Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Well that cured my desire to try skating again.

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 10 Replies

I took my kids and my neighbors kids the the skating rink this morning.  Decided to try my hand at skating after not being on a pair in 30 odd yrs.  I didnt do to bad, only fell once.  Well I got out of the rink to rest and a woman got our right after me.  She step foot on the carpet and went down.  She ended braking her arm.  I got a couple of employees over, took off her skates and got out of the way so they could help her.  After that I decided I was to old for skating, that's its better off left for the young and pliable not me.  lol  I rink ended up giving  me 5 free passes for helping her so next weekend I'll load up the kids again and grab an extra friend of the kids and they can use them, not me.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaoftwo
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I broke my tail bone, but I dh does Derby and I hoping that I learn to skate well enough to do derby as well.

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:19 AM

LOL, yep. 

I was an avid ice skater as a child, and so was my husband.  He, now being a grown man, torqued his ankle the last time he tried and we both were like... umm, no more. 

People over twenty don't bounce.  :(

missamanda86
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I havent been on skates since the 5th grade...its better that way lol

DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Wow. I tried ice skating once when I was 12 and it was awful. DD wanted me to try again a few weeks ago. I tried! I was on the ice for 5 seconds lol. Now I'm scared to try roller skating again. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
waffa
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Never too old to skate! I have an og pair of skates (white boot with purple wheels & toestopper) and use them whenever I can.

<--- 42 over here

firefly63701
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM

No they dont, just fall like a brick. lol I felt so bad for her.  She was about my age and I decided middle age and shoes with wheels dont mix.

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

LOL, yep. 

I was an avid ice skater as a child, and so was my husband.  He, now being a grown man, torqued his ankle the last time he tried and we both were like... umm, no more. 

People over twenty don't bounce.  :(

KyrinM
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM

LOL, we went a couple weeks ago, I still have bruises on my legs!  I fell once on my own.  Been like 24 years since I skated, then after I remembered how to do it, I towed my beginner kids around the rink, their wipeouts managed to knock me down 4 more times before we were done.  I kinda agree, we're too old for this, but I really enjoyed myself, I forgot how much I loved skating.  My childhood rink went out of business the year I turned 19.  Since it was the only place for us kids to hang out on Fri & Sat night, it really sucked.

firefly63701
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I wasnt that great on them when I was a kid and havnt improved at all.  The people at the rink told me its like riding a bike but thats  not the case.

Quoting DannieLou:

Wow. I tried ice skating once when I was 12 and it was awful. DD wanted me to try again a few weeks ago. I tried! I was on the ice for 5 seconds lol. Now I'm scared to try roller skating again. :(

zoo003
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Oh no!  I hear you though.  I had my lesson in skating around 10 years ago-when I almost took out a group of kiddos.  I felt really bad, but I couldn't stop or turn, so I just yelled out something like "watch out, oh please move" (don't remember exactly, but it involved a lot of yelling and waving my hands and arms around like I was trying to signal a plane).  Thankfully, I didn't hit them and I was able to make it over to the side and got out.  I was never so happy to get anything off as I was when those skates came off.  Yep, that was the last time I went out on skates.    

firefly63701
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Lol!  I  had the problem of my feet going in different directions and not being able to get them together. 

Quoting zoo003:

Oh no!  I hear you though.  I had my lesson in skating around 10 years ago-when I almost took out a group of kiddos.  I felt really bad, but I couldn't stop or turn, so I just yelled out something like "watch out, oh please move" (don't remember exactly, but it involved a lot of yelling and waving my hands and arms around like I was trying to signal a plane).  Thankfully, I didn't hit them and I was able to make it over to the side and got out.  I was never so happy to get anything off as I was when those skates came off.  Yep, that was the last time I went out on skates.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN