.

Then they came for the Rottweilers
and they banned them and muzzled them
their owners cried out in protest but I did not object
because I did not own Rottweilers.
Today they have come for my dogs
and they will ban them and take them from me
as I cry out in outrage and anger no one objects
because they do not own my dogs.

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Guess there's differing opinions out there on true Fila temp. From a lot of what I've read on Mastiff forums a Fila with the correct temperament will NEVER accept a stranger. Which is just too big a liability for me, I like dogs, that like you said have a "sound mind and knows when to warn an when to protect" Which is what I've gotten out of Dobes :) 

I've only met one Fila before, so most of what I've read about them has been on this forum: http://www.mastiff-forum.com/showthread.php/3997-Fila-Brasileiro and here http://www.mastiff-forum.com/forumdisplay.php/28-Fila-Brasileiro 

Quoting pitbull4me:

yes, they can be.I have 2 snoring on the floor right now!I have had Filas since 1994. a true Fila does NOT eat people,a true Fila with correct temperament and sound mind knows when to warn and when to protect.
it is my responsibility to protect my dogs and to not put them in situations where they can get in to trouble.my girls are correct and live in the city with me and my family.now they do get put up when my kids friends come over or we have visitors that they have not been around their whole lives.I would never recommend them as a breed for most dog owners.

Filas are cool dogs but if it has a true Fila temperament then it can be VERY dangerous in the wrong situation. I'd personally never have one in an urban or suburban setting, I'd personally never have one period, great with family but no amount of socializing would keep one with the true temperament from wanting to eat any and all non family lol. 

Quoting pitbull4me:

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

Favourites:

2.) Peruvian Inca Orchid
4.) Boerboel 
5.) Swiss Mountain Dog

Least Favourite:

1.) 
Shar Pei
2.) Labs
3.) Barbet
4.) 
Fila Brasiliero
5.) Beagle  

Antonia464
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I don't have a favorite. I've owned a Pyrenees, American Staffordshire Terrier, and labs. I've liked all of them. I'm not a big fan of smaller dogs (15 pounds and under), but it's less about their size and more about the fact they are not cut out for long walks and hiking; which is something I thoroughly enjoy doing.

pitbull4me
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a member of that forum.and yes they do differ.my personal experience after speaking with many owners of FIlas over the years of owning and showing them,alot of the issues come from not having them leave their property and exposing them to the world..from young pups my dogs go everywhere.that does not mean they are touched,they are just exposed to sounds and noises,different smells so that they know what is a threat and what isn't.but, this whole "Filas will eat everything and one" is horrible.my dogs do not tolerate strangers.they will not hurt them with me around,they may nip them as a warning, but still alive. I have a friend that has been around my Filas always and she is afraid of them so they do a low growl at her during her whole visit.as someone who enjoys the temperament of the Fila I think it is quiet funny.my bff also has Filas,so it does make it easier to have company.

my breeder, who has had Filas since the early 80's,shows internationally and imports some of her breeding stock from Brazil,Turkey and France.has the most titled Fila in the world right now and last year imported 2 adults from Brazil that are already international champions, does not have one that I can get near.that is the way they are,but they are not trying to kill me just telling me to get away from their mom.I in no way am stupid enough to think that they wouldn't hurt me,they would,but their mom is not nervous so it stays as a warning. I also am not afraid of them,I respect them and would not push their limits,but not fear.

at a show, all of the Fila owners and handlers stand around talking and the dogs are all laying at our feet.no stress,not trying to go after anyone.all of us know better than to try to touch anyone else's dogs.so the experience is always a positive one.

Quoting Blueliner:

Guess there's differing opinions out there on true Fila temp. From a lot of what I've read on Mastiff forums a Fila with the correct temperament will NEVER accept a stranger. Which is just too big a liability for me, I like dogs, that like you said have a "sound mind and knows when to warn an when to protect" Which is what I've gotten out of Dobes :) 

I've only met one Fila before, so most of what I've read about them has been on this forum: http://www.mastiff-forum.com/showthread.php/3997-Fila-Brasileiro and here http://www.mastiff-forum.com/forumdisplay.php/28-Fila-Brasileiro 

Quoting pitbull4me:

Quoting pitbull4me:

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

Favourites:

2.) Peruvian Inca Orchid
4.) Boerboel 
5.) Swiss Mountain Dog

Least Favourite:

1.) 
Shar Pei
2.) Labs
3.) Barbet
4.) 
Fila Brasiliero
5.) Beagle  

"People don't have a pit bull problem, pit bulls have a people problem."

First they came for the Pit Bulls
and they banned them and killed them
their owners cried out in horror but I did not object
because I did not own pit bulls.

Then they came for the Rottweilers
and they banned them and muzzled them
their owners cried out in protest but I did not object
because I did not own Rottweilers.
Today they have come for my dogs
and they will ban them and take them from me
as I cry out in outrage and anger no one objects
because they do not own my dogs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)