Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure how to fix this my daughter didn't realize she is mixed. ADD ON...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have 2 mixed half black half white baby girls one is 6 and on is 4, I do not talk about race in my home. When the question has come up about skin tone being different. I say everyone has different skin tone, what a silly thing to notice about someone. I mean my 9 year old is super white my 2 year old is tan because my husband is Italian with tan skin.I have fair skin. But we all have a different shade it seems.they never see there family on that side. I just really hate the focus people put on skin tone , like on Facebook there is a picture of a white hand next to a dark hand doing thumbs up and its says like if you are against racism. To me if your against racism you just don't think about the color of someone's skin. But in my effort to teach my children to look at people as individuals I have missed an important step in teaching my daughter who she is. And it started because at school they were learning about Hispanic culture and my 6 year old put on a dress that looked like a Hispanics style costume and goes look mom I look I'm Hispanic. My 9 year old older in and goes no your African American. My 6 year old looked taken back by that. I'm shocked she was surprised.

Add. Some of you ladies are amazing so thank you so much for the advice and support. This post wasn't suppose to be a big deal. Just a moment I wanted to share and get input on.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Simple. Fix it by teaching her about her heritage. I like how you talk about them like their puppies in that first sentence. LOL.
Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is mixed. He looks like a caucasian child but I tell him and consistently reinforce he is "indian". He loves learning about Native History. His favorite story is of Sitting Bull, and learning about all the Aboriginal veterans that fought in WW2, especially Sargent Tommy Prince. :)

Don't beat yourself up over this. Just keep slowly introducing her to her heritage and don't leave any important stuff out. Talk to her about how it is very common now to have mixed children and that "pure" blood is becoming the minority. Hardly anyone I know is FULL French, or German, or Irish. My son is Irish, Scottish, German, Welsch, Inuit, Ojibwe, Mexican and Italian. Yep. If we traced his DNA, all of those and probably more, would show up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
6 moms liked this

You wouldn't have this problem if you had married one person and stayed with him. Then, she could have clearly seen her heritage, shared it with all her siblings, and you could have been proud of it together. Now, she is going to feel "different". It so sad that siblings these days don't share the same parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like puppies. I love how women pick apart everything. Just having one of those oh I handled this wrong situations.

Quoting Anonymous:

Simple. Fix it by teaching her about her heritage. I like how you talk about them like their puppies in that first sentence. LOL.

Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree we are NA, french, Hungarian, black and polish! That is my mix add into that my son is Spanish and German! He is HS and did a family tree on a map of the world and we showed where each person came from and when. Maybe do that?

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

My son is mixed. He looks like a caucasian child but I tell him and consistently reinforce he is "indian". He loves learning about Native History. His favorite story is of Sitting Bull, and learning about all the Aboriginal veterans that fought in WW2, especially Sargent Tommy Prince. :)

Don't beat yourself up over this. Just keep slowly introducing her to her heritage and don't leave any important stuff out. Talk to her about how it is very common now to have mixed children and that "pure" blood is becoming the minority. Hardly anyone I know is FULL French, or German, or Irish. My son is Irish, Scottish, German, Welsch, Inuit, Ojibwe, Mexican and Italian. Yep. If we traced his DNA, all of those and probably more, would show up.

Heatherahh
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I have biracial children and we also don't make a big deal about race, I understand what your saying but it is important to celebrate our children culture, and skin color is a beautiful thing. my son always says he is made of peanut butter.you can talk race and culture with your kids and still teach them to value what is import
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Not picking it apart. I'm saying how I thought it was funny. There's a difference. And you did nothing wrong just tell her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to make it sound like puppies. I love how women pick apart everything. Just having one of those oh I handled this wrong situations.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM
All I took from this thread is OP has at least 4 kids with 4 different dads. Nasty and only two kids are the same mix. How confusing.

Quoting Anonymous:

You wouldn't have this problem if you had married one person and stayed with him. Then, she could have clearly seen her heritage, shared it with all her siblings, and you could have been proud of it together. Now, she is going to feel "different". It so sad that siblings these days don't share the same parents.

Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM
10 moms liked this

Oh for gods sake must we have someone bash someone when they clearly asked for help? Things happen and folks get divorced or break up! Glad your perfect please hang your halo some place else!

Quoting Anonymous:

LovelyMommy24
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
You didn't handle it wrong, she's still young.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured